Author Topic: Advice on buying or not  (Read 934 times)

Offline Sam

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Advice on buying or not
« on: May 20, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »
Hello, i joined the forum to ask this question: thoughts on buying  a 2006 Concours.
I am 50, 5'4" and 260lbs so short and fat...
I like the style and performance, but i recently sold my 1989 goldwing because of the weight.
I do like cruisers but i miss performance and speed.
I will ride alot in town and may take a dew long weekend trips.
Is a Concours the best option?

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Advice on buying or not
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 04:13:17 pm »
Connie is tall and top heavy.  She's not very forgiving if you make slow speed mistakes.  Read the Connie droppers anonymous section.
http://forum.cog-online.org/connie-droppers-anonymous/
If you're good at one foot stops because of your height, maybe.  My first thought is it's not a good fit.  You can lower the bike a bit and switch to a lower seat.  I would tell you to at least go sit on one and see what you think.  They are great bikes if they fit you.  Also note that some of the 2006 models had some oil pump issues.  Welcome to the COG forum! :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 04:24:54 pm »
Hi and welcome.

The 5'4" thing is a bit problematic. The Connie is quite tall and a bit top heavy for playing in town. It can be done but it's not really it's forte. There are lowering kits around to find but as far as I know, nobody is making them anymore.

Also, the '06 was the end of production and some of them seemed to get oil pumps with tolerance issues.

You may want to consider something different.

You may want to consider a Wee Strom or 650 Versys. I'm pretty sure on the Wee and positively sure on the Versys that lowering kits are available. These bikes will be upwards of 200lbs lighter than a c-10 but only give up about 1/3 or 1/2 of a second in quarter mile times and use about 20% less fuel. Tires are also a lot easier to find and better quality, especially for the rear.

I put over 200k miles on a c-10 and went to a 650 Versys, a '15. I'm not looking back. Much better suspension, fuel injection, and a blast to ride. A whole lot easier in town but will go down the highway all day at 80(or better) loaded up like a rented mule. And a lot less heat, particularly in city/town riding. I just returned from a two week, 3900 mile jaunt to flog it in NC and AR. And they are still in production.

The only caveat, and it can be frustrating, is chain drive. A little education and diligent maintenance here goes a long way, however.

One advantage of a c-10 is riding in the shoulder seasons. When I lived in MN my riding season was extended by two full months. That said, the fairing on my Versys works better than it looks like it should. The fuel range on all mentioned bikes above is pretty much even, though at sub 70 speeds my Versys is good for upwards of 300 miles if I baby it, which I almost never do.

HTH, and happy hunting.

PS. Bud also covered it pretty well while I was typing this long *ss essay.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 04:30:54 pm »
It's not for me to decide whether the bike is for you or not. But, I'm 5'8" and I had to lower my bike a couple inches before I was comfortable with it. I prefer being able to flat-foot the bike at a stoplight). Not only is the bike a bit tall, but it's also a little top heavy (although only really noticeable at low speeds).
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 04:39:14 pm »
30" inseam, short at 5"7, no issues for me, but lowering would def help. My ex father in law had an 88? concours, and he had a 26? " inseam, rode that bike into his 60s.  he , and i , have a corbin seat which is lower and helped.  you just have to sit on one and feel it out.

Online Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:46:31 pm »
I'm at 5'9" with 30" inseam. After I put it he 17" rims and tires I can almost flat foot it but not quite.
See if you can sit on one but I think being top heavy with the height I would try some other bikes too, the Versys sounds like it's worth a look.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 02:35:04 am »
I am 5'6" 30" inseam 130lbs. I love my 94' but it can be a challenge. I wear my logger boots and I can barely flatfoot it. On trips it is totally worth the extra weight and once you are rolling you don't even notice the size. For regional rides I use my 84' Honda Sabre 700. At 80hp it is no slouch, especially as light as I am. 
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike
1974 Honda CB550 K0

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:26:26 am »
I have both the c10 and the Versys 650 with a lowering kit. 5'6" 30" inseam. The c10 is for 2 up riding and the Versys is my go to work, around town bike. Not sure if we would want to take a multi day trip on the Versys. Note I said we. The wife loves the c10  so much we now have 2. Several years ago my buddy got back into riding and was looking at a shadow due to the low seating. Ended up with a 650 Ninja.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 11:56:37 am »
I am 5'6" 30" inseam 130lbs. I love my 94' but it can be a challenge. I wear my logger boots and I can barely flatfoot it. On trips it is totally worth the extra weight and once you are rolling you don't even notice the size. For regional rides I use my 84' Honda Sabre 700. At 80hp it is no slouch, especially as light as I am.
Nice Sabre ya got there!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 12:16:46 pm »
As you rode a Wing, the weight will not be a big issue.
Because of your height, the height could be.
But, it's a simple fix..

ie; Norm Soucy is still making lowering Rockers for the C-10.
     Offers them in various drop's. {I suggest his standard 1 1/2"}
       I can get you his address/phone number if needed?

By the way, I bought my first Connie when I was 50.. 18 years later, I'm still riding them.
The Connie has been a great bike for me...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:31:30 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 12:22:00 pm »
Nice Sabre ya got there!

Thanks Bud, the Sabre will do anything the C-10 will except carry as much weight. I can use it on long trips but why not have multiple bikes. :great:
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike
1974 Honda CB550 K0

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:28:31 pm »
As you rode a Wing, the weight will not be a big issue.
Because of your height, the height could be.
But, it's a simple fix..

I bought my first Connie when I was 50.. 18 years later, I'm still riding them.

Norm Soucy is still making lowering Rockers for the C-10.
Offers them in various drop's. {I suggest his standard 1 1/2"}

I can get you his address/phone number if needed?

Ride safe, Ted

Oops! I thought Norm had quit making them.

OP, never mind about that part of my above post, sorry.

Ted, thanks for the correction. And the plaque. Already colored in and on the bike.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 01:41:15 pm »
It's not for me to decide whether the bike is for you or not. But, I'm 5'8" and I had to lower my bike a couple inches before I was comfortable with it. I prefer being able to flat-foot the bike at a stoplight). Not only is the bike a bit tall, but it's also a little top heavy (although only really noticeable at low speeds).
This/\
I did a couple of things and Ive got mine so low I can flat foot with a RDL seat
best advice Ive seen is go sit on one and see how it feels
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 02:07:35 pm »
One other option is to check out the Motorcycle Ergonomics simulator.  http://cycle-ergo.com

It'll give you options on how to modify the bike, how short/tall you are and what your inseam is, etc.  Then you can see how the ergonomics are for the riding position and when stopped with your feet on the ground.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Online Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 09:16:18 am »
Chris, that is a cool site you provided. It is pretty accurate for me on the feet to the ground, but read their FAQ and it states that the feet to ground is not very accurate because of numerous variables such as your thigh thickness, differences in suspension setup from bike to bike, etc.
Pretty accurate to me though, thanks for posting.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 11:19:21 am »
Regarding how the weight of a Wing vs C10 feels, it's apples to oranges until you get in the "Tipover zone" where the weight suddenly appears and the earths suddenly sucks you down, then they both get heavy quickly. The Wing has a much wider Tipover zone than the C-10 because the Wing engine is a flat six  and the tank is below the seat. The C-10 (and C-14) are tall 4's with high mounted tanks. The C-10 has the biggest tank of them all (7.5 gal.).

Best way I can describe the way it feels to me, is that it feels "pear-like" with the weight of the Wing down low, the C-10 the opposite andup high. Very little room for error with the C-10 while you're learning. I nearly dropped mine 2-3X times when I first got it, but was able to catch it, because I'm tall and had leverage with my long legs and arms out nearly straight while flat footing the bike. Obviously feeling the tip point and controlling for it is a learnable skill, just be careful for the first 500 miles and at very slow speeds.

Once you're rolling, both bikes handle great and feel similar to me. The Wing is more linearly stable and barely subject to crosswinds, the C-10 being a shorter wheelbase, big fairing, so forth is a little "busier" at interstate speeds.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
Chris, that is a cool site you provided. It is pretty accurate for me on the feet to the ground, but read their FAQ and it states that the feet to ground is not very accurate because of numerous variables such as your thigh thickness, differences in suspension setup from bike to bike, etc.
Pretty accurate to me though, thanks for posting.
Even if it isn't totally accurate, you can adjust the inseam length to give the same result as you have with a known bike, then select the bike you're researching.  A nice part about it too, is that you can open multiple bikes at the same time and go from one to another.

I'm 5'6.5" on a good day.  The ".5 inch" comes only if I stretch, but when you're short, every half inch counts.  :D  In my early days of getting back into riding, I watched a video of a young petite police officer compete in one of those gymkhana police events.  She was tiny and couldn't touch the ground on both sides, let alone flat-foot the bike, yet she tossed that huge police motorcycle around like it was nothing.  I figured if she could handle a bike that big, so could I.

It's great when I can come to a stop in the depression of a tire track and have my feet touch the ground completely.  But most of the time I'm on the balls of my feet, or even just the toe.  The "trick" for me is to know that no matter what, I'm not going to let that bike lean.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Roger Dodger

• Officer
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 6017
  • Membership Level: Industry Liaison
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
Sam, You can ride anything you want .... but everyone has a 'different' opinion.

I think the Versus is a nice alternative too.  Anything from 500cc to a 1300cc Hayabusa is now considered a Sport- Tourer.

http://forum.cog-online.org/non-concours-classifieds/2007-ninja-650r/

Check out this COGgers Ninja and note that it is well maintained. Just another shorter, lighter alternative.

Offline Cherryriver

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 13015
Notes on the Versys 650 against the C10
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 04:04:03 pm »
While this thread is older and perhaps stale, I can offer a bit of insight on the Versys 650LT.
The Missus is a newer rider, about two years now.  She's on the long side but not very so.
She's gone through a number of bikes looking for what works (she's fortunate that way).  Her first "big" bike was an NC700X DCT, which I immediately installed Soupy's links on; I found that I needed to lower it about 1.75" (53mm).  I shortened the sidestand myself and got an "S" centerstand from Japan's WebBike.  She was okay with that and then along came a '13 Ninja 650 which she took to pretty quickly.
That eventually led to selling those and buying a new Versys 650LT.  I also immediately installed the Motowerks (I think) lowering kit which had you raise the fork tube about 1.5" (I think), and which brought down the seat about the same 1.75" at most.  She then added a Sargent "low" seat.
Yeah, well, it's still to tall for her to be comfortable with, especially in traffic.  And there's no lowering any further- that's all you can do.
So she found a low-mile Suzuki SV650S, which, after the tossing of the clipons and installation of one of my reserve sets of Heli Multi Tour Sport handlebars, has become her one-and-only.  The brand-new Versys sits, and I have to ride it every so often to keep it fresh.
And I have to tell you, the throttle response on that thing is unpleasant.  It's a 2018, and Steve/Shoodaben tells me they changed the mapping or something that year.  He does not have a flash for it.  I installed a "Booster Plug" fueling modifier that did absolutely nothing.  A waste of $160, and the maker says it should work.  It doesn't, not on this bike.
So despite being a Kawasaki brand-fan to a very considerable degree, the V650 just takes up space in the garage.  It's taller to me than even the Connie, although it is fairly narrow.  It also vibes more than I care for, and that's coming from a guy who started life on a BSA twin.
Forced to choose between riding a lowered C10 and a lowered, brand-new V650LT, I'd probably take the Connie despite its age and dated suspension.
1999 C10
2000 ZRX1100
2009 FJR1300
The Missus: 2004 SV650S, 2018 Versys 650LT

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 12:20:34 am »
NOTICE: Since Sam posted this question {in May} he never came back to discuss our comments, "and" has never made another post of any kind on the Forum.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Gitbox

• Road Bike
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 02:46:33 pm »
It's like talking on and on into your phone without realizing the other person has hung up.  :)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Proliant

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12522
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 11:10:09 pm »
I think your height will work against you on a C10 or a C14. C10’s are rather top heavy with a full tank of gas .... I’ve owned 3 and dropped 2. I am 6’2” and 280 so it’s not really a matter of strength or leverage. It’s the nature of the engineering that created the bike. I believe that if you were unhappy with the weight of an older GW that this won’t be much better. I am truly sorry to say. However, try one out and if it works for you than it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 07:13:33 pm »
I think Sam has ghosted us.

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike