Author Topic: Avoiding scratches on the tank  (Read 574 times)

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Avoiding scratches on the tank
« on: June 05, 2019, 05:15:18 pm »
I have a two-fold question re avoiding getting scratches in the paint on the gas tank.
I have a 93 (black with the red pinstripe) that is in immaculate condition. Because of concerns of scratching the gas tank, I put one of those clear tank protectors on. I find that it doesn't cover the corners (where the seat meets the tank) well enough and doesn't cover the sides, and I've noticed some light scuffing after riding (wearing jeans or textile pants). I have some of the black rubber 'grip' stick-ons for the side of the tank (not currently installed), and some clear 3M stick-on (also not installed), but saw another member had done this and eventually it badly damaged the paint. Maybe that was over a very long period of time, but now I'm a little paranoid about the clear tank protector I put on, and about putting anything else on. Any suggestions/info/history on this subject?

2nd part, I was thinking of putting a magnetic tank bag on, but found that they can scratch - even when you're very, very careful about cleaning any metal particles off of where the magnets are on the bag (and never, ever putting the bag on the ground as it will pick up metal on the magnets almost guaranteed). On my KLR (granted, much more movement from going off-road), I scratched up my very nice tank (but was able to buff it out), and ended up 'plastidipping' the tank (actually the whole bike) to protect the paint (plastidip is a rubberized spray coating that peels off if you want). Any ideas for using a magnetic tank bag and protecting the tank paint? Or skip the magnetic bag and get one that attached to the ring around the tank filler?
1993 ZG1000

Online Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Avoiding scratches on the tank
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:07 pm »
I've used clear plastic sheet from walmart cut to fit both the top and sides of the tank about 10 years with no ill effect.

Its about $2.50 / sq. yd. in the sewing / material section - its the stuff people put over their table to protect it and make your forearms stick to it.

Apply with a bit of water from a damp washcloth or rag.  It will look terrible at first as it will have a lot of bubbles.  You can work the bigger ones out, then let it sit in the sun for a few hours, which  to will handle the little ones.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 06:59:57 pm »
Not on a Concours, but I used a strap-on tank bag on my last bike and got a lot of scratches (some of it did buff out, but you can only buff out so much). I think anytime a bag is mounted on the tank (magnetic or straps) you will eventually see scratches. I remember getting hit by the backwash of 18 wheelers and each time I saw my tank bag do a little dance which rubs grit and dust into the paint. I'll hold my opinion on the clear protection sheets (but, I would not personally use them).
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:13:04 pm »
Anybody use a tank bra? I think that if you don't regularly remove the bra and wash it and wash under it that you're likely to get scratches and/or (on a long term) some difference in paint fading (less fading under the bra - although that would likely take a very long time). I was trying to think of something that would protect the tank paint, but not be a permanent fixture, although anything not permanent is likely to let grit under it.

I like the idea of the clear plastic (not the stick-on 3M stuff like I have), so you can remove it and replace it from time to time.
1993 ZG1000

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:57 pm »
I almost mentioned tank bra. This bike had one when I bought it and actually I still have it. The previous owner had used the  tank bra for years and the paint on the tank is not scratched. The previous owner pampered this bike, so I'm sure it was cleaned on a regular basis. Not sure the thickness of the tank bra would allow the magnets to work. But, a tank bra underneath and a tank bag that straps on might work. Also, keep your tank waxed.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 12:15:08 am »
I have a tank brasseir and two big Tourmaster magnetic bags, and use the static-cling type plastic on the tank.  Twelve years now and no issues.  I have had to take the plastic off and replace it twice due to damage from fuel but that paint is fine.  The tank lingerie has been off a few times for washing the bike (about once every 5 years) and no sign of abrasion on the tank paint.  Guess I'm just lucky.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10014
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 02:50:29 am »
I have a tank brasseir and two big Tourmaster magnetic bags, and use the static-cling type plastic on the tank.  Twelve years now and no issues.  I have had to take the plastic off and replace it twice due to damage from fuel but that paint is fine.  The tank lingerie has been off a few times for washing the bike (about once every 5 years) and no sign of abrasion on the tank paint.  Guess I'm just lucky.
I am with you.  Have used brasseirs many years with good results.....for the tank mind you. 

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 05:09:49 pm »
Sounds like the tank bra and the clear plastic are the way to go. Anybody have an good to excellent condition used one for sale? I had a bookmark to motosport.com as they were selling one, but I didn't know if I should get one or not. Murphy's law, I go there today and they're sold out (and I'm guessing won't be getting more in stock.)
1993 ZG1000

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 05:38:17 pm »
Sounds like the tank bra and the clear plastic are the way to go. Anybody have an good to excellent condition used one for sale? I had a bookmark to motosport.com as they were selling one, but I didn't know if I should get one or not. Murphy's law, I go there today and they're sold out (and I'm guessing won't be getting more in stock.)
Yes I have a couple.  They are the usual half sized one most often seen and also a full tank cover bra.  If your interested I will get pics for you.  I'm keeping one for my use but have another just like it.  Thanks

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 06:19:25 pm »
maybe just put a couple good coats of clear on.spray it yourself to save money

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 07:02:26 pm »
I've painted a few trucks and a motorcycle, but those were all situations where I could easily sand down and start again if it didn't turn out. I'd hate to mess up the nice paint on this. I thought about some of the clear plastidip (I have some). Worth trying, since I can just peel it off after if it doesn't turn out. I think, though, that the result will be 'foggy