Author Topic: 4 piston brake upgrade for '94+ using Nissin calipers  (Read 343 times)

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
4 piston brake upgrade for '94+ using Nissin calipers
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:28 pm »
There are a few threads on this upgrade already but had to dig to get all the necessary info. For the sake of others who still might want to do this I thought I'd publish my own experience.

My major reasons for upgrading were:
  • Better brake lever feel
  • Easier pad change
  • Mechanically more efficient (pistons are the only things that move and that work load is shared over 4 vs. 2 of oem)
  • Better looking

Choice of Nissin over Tokcio Caliper
  • Cleaner look (totally subjective)
  • Maybe slight price advantage to Nissin

What you need to do this mod:
  • Calipers from a Honda CBR 600 F4 - F4i All Model Years, 2000 - 2001 CBR 929, 2002 - 2003 CBR 954, 2003 - 2004 CBR 600RR or Honda RC-52 2001 SP2 and up.
  • SV650 Adapter Bracket (SV/DL brackets are exactly the same)
  • (4) M10x1.5mm x 40mm Stainless Steel Button Head (24ft/lbs)
  • (4) M8x1.25mm x 35mm Stainless Steel Socket Head (22ft/lbs)
  • (4) M8 Stainless washers
  • (4) 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD x 3/8" spacers

Everything bolts up pretty easily and there are no clearance issues. For ease, I would work one side at a time. Start by unbolting the current caliper and support it with a wire until you have the new caliper mounted then switch over the brake line working quickly enough to avoid brake fluid spillage. For the adapter to fork bolts I would locktite them for peace of mind. You could also safety wire them if that's your thing. After both are completed, bleed brakes per usual.

Beyond that I suggest rebuilding both donor calipers and inserting new pads before installing.
It is also worth noting that the FA296 pads used in the Nissin calipers are a tad large for the braking surface. I used a grinding wheel to remove about 1mm of material from the lower edge.

Here's the finished product.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:46:58 pm by mnbikeguy, Reason: updated applicable year mod is for »

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 4 piston brake upgrade using Nissin calipers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:38:13 pm »
Great job. I did this 2 years ago.  Maybe this can be moved to the tech page.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:32:23 pm »
I "upgraded" to four pot Nissin calipers a couple years ago. They came with the ST1300. ;D

Edit: I was wrong. My Nissin calipers are three piston units.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:41:02 am by jettawreck »
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Cal

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12008
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »
this applies to the 93+ models only I expect?  or will it work back to the 86 version?

thanks

Cal

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 01:33:18 pm »
this applies to the 93+ models only I expect?  or will it work back to the 86 version?

thanks

Cal

Correct. Earlier versions need a different adapter bracket which I think needs to be fabricated independently.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
Re: 4 piston brake upgrade for '93+ using Nissin calipers
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but 86-93 should be the single piston calipers and 94-06 would be two piston calipers.

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »
There are a few threads on this upgrade already but had to dig to get all the necessary info. For the sake of others who still might want to do this I thought I'd publish my own experience.

My major reasons for upgrading were:
  • Better brake lever feel
  • Easier pad change
  • Mechanically more efficient (pistons are the only things that move and that work load is shared over 4 vs. 2 of oem)
  • Better looking

Choice of Nissin over Tokcio Caliper
  • Cleaner look (totally subjective)
  • Maybe slight price advantage to Nissin

What you need to do this mod:
  • Calipers from a Honda CBR 600 F4 - F4i All Model Years, 2000 - 2001 CBR 929, 2002 - 2003 CBR 954, 2003 - 2004 CBR 600RR or Honda RC-52 2001 SP2 and up.
  • SV650 Adapter Bracket (SV/DL brackets are exactly the same)
  • (4) M10x1.5mm x 40mm Stainless Steel Button Head (24ft/lbs)
  • (4) M8x1.25mm x 35mm Stainless Steel Socket Head (22ft/lbs)
  • (4) M8 Stainless washers
  • (4) 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD x 3/8" spacers

Everything bolts up pretty easily and there are no clearance issues. For ease, I would work one side at a time. Start by unbolting the current caliper and support it with a wire until you have the new caliper mounted then switch over the brake line working quickly enough to avoid brake fluid spillage. For the adapter to fork bolts I would locktite them for peace of mind. You could also safety wire them if that's your thing. After both are completed, bleed brakes per usual.

Beyond that I suggest rebuilding both donor calipers and inserting new pads before installing.
It is also worth noting that the FA296 pads used in the Nissin calipers are a tad large for the braking surface. I used a grinding wheel to remove about 1mm of material from the lower edge.

Here's the finished product.

Thanks for doing the leg work  :great:
Now to explain to SWMBO how I managed to find time to buy a bunch of bike parts today
Well Ive got a couple of days before stuff starts showing up
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:58:52 pm »
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but 86-93 should be the single piston calipers and 94-06 would be two piston calipers.

YOU are correct, and it seams the O/P erred in his choice of saying "93+" models..

to clarify, it should be read as "94 and UP"..

the '86 thru '93 models A1 thru A8 were single pot, the wheels noted are a 6 spoke (3 pairs of 2, straight spokes)
 the '94 and up (A9 model, up) used douple piston fronts, the wheels are seen as having 5 spokes, that are curved.

hope that clarifies it better, and I hope the O/P "modifies" his post title to say "94 and up models"

ride safe,

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »

YOU are correct, and it seams the O/P erred in his choice of saying "93+" models..

to clarify, it should be read as "94 and UP"..

the '86 thru '93 models A1 thru A8 were single pot, the wheels noted are a 6 spoke (3 pairs of 2, straight spokes)
 the '94 and up (A9 model, up) used douple piston fronts, the wheels are seen as having 5 spokes, that are curved.

hope that clarifies it better, and I hope the O/P "modifies" his post title to say "94 and up models"

ride safe,

Thanks for the correction. I had just updated based upon what Cal asked but didn't even think to question accuracy. Post updated to reflect correct info.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: 4 piston brake upgrade for '94+ using Nissin calipers
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 01:37:21 am »
 :great: :great: :great:
thank you.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 12:34:35 am »
Great upgrade!!!  Love my Tokico 4 pots...  Really makes confident braking.

Nice write up!!
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 10:59:33 pm »
Thanks for this info, mnbikeguy.  I'm working on a very similar upgrade to my '01 and appreciate the measurements.

I'm installing:
- Nissin 4-piston calipers (gold) from an 00 CBR 929RR, axial (not radial) mounting
- SV Racing Parts brackets (DL650 model.  Sounds like DL1000, DL650, and SV650 brackets are the same)
- New EBC Pro-Lite rotors (stock size, so the brackets fit)
- New EBC HH sintered pads

Just finished rebuilding the calipers and installing the rotors and now I'm hunting down the hardware.  I bought cheap hardware of the right sizes just to check the fit of things, but I'm going with black button head bolts if I can find them.  The pads are arriving tomorrow.

Obviously I haven't assembled it enough to test ride, but your measurements appear to be spot on.  I'll post pics in a separate thread when it's done.
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10, Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, Russell Day-Long saddle, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Cee Bailey windshield.
In process:  EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers

Offline Charliedog

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 06:53:42 pm »
Did the Nissin calipers a few years ago, and I'd say it was the best mod I could have done for me C10.  I'm hard on the front brakes, and the difference in stopping power was very noticeable.