Author Topic: Advise on selling 1999 ZG1000 with only 9K ORIGINAL miles  (Read 412 times)

Offline twerle

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Advise on selling 1999 ZG1000 with only 9K ORIGINAL miles
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:11:22 am »
Hi all!
So my uncle got this bike BRAND NEW, and I got all the paperwork to prove it, the title still says 0 miles.
I just dropped $1,500 in a mechanic shop since the bike was in the garage for 3 years and it would NOT start, and after replacing all the following:

- BRAND NEW Tires, they were never ridden
- Brand new, Brakes, Pads and rotors
- Brand new battery
- Fully restored carburetor, all needles and plastic & rubber parts were changed
- Oil change
- Fully flushed radiator

Bike comes with:
- ALL manuals and all original paperwork, bill of sale when brand new, ALL mechanicals maintenance paperwork
- 3 Original keys
- Saddlebags

I want to sell it.

I'm thinking 3K, what do you guys say? Since this bike may the ONLY one with that age and 9K miles in the entire US.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:17:12 am by twerle »

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Advise on selling 1999 ZG1000 with only 9K ORIGINAL miles
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 05:56:59 am »
In November 2017 I bought a 2004 Concours with 11K miles from a dealership for $3,000. The bike was pristine, everything was included - saddlebags, manual, toolkit. The covers that hide the saddlebag "antler" mounting plate were missing. This dealership is pretty proud of their inventory with bikes priced accordingly. Some will probably say I paid too much.
There are those who will say that a bike with such low miles will have problems but I didn't find that to be true for me. Tires, naturally need to be changed, along with fluids. After going over the bike I rode it 3,000 miles the following spring in Mexico. The final drive did have a slight drip and after buying the seals the leak stopped - the seals still hang on my garage wall.
You're probably in the ballpark with the price, especially considering the work you've had done. The '99 in it's dark green paint is a beautiful color. This bike could last the buyer for years.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:06:42 am »
Congrats on getting your uncles bike up and running.
The $3000 price is at the top of the price scale. With the newer model, C14, that can be found used for around $5k, you are going to find it tough to find the right buyer.
Check craigslist, around the northeast I've seen some priced around $3.5k and have been on there for awhile.

Greenie, the 97 and 98 are the Windsor green color, the 99 is the purple color I believe and that isn't a popular color.

You may want to post some pictures (left and right side, front and rear view and dash with handlebars in view) and we may be able to point out some add ons (farkles) that may help in adding to the description for the sale.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:56:37 am by Bob_C_CT »
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:42:17 pm »
"Greenie, the 97 and 98 are the Windsor green color, the 99 is the purple color I believe and that isn't a popular color." Dang, you're right. I've got the '98 - it's a parts bike now.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:26:30 am »
I say keep the bike. You should not have spent $1500 because these bikes, no matter how nice, are not worth more than $2000.

Btw, I bought my 2001, pristine, a few years ago with less miles than yours and for far less $$ than your bike. All I needed to do immediately was get the carbs cleaned by steve and 2 new tires.

I have seen the early C14 go for $4K.

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:50:45 pm »
Here in Az everyone seems to use 3000 bucks as a starting point, so your right in the ballpark to start negotiations, just make sure your prepared to accept an offer quite a bit lower. Good luck