Author Topic: 99 concours home made windshield with vent or buy new windshield with vent?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline The ice man

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
I have to much heat coming from the engine. The windshield that was on the bike, when I bought it, is short and has no vent.  I have extended it with lexan. This is temporary, I would like to make or buy a new windshield with a vent.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Other than adding a Laminar Lip product to a stock windscreen, there is basically no vents, or anything you could do, to effect any cooler flow of air, with the windshield.... other than cutting it down short... which, it seams you have.. sorry.
Other options for reducing pervieved heat from the engine can be found, altering the side vents, relocating the coolant resergoir and allowing that space to add some airflow from below, and if you wish, attempting some side fairing heat block off baffles.. but I find that just holds heat in, and can cause other issues like overhating, heating the fuel tank too much, and reducing the designed intent for cooling air pathways

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
For improving airflow of the windshield, best I've read about (in my opinion) is the Madstad adjustable.
www.madstad.com

As MoB said, the rest is improving general airflow: Baker Air Wings, improved lower wings, the new idea someone has with putting a wing in front of the vents to increase air velocity, etc.
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c10/vent-flaps-for-engine-heat/

Offline Bud

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
I love my madstad!  I do think if I were gonna do it over, I would get the tallest shield.  Most of the time I run mine all the way up.  The extra would be nice in the winter and you can lower it so that you can see over it in warm weather.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
MadStad are top of the line and expensive. I went with a "Pulg" produce that does about the same thing.
It's plastic, it's been on a few years and works just as well. Around $110 is what I paid.
search pulg.com, I think.

Offline Bud

• Scooter
MadStad are top of the line and expensive.

I don't have lots of money to throw around, but, my madstad is the best thing I've done to my connie.  Spent the same amount of money for a tubular handlebar mount and bars that didn't make me happy.  Have a pile of seats that didn't make me happy.  So yes, it's not cheap, and yes I'm top of the line happy.  My efforts at cheaping out, have, in the end, cost me more money than if I'd just bought what I really wanted to begin with. To each his own though...It also adds a touch of modern motorcycle look to the old girl.   :motonoises: :motonoises:

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • COG#: 11328
Ice Man,check on Craig Vetters on-line offerings. He has a vent for his windshields that will work on anybodies,just cut and glue.    The Wizard
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:40:08 am by The Wizard »
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later velorex      sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98 Concours for ressurection + a '98 coming               CDA#540

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
EIce Man,check on Craig Vetters online offerings. He has a vent for his fairings that will work on anybodies,just cut and glue.    The Wizard

I did a screen using the Vetter pop outs.. didn't do a thing for heat.. did offer a slight backpressure relief for buffeting, but zero cooling adder.. I wouldn't cut holes again to try it, you really have to be carfull, and deburr everything, else the screen will crack...

But what can I say, have at it. :great:

Didn't offer anything more than a Rifle screen with lower vent panel did, and we modded one of those also using the pop outs, and it made a bunch more turbulance than without, or the stocker with pops.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Love my Rifle system.  As MOB says, doesn't help the engine heat, but after trimming it to the best height for me, I have no turbulence, great weather protection and it doesn't look too bad either.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
   Madstad or Rifle?   I have had the Rifle for yrs and like it. Also had the Madstad for about 4 months (to much air) but went back to the Rifle. You being it the SW would probably like the Madstad for the better air flow on those hot SW days!! :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
MadStad are top of the line and expensive. I went with a "Pulg" produce that does about the same thing.
It's plastic, it's been on a few years and works just as well. Around $110 is what I paid.
search pulg.com, I think.

I found www.puigusa.com - is that them?

What product of theirs did you have? Only thing I can find is a laminar lip-style item (but no pricing...their website is less than great)

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • COG#: 11328
I found their website useless for here in America,they setup different in Euorpe???
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later velorex      sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98 Concours for ressurection + a '98 coming               CDA#540

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
I'll second the Madstad, the shield can pull lots of air towards the rider when the shield is in the lowest and furthest back position.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline John_Atkinson

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5921
I've had a Rifle on the bike since (I believe) early 1994...6 or 7 years ago I replaced the tall screen with one that was slightly shorter. I also used a hole-saw attachment and drilled a large (approx. 1.5" diameter) on either side of the vent in the Rifle base.

I've been happy with it ever since...cuts down on some turbulence and back pressure and gives me a little better air flow

Love my Rifle system.  As MOB says, doesn't help the engine heat, but after trimming it to the best height for me, I have no turbulence, great weather protection and it doesn't look too bad either.
John Atkinson
Windsor, ON
CANADA
COG #5921
'91 Concours "Zeke" - 218,000 km and counting........

