Author Topic: 87 Fuel Leak/Dripping  (Read 850 times)

Offline PapaFredrico

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 87 Fuel Leak/Dripping
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 03:23:24 am »
So lots of news.

I contacted the original owner.  He was a member here for at least a decade.  He told me it has not been fitted with overflow tubes, and that he was the original owner.  He pointed out a couple other things as well, most notably that it's the California model with all the extra emissions goodies.  He gave the bike to his brother quite some time ago and apparently his brother didn't use it or really care for it.

Clymer manual showed up today and I pulled the gas tank off.  The fuel line had a sizable hole in it right after the metal 90.  The petcock also had some type of gray gunk around it (what looked like gasket sealant) so that isn't a good thing either.

I pulled everything apart (labeling stuff as needed) and most of the connections to the carbs (still have to undo throttle cable, etc) and found another holey hose attached to one of them.  Going to see if Harbor Freight has a cheap heat gun.  Don't know that I can afford Shoudabeen yet, but looking to get the carbs in his direction ASAP.

Right now I need: fairing screws (missing a few of the inners from the windshield surround - the female inserts), another fuel main line (assuming this is just bulk hose I can buy at NAPA), another of the smaller lines to the carbs, a fuel tank bolt (there was only one).  Good times.

In short, I'm not really sure if the carbs have issues or not but I think it makes sense to get them done and get the overflow tubes put in.  The bike ran fine before (amazingly) so it will be interesting to see how it runs sans holey hoses.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:20 am »
Petcock and fuel line can be purchased at Murphkits. The fuel line is not a automobile fuel line it is motorcycle specific.
Not sure about the metal 90, is that a metal elbow that is right above the carbs that allows the fuel line to go straight down to the carbs? If so that is not stock setup. Some of us put a 90 degree inline fuel filter there, Napa 3006.
Check inside fuel tank for rust too, you want to make sure you are feeding them clean gas or they can go bad fast.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:33:54 am by Bob_C_CT »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 02:41:10 pm »
All that you posted sounds like good news.
1# A holey hose is a lot better than a holey gas tank.
2# A leaking petcock is a lot better than a overflowing carb.
3# Be a little more specific about the screws you need, PM me an address, and I'll send you some.
4# Being able to talk to the owner is a great way to find needed info.
5# Murph has Petcocks, Petcock Kits, Tygon fuel hose, SS screw kits for the fairing and windshield, and gobs of Farkles if you ever want something.  {Has anyone sent you his address?}
6# Your in contact with the COGdom. Lots of knowledge about the Connie available.
7# Labeling is good. Photo's with your phone is helpful too.
8# Your already planning a "spa trip" for your Carbs at Steve's.. Good plan..

I also installed a metal tube in the bent section of my fuel line. Installed to prevent a possible hose collapse.

The bolts that hold the gas tank can break easily. See if you have a broken bolt thread in the hole?

So, what's your next step?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline PapaFredrico

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 06:21:54 pm »
Agreed connie_rider, none of this stuff sounds that bad.

As far as screws, there's a bunch missing here and there.  They were steel so a few are stripped as well and rusting.  I found an anodized aluminum set on Ebay that I've already ordered.  Just going to replace them everywhere.  I also needed a set of screws for the windshield (a few were missing and even missing the insert) so I ordered those as well.

I found Murph's this morning and ordered the fuel hose from them.

Right now my plan was to pull the carbs and try and send them off to Florida (or wherever Steve is).  I know that I need standpipes (I don't know how anyone rides without them), and given the fact that the bike was obviously sitting and hasn't been maintained since its real owner let go of it, there's probably carb service I need as well.  I'll pull and change the plugs (just because I'm here), and change the oil, etc.

So right now the plan is to wait for parts to show up, and for my carbs to get back.  But after that the plan is to ride a lot.  :)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 06:35:48 pm »
Sounds like a good plan!

While you have the plastic off, I suggest; look the hoses over, flush the clutch/brake fluids, check the tires for cracking, look at the coolant, etc...

Connie is a tough old bird so I suspect "all" will be fine for many miles to come.

See ya on the road, Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!