Author Topic: 94 Connie indicator/turn signal  (Read 765 times)

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
  • Writer, photographer, teacher, motorcyclist
    • Mechanical Sympathy
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11677
  • Membership Level: Active
94 Connie indicator/turn signal
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:14:20 am »
A 94 Connie I've been fixing up after finding her in a field.  She's in good shape now but for a last electrical glitch.  The left turn signal works great, as does everything else, but the right signal doesn't flash on the front light and goes at double time on the back (which does work).

I figured it was a blown bulb, but the old one looked ok.  I tried swapping it out for a generic one with similar wattage, no luck.  I went to the dealer and got an exact match, no luck.  I put a voltmeter on it and it looks like it's doing almost 12 volts through one contact and varies in time with the flash through the other one (the indicator).  The ground seems constant.

Are there any tricks to replacing bulbs on Connie turn signals?  Is there a generic one that works?  Any tips or tricks?

So close to being finished and getting her on the road!

Offline BobT_MA

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 94 Connie indicator/turn signal
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:21 pm »
I haven't replaced a bulb in a Connie, but have in my ZL and if its the same type of socket/bulb; a double filament, one for the turn signal and the other for the running lights, it may have a spring underneath the double contacts.  And you mentioned that this was a field find, it might be that spring or contact plate might not be touching the contacts of the bulb, creating a open circuit.  Try to see if that contact plate does have some travel or if its stuck in the down position.
Bob

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:38:12 pm »
Yea, it sounds like your just having a contact problem with the bulb or something in the socket itself.
One thought; a 2 filament bulb has 2 locating pins on the sides. One pin is near the edge and the other is farther away. The socket is built the same.
Are you sure you are putting the correct pins in the correct slots?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
    • Mechanical Sympathy
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »
I'm afraid I'm going to be peeling off the dash and chasing down more loose/corroded connections  :(

The bulb can only be installed one way due to the guide bumps on the side, so I don't think it's in the wrong way round.

Once I've got the working side off I'll have a look at how things are wired up over there and see if anything's different.  I can also test my new bulbs in a working socket...  Further developments will be posted!

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:18:47 pm »
Hello tk1ng:

If memory serves me correctly the front was wired stock as a directional but Murph's Kits sells the conversion kit to double as a running light.

Either way getting to the socket just requires removal of the plastic trim panel, remember the Phillips screws inside the storage pocket.

Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
    • Mechanical Sympathy
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »
If I had smaller hands I might have been able to do it without removing the dash, but I couldn't get in there with the dash on.

I took it all off again yesterday.  Swapping the working light & wire loom from the left didn't work on the right.  The right side worked on the left though, so I started retracing the indicator wiring across the front of the bike and to the big wiring harness on the left side.  After cleaning all the connections I put it back together and lo, the indicators all work.

On the upside I've got a couple of spare bulbs now  :great:

If Connies sit in a field for a while, the first thing you want to do it clean all the wiring harnesses I suppose.

I also bled the front brakes which feel much tighter now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 05:34:32 pm »
Unlike a car, a bike just isn't made to be left out in the weather all the time.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics