Author Topic: 20K Maintenace for 2003  (Read 428 times)

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13020
  • Membership Level: Active
20K Maintenace for 2003
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:18:18 pm »
Short version:

Hit 20K+ on my 2003 after putting 4K on the bike in 7 months. I would like to do the maintenance myself with some assistance or use a trusted cost effective shop in the Fort Wort Texas area.

Longer version:

This is my first bike and I rode it for the first time on 11/25/18. The dealer had changed the fluids, but I am not sure about the shaft drive.

There are a couple of things that are not correct on the bike:

The Petcock does not work correctly. I can run with the petcock in any position.

The gas tank pressure overflow tube is missing and a bolt is missing from the gas tank.

I replaced the missing battery cover\tool kit holder.

A bolt is stripped on the fairing.

It is obvious that some one has worked this bike, but was not careful.

My goal is to get as much of the needed maintenance done as possible and continue to learn the "How To's" and get back on the bike ASAP.

If anyone can recommend a good cost effective shop or is willing to work with a very hands on assistant and be plied with adult beverages and good food, please let me know.

Thanks all,

DS

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
Re: 20K Maintenace for 2003
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 04:55:41 pm »
A stock petcock will allow the bike to run in all 3 positions, prime, on and reserve. Do not leave it on prime as that allows free flow of gas when the bike is not running ( look up hydrolock). On position uses a vacuum from one of the carbs to allow free flow when engine is running. Reserve position opens an opening in the petcock that is lower in the tank to get you to a gas station up to @50 miles away.

97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Bill Hookman

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 05:01:26 pm »
No need for getting a dealer involved.  If you can't find a hands-on helper, get yourself the factory service manual or a Clymer's manual.  They will have just about everything you need to know in them.  And, when you get stuck or have a question, come here and search for it, or ask the question and you will get the help you need.
Bill Hookman  Columbus, OH

The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 03:42:12 am »
So, I dove into the easy side of maintenance today and found some surprises. The previous owner had no problem leaving out bolts, nuts and other core parts when re-assembling the bike.

The tank is missing bolt and the lower cowling is missing 3 bolts and a nut leaving one bolt on the bottom holding it in place.

Thinking I could still work with what I had, I drained the oil (it was a qt low) and had to use a leaver bar to loosen the oil filter nut. Then the real fun began.

The O-ring was the wrong size on the oil filter plate and that explains why the oil filter bolt was over tightened. My K&n filter has both needed O-rings, so no problem there.

The kicker is the washer needed between the spring and filter is missing.  >:(

I order the needed part online and hope to have them by next weekend.

DS

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 03:45:43 am »
A stock petcock will allow the bike to run in all 3 positions, prime, on and reserve. Do not leave it on prime as that allows free flow of gas when the bike is not running ( look up hydrolock). On position uses a vacuum from one of the carbs to allow free flow when engine is running. Reserve position opens an opening in the petcock that is lower in the tank to get you to a gas station up to @50 miles away.

Bob,

Thanks for the reminder. I recall reading what each position will do, but not about the hydorlock issue. I double checked the petcock and I have been riding with it in the "on" position.

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 03:47:35 am »
No need for getting a dealer involved.  If you can't find a hands-on helper, get yourself the factory service manual or a Clymer's manual.  They will have just about everything you need to know in them.  And, when you get stuck or have a question, come here and search for it, or ask the question and you will get the help you need.

Bill,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Do you know where I can get a factory service manual?

DS

Offline JPD

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:51:06 am »
Did you remove both of the oil drain plugs. The c-10 has two drains plus the oil filter.

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »
Yes I did.

Thank you for checking.

I read the repair manual, then watched a couple of videos were people only drained the bolt by the filter bolt.

Checked off the steps in the manual as I went along.

DS

Offline Bill Hookman

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 12:05:18 am »

Bill,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Do you know where I can get a factory service manual?

DS

Kawasaki dealer should be able to get one for you.  I think they are available on ebay, too.  I think it's even offered in an electronic form.  A Google search (or your search engine of choice) should give you the available options.
Bill Hookman  Columbus, OH

The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 05:33:46 am »
Thanks Bill,

I'll check it out.

DS

Offline Bocajnala

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 05:26:11 am »
Dsam,

There is so much information available here on COG if you search, you'll probably find what you need.

If that doesn't work, make a post and someone will know the answer.

It's a great group here