Author Topic: 2004 concours  (Read 247 times)

Offline Newbie

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2004 concours
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »
I have a 2004 concours carburetor got gelled up. I have a new used one. Can I switch from the regular air filter system to a cone system with no other mods or is the more to doing this. I know it means removing the air filter box but I prefer to do that if I don't have to do anything else. I appreciate the help in advance
Thanks

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2004 concours
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:05:51 am »
 From most everything I have seen over the yrs here it's a real pain in the a** to get it right. Really don't know if anyone has gotten it right.

Lot of good info from a guy who knows the Concours.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/frequently-asked-questions

I found this.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/airbox-question-44633/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:17:42 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:10 am »
I have a 2004 concours carburetor got gelled up. I have a new used one. Can I switch from the regular air filter system to a cone system with no other mods or is the more to doing this. I know it means removing the air filter box but I prefer to do that if I don't have to do anything else. I appreciate the help in advance
Thanks

As with almost all multi-cylinder bikes, pods are generally inadvisable. It's just really a pain to tune for them.

I know it sucks having to get those carbs out and back in with the airbox, but it's 30 minutes of hair pulling vs months of chopping plugs and ordering jets.

Protip: Watch Steve Sefsick's videos on carb removal, or short of that, get yourself a heat gun and, well, y'know, heat things up...makes it much easier.

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 5753
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:49:24 pm »
I have an '86 Connie with the air box removed [by P.O.] and "pod type" filters installed. I have no idea if jetting was changed, but would rather have the stock air box. Read a few of the articles on carbs that other Coggers have written [some in Chalkdust and other articles and ,of course, carb guru SISF]. My bike runs fine for me and for what I know, but I'm sure it could be better in stock form.
I've looked into buying all of the parts to go back to stock and it ain't cheap. Added to that, I'm not really sure what all was removed, so I may have to get additional parts other than the air box, filter,boots, springs, etc.
My advise would be to leave it alone and fix what's broke.

HTH,

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307