Author Topic: 2nd petcock screen failure in 3 years  (Read 251 times)

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
2nd petcock screen failure in 3 years
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:04:18 am »
When I purchased my 2006 in 2013 I replaced the petcock with a new oem from Murphs. In 2015 I left the percock in while cleaning the tank and it leaked in the on position after reassembly  so I replaced it with another oem from Murphs. Last weekend I pulled the carburetors to install a new fuel line. I left the 90 degree filter off as the tank was ( I thought) clean. On the 38 mile ride home I stopped for gas. Upon startup I had the telltale pilot jet clog. I pulled the petcock and discovered that the screen base had warped where it presses into the aluminum, therefore allowing some unfiltered fuel to bypass the filter. I pulled my old percock out of the box and discovered the same flaw. Pretty concerned that the oem percock is failing at the same spot every time. Bike is ridden regularly. I use 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel as the non ethanol is not available here in Houston. The reason I left the Napa 3006 off is the pair valve hose to the airbox limits the room for the filter. I am just disappointed the percock is failing so early.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:02:01 am by Pbfoot »
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 2nd petcock screen failure in 3 years
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:39:47 am »
I know my petcock will drip a drop or two if it's sat for while and I turn it to prime,
but it doesn't continually leak... just the drop or two.  Seems the less you operate it,
the more likely it is to drip. 

The filter tends to warp over time... not quite sure what causes it, but mine is good after 4 years.
I use TCW-3 and Startron mix on fill ups, not sure if there's a difference.

I've read about 5 years on that screen filter is the average.  Guess I should order one.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:21:54 am »
If you can afford the high price, look at the Pingel valves, they have a stainless steel screen, but they cost about twice as much as the OEM unit.  The ones most people install in the C10 are the manual type without the vacuum operation, so you need to turn them OFF/ON yourself, which is risky if you don't have overflow tubes (which you should have in any case), and you happen to leave it ON.

You can contact them and see of they have a vacuum operated unit that will work, if you prefer that.

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/fuel-valves.asp
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 03:00:35 pm »
Nosmo. That's the plan and put the 3006 back on. I had no fuel starvation issues with a filter. I think this Texas heat makes the plastic shrink quicker.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:40:16 pm »
I would at least  let Murph know about it.  They should last at least the 5 years- That when I would replace  it.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!