Author Topic: Russell Day Long saddle too tall...  (Read 451 times)

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Russell Day Long saddle too tall...
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:03 pm »
OK...I have a 2002 C-10 with a Russell Day Long saddle...I also have a second gen Kawasaki seat...the one that looks like a Corbin...I feel much more comfortable using the Kawasaki seat because the rider's portion of the seat is much lower than the RDL...with a passenger, full tank of fuel, and, loaded bags the RDL is a problem because of the height of the seat...the problem is that my passenger (spouse) likes the RDL and doesn't want to change it...so, I have been thinking about having the rider's portion of the RDL modified to more closely resemble the Kawasaki seat.

Anybody ever tried that?  What happened...?  Any suggestions...maybe somewhere to have it done...I live near Little Rock...

Thanks for your input...

Online dcstrng

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12985
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Russell Day Long saddle too tall...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:39:54 pm »
I have not (on a Connie), but don’t see an issue if the Russell is modified by them… was it made for you? I’ve had Rocky Mayer build a couple of seat/saddles for me and don’t think I’d trust a local stitchery to modify it – on the other hand, if height (as v. long-pavement endurance) is the only issue I suppose the priorities could be different.
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 01:02:11 pm »
Not sure lowering the seat is possible due to the seat's design.  Is your problem with seating position,
or footing when stopped?  With my RDL I put bar risers on to fix the seating position.  Worked great.
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 02:10:10 pm »
Footing...and, no...it wasn't built for me...I just happen to fit it...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:22:39 pm by CRocker »

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 04:06:25 pm »
Remove the cover on the Russell and remove some of the foam to lower your seating position. If you don't feel comfortable doing it I'm sure you could send it to Russell for modification.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10014
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 04:29:04 pm »
OK...I have a 2002 C-10 with a Russell Day Long saddle...I also have a second gen Kawasaki seat...the one that looks like a Corbin...I feel much more comfortable using the Kawasaki seat because the rider's portion of the seat is much lower than the RDL...with a passenger, full tank of fuel, and, loaded bags the RDL is a problem because of the height of the seat...the problem is that my passenger (spouse) likes the RDL and doesn't want to change it...so, I have been thinking about having the rider's portion of the RDL modified to more closely resemble the Kawasaki seat.

Anybody ever tried that?  What happened...?  Any suggestions...maybe somewhere to have it done...I live near Little Rock...

Thanks for your input...
FYI....there is a spring in that seat.  It's one of those S curved ones layed across it.  It's in place when they inject the foam in the molds they use.  Have seen their place in action as I rode a C14 out there to let them make some adjustments.  Do not remember at what depth that spring is so taking foam off may/may not be possible??  Russell does make a sport model seat that allows a rider to move around more meaning those wings are much less pronounced.  Perhaps that model would better suit you.  These Russells IMO are very nice and before you mod it I'd talk to them to get a better idea of how to make it fit you better.  With that said.....if you go with Russell to remodel it you may have more than sensible money tied up.  Talk to them

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12723
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:38:42 pm »
It also helps to slide forward, all the way to the tank, when coming to a stop. That moves your legs away from the wings and to the narrow part of the seat. It helps me in getting my feet all the way to the ground for solid footing.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »
+1 Jim, me too, it took a little getting used to when stopping but makes a big difference.
Gotta move forward of the wings for me with a 30" inseam to get both feet down.
I only use the RDL when going all day two up, otherwise its back to the newer model stocker.
Good Luck, let us know how you make out.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Rastus

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12520
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:08:03 pm »
The butt-cup on the stock seat on my ‘03 was too restrictive. I always felt like I needed to slide rearward a couple inches for the ergonomics to be right for me. I toyed with the idea of a pricey aftermarket seat, but went with a stock seat from an ‘86, which is almost flat, and allows more rearward movement. Problem solved! A shorn-sheepskin seat cover from Wildthings Fur helps with long-distance comfort.

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 06:55:42 pm »
Talk to Russell. I also have a daylong built for someone else but my problem is exact opposite of you, it was built for someone a bit smaller than me. It needs to be rebuilt and I've held off calling them but they were the only option for me to touch the seat for the reasons stated above. Shipping is the big cost here.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter 1982 CB125s 1980 BMW R-65  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline Proliant

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12522
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 10:57:23 pm »
Exactly what I did ..... I have the stock seat for my ‘04 and it’s nice if I’m out riding sporty, but for anything over a couple hours I prefer the seat off my old ‘86 and frankly it’s on there a lot. Flat and wide suits my rather wide posterior and gives me some stretching room that I don’t get with the “correct” seat. I do use one of those bead covers if it’s a really long ride (6-10 hours) like I’m about to do going from Denver to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri for my sons graduation from boot camp in a couple days.

The butt-cup on the stock seat on my ‘03 was too restrictive. I always felt like I needed to slide rearward a couple inches for the ergonomics to be right for me. I toyed with the idea of a pricey aftermarket seat, but went with a stock seat from an ‘86, which is almost flat, and allows more rearward movement. Problem solved! A shorn-sheepskin seat cover from Wildthings Fur helps with long-distance comfort.