Offline kkja13

• Bicycle
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
Has anyone tried to re-direct the built in Rifle vent more toward your body instead of up the backside of the windshield?
While riding I've noticed that if I put my hand up where the vent is, I can angle the air more towards me.  Seems like a viable option for those with a Rifle shield.
I may get a hunk of lexan and figure out a way to mount it on top of the dash.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:35:58 pm by kkja13 »
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Snake

• snake89
  • Tricycle
  • Snake
  • AREA: Southeast Area
I wish someone made a shorter shield for these bikes. I bought my 03 a few months ago with a Madstat on it. It would wobble a little around 70 mph no matter where i put it. I will not look through a shield on a bike. Ive got a truck if i wanna look through a shield. I took of the shield and mount, left the Madstat plate on and installed a Puig clipon deflector. I LOVE IT and i get some wind flow which is what riding a bike is all about. Anyone wanting Puig products find a bike dealer that buys from Western Power Sports (WPS) They carry them.
I can beat the Paramedics to my crashes by at least 10 minutes.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
That looks very cool, it's unfortunate you couldn't make the MadStad shield section work for you. Maybe one of their shorter shields would have functioned better, I think I ordered the 16", I find that on the lowest setting you get plenty of air and are looking over the shield not through.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline SantaCruzRider

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 8702
When I wanted more venting, I cut the top half or more off a stock shield and enjoyed full air on the chest and helmet. Was a great shield for summer in Cali.

I would switch out to a full aftermarket shield when temps dipped, usually Halloween through April-ish.

Note that it had no noticeable benefit on engine heat hitting feet and legs, so that's another issue.
Dan Breeden
Concourier editor emeritus (2015-'16), OtP rider 2017
'94 Concours; '01 FZ1

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
I wish someone made a shorter shield for these bikes. I bought my 03 a few months ago with a Madstat on it. It would wobble a little around 70 mph no matter where i put it. I will not look through a shield on a bike. Ive got a truck if i wanna look through a shield. I took of the shield and mount, left the Madstat plate on and installed a Puig clipon deflector. I LOVE IT and i get some wind flow which is what riding a bike is all about. Anyone wanting Puig products find a bike dealer that buys from Western Power Sports (WPS) They carry them.

JUSTA Thought; I have a MRA Vario Windshield on my C-14. The wind control and lack of buffeting sold me on the shield.
They are sold by; Twisted throttle.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08

The reason I mention a C-14 shield is MRA also offers the X-creen. It's a wing that attaches to the top of a shield and looks much like the Puig clipon deflector that Snake suggested.

I know of some that have used it with success...
A stock shield with the lip removed and an X-creen might be the answer to your wants..
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-sport-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on-and-clamp-on-hardware-included

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
I got interested in this MOD and need an old C-10 windshield to make a deflector like a MRA-Vario.
Does anyone have an old junker setting around that I can have/buy cheap?

I plan to cut a section out of it.

Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
I build a copy of the MRA Vario for my C-10.
  I call it a TWA Vario <evil grin>  {Ted W Adcock}

Used a cut-down stock shield that I already had, and added a piece from another stocker to make the deflector.
It's adjustable so I can adjust air flow where I want.
Haven't got to ride it yet. But it looks like it will be ok.
More later...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:09:01 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
you could just install a vent from a GL1800, I am purdy sure it would fit, just need to cut the squareish hole where you want the vent to go and boom your good to go. I am sure you can find the vents on ebay or amazon for cheaper, but this link has a video n stuff as information.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/national-cycle-vstream-windshield-vent-honda-goldwing-1800-2001-2016?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn6DMBRC0ARIsAHZtCeNmqIRC4lHHZJrrKWwxt_6khlElDD_eTktRRHFjJ4n0ojAMVVJToqEaApWEEALw_wcB

Just watched the video, they don't talk about the vent until around about 7:20 mark.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:59:15 pm by Warwgn »

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
You can buy a vent with adjustable louvers from Clearview too.

The buffeting was by far the biggest need for my quest to find the right shield.

I tried a lot of 'em - homemade tall and short, cut down stockers, Cee Baileys and Rifle's of different heights.

MadStad was the best I've found and its adjustable. 

Haven't looked back or felt the need to look for improvements since.

I love looking 6 - 8 inches above the shield with an unimpeded view, yet good wind and bug protection with minimal buffeting.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline ZGirl

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 5995
I had a Rifle but my husband rigged up a shield with Firecreek Slides after we purchased a shield from a fellow COGger that was moving on to an FJR around 2007.  It was very inventive.  It consisted of Firecreek slides and a Gustafsson shield and stock shield; cut down as a base.  We have the only two in existence as far as we know.  The slides make it very adjustable. 

He was really just afraid that I was going to steal his shield for my bike....   :D

Honestly, we have had these custom shields on our bikes for close to 10 years and they are PERFECT.  Will post pics later if anyone is interested.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender.htm
https://bikescreen.com/products/kawasaki-concours-1986-2005
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177  2003 Candy Cardinal Red "Dances with Winds"  2004 Shiney, Yellow SV-650  "Princess Buttercup", 2009 DL650 Candy Max Orange "Diefenbaker"

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
I made a short shield for mine, I like it.

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics