Author Topic: Aftermarket mufflers??  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Aftermarket mufflers??
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:49 am »
   After 22 yrs I treated my C10 to new exhaust!  Last year I did a baffelectomy to my oem mufflers and didn't really care for the sound. It was just louder but doesn't suit my taste.
   So a couple of weeks ago I replaced the mufflers with these.

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=7607_8930_9019&product_id=2828

Price is right and install is rather simple. Fired up the C10 they sounded pretty decent under acceleration but were popping and kind of a backfire under deceleration. Some like the sound but wanted a little more quietness.
   I found on the forum an article by Jim Snyder about packing 1 Stainless steel scouring pad into each muffler. Just remove the baffle, (1 screw) stretch  out the pad ,6-8 inches, and shove it up the muffler just past the baffle. Reinstall the baffle. That's it!
   To me it sounds great "mellow" in normal running and a real NICE burble on deceleration.  :) :)  I am happy with the results.

'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline The Dude

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11820
Re: Aftermarket mufflers??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:23:24 am »
How about some audio!  Let's hear 'em!
Past: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Current: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines.

Offline Solomookie

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11738
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:03:51 am »
I took Jim's advice as soon as I got my Delkevics.  I went a step farther and put TWO pads in each can.  The bike still runs like a champ, has a nice voice, but still maintains my preference for a "quiet" bike.  Best of all worlds.   :great:
'98 Connie x 2, farkle expenditures nearing the GNP of Bolivia; it's a sickness.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:02:52 pm »
I did the same thing but removed the pot scrubbers as they reduced my top speed by 10mph.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:27:35 pm »
I did the same thing but removed the pot scrubbers as they reduced my top speed by 10mph.

And that is a bad thing??   ;)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:50:05 pm »
The SS pot scrubbers are very porous and should not effect top end power. The baffle cone at the front of the baffle is what kills top end power. I drilled a half inch hole in the front cap of the baffle and that solved the top end power issue.   
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Online VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »
I have been eyeing the Delkevic's for a long time, and that price does look right. What kind of tone do they produce? does it make the Concours sound like a true sport bike? cruiser rumble? somewhere inbetween?
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:32 pm »
I have been eyeing the Delkevic's for a long time, and that price does look right. What kind of tone do they produce? does it make the Concours sound like a true sport bike? cruiser rumble? somewhere inbetween?

They sound awesome. Not loud like a sportbike can. The baffles are removable and as you have read in my other reply they are able to be modded for additional power and sound if desired. With running two mufflers they should be fairly quiet. I am only running one muffler on my
4 into 1 exhaust so mine is considerably louder. I have been running Delkevics for almost 8 years (before they had mufflers for the Connie's).
I even got the C-14 guys to try them (after some prodding) and they like them to.   
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:43 pm »

And that is a bad thing??   ;)
If you had asked me that before I wrecked last month I would have said yes.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »

VT,  here is my youtube video I made several years ago on my carbon fiber Delkevic. If you type in "Delkevic mufflers on a C-10 Concours there are also videos of two muffler conversions on the C-10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbOwhdiVWI

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:40 pm »

VT,  here is my youtube video I made several years ago on my carbon fiber Delkevic. If you type in "Delkevic mufflers on a C-10 Concours there are also videos of two muffler conversions on the C-10.

man, I have a "ConTario proto header somewhere, along with a pristine new Ontario header system... and your old Kerker? single muffler.. all stored in my loft for use on COGZilla... never did do the install... but will for sure this year... damned C14 came home, and as I had already installed dual Ninja cans from SuperTrapp... (very difficult to find, and may sell if the price is right....$$$.$$) it satisfied my hooligan chromosomes for a while.. still, I never ever liked dual exhaust on a Kaw, just made it sound like a lod 650 yamaha twin to me....
I'll dig into this year, I promise, and hook that old single muffler up to the Ontario, and post a sound and vid.. then I'll sell my SuperTrapps...

man, I bet an auction on the Ontario and Kerker would bring me rent money, but then, COGZilla is nekid, and not a problem with getting it all stuffed inside of a fairing.. great job Jim, and thank you for sending me that stuff half a century (joking kids...) ago... :rotflmao:

:great: :great: :beerchug:

oh I have popping and burbling and popping on decell, but I'm still running 36mm Ninja carbs..... no 2 minute mod on Zilla... not what it was built for... now I gotta install the toss away gears Bubba sent me from his 7th gear conversions, and this bike will take on all comers in the 1000cc Conni class, without a doubt.
yah, it may be a gashog, and net me 30 mpg on a cruise, but it WILL honk... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:36:28 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »
"great job Jim, and thank you for sending me that stuff half a century (joking kids...) ago"... :rotflmao:

Half a Century? Dang I didn't think it had been that long. Seems like it was only 20 years ago !!! I still get compliments on the Contario exhaust even after all of these years. 

Offline ZX6Rob

• Bicycle
  • My Ninja's not fat, she's just big-framed.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11813
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:31:18 pm »
Nice choice!  I have the exact same kit on my '01 Fat Ninja.  It doesn't make the Concours sound like a modern supersport -- it doesn't have the same regular cadence ascending to a primal wail that a ZX-6R or a ZX-10R has at full whack.  Instead, I'd say it's a deep, mellow idle that turns into a classic inline-four growl at cruising speeds.  Sounds (unsurprisingly) a lot like my old GPz900R used to.  At the top of the tach (where I like to spend time when I can), it howls nicely without being obnoxious.  Of course, ol' Connie can't quite hit the high notes like the newer, smaller-displacement supersports, but the Delkevics make it sound a little more track-ready.

All in all, a good compromise, I think, and a good fit for this bike.  I'd like mine to be just a touch quieter, but I'm not about to take them apart and start stuffing things in them -- if it ain't broke, and so forth.
motorcycle, n. (mō'-dər-sīk-(ə)l) - 1. A large, leaky container of various dangerous, viscous, and difficult-to-clean fluids.

2001 ZG1000 Concours

Online VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 03:32:29 am »

Oh boy. Thanks for posting the video, I am sold. Ordered a pair of the 14" Stainless. Whicked excited!

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 12:55:49 pm »
What are the benefits of choosing one size muffler over another?  I see on the Delkevic site that there are various size mufflers for the ZG1000.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 01:11:19 pm »
  Just a guess but maybe the larger mufflers have a lower exhaust note. Shorter canisters might be a little lighter in weight but not by much. They are a little louder in noise as they come(compared to stock) but you can tone them down like I did. Took about 10 minutes and I like the tone of the exhaust just the way it is now. :)

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 01:19:09 pm »
  Just a guess but maybe the larger mufflers have a lower exhaust note. Shorter canisters might be a little lighter in weight but not by much. They are a little louder in noise as they come(compared to stock) but you can tone them down like I did. Took about 10 minutes and I like the tone of the exhaust just the way it is now. :)
Thanks for that info!  If/when I get these I'll probably do the mod like you describe.  I presuming that once I have them it will be easy to determine where to add the SS pads.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »
   There is one screw at the end of the exhaust that holds the baffle tube in place. Remove screw and pull the baffle out. It's about (10) inches long. With a flashlight you will see where the front of the baffle rests. Just beyond that you can add a Stainless steel scrub pad that has been stretched some (2 to 3 times bigger). I inserted that just ahead of where the front of baffle tube sets. Refit the baffle. I did both mufflers. Start engine and listen. :)

I got the S. S . pads at Target (3 to a pack) for about $2.10. Before you do all this ride the 'cycle after you install the mufflers. You may like it as is. :great:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:02:19 pm by Mettler1 »

Online VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »
What are the benefits of choosing one size muffler over another?  I see on the Delkevic site that there are various size mufflers for the ZG1000.

Watching another video Jim Snyder posted of the 18" Stainless, it had a nice deep tone and wasn't that loud. I want just a little more noise, but also as much deep tones as possible. I imagine the 14" will be a perfect compromise, and I will make a video once they are installed.

There is one screw at the end of the exhaust that holds the baffle tube in place. Remove screw and pull the baffle out. It's about (10) inches long. With a flashlight you will see where the front of the baffle rests. Just beyond that you can add a Stainless steel scrub pad that has been stretched some (2 to 3 times bigger). I inserted that just ahead of where the front of baffle tube sets. Refit the baffle. I did both mufflers. Start engine and listen. :)

I got the S. S . pads at Target (3 to a pack) for about $2.10. Before you do all this ride the 'cycle after you install the mufflers. You may like it as is. :great:

Sounds easy, I plan to install them stock with silencers and go for a ride before I make any adjustments. I am positive I will take the silencers out, and will make the hole in the baffle to maintain performance. All bikes are different so I will see what the decell popping is like before adding the scouring pads. I do have the emissions blocked off, and the 2mm kit installed and on the rich-side of things, so I will see how nicely that all plays together.

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20:43 pm »
Watching another video Jim Snyder posted of the 18" Stainless, it had a nice deep tone and wasn't that loud. I want just a little more noise, but also as much deep tones as possible. I imagine the 14" will be a perfect compromise, and I will make a video once they are installed.
Looking forward to checking out the video when complete!

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 06:49:55 pm »
The SS pot scrubbers are very porous and should not effect top end power. The baffle cone at the front of the baffle is what kills top end power. I drilled a half inch hole in the front cap of the baffle and that solved the top end power issue.   
Should not but did. I suggest you do the same thing I did and do back to back top speed runs with and without the pot scrubbers before making a blanket statement dismissing what I discovered.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 07:50:34 pm »
Sorry Pb I wasn't saying you were wrong but I did all of these tests years ago. Of course I am dealing with one muffler on a 4into1 pipe so I have more exhaust flow to work with than a two can setup. You can ask any of the old timers on here, I know my stuff when it comes to exhaust.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 11:06:09 pm »
Sorry Pb I wasn't saying you were wrong but I did all of these tests years ago. Of course I am dealing with one muffler on a 4into1 pipe so I have more exhaust flow to work with than a two can setup. You can ask any of the old timers on here, I know my stuff when it comes to exhaust.
Hey. Thanks. Did not mean to sound harsh.  Carry on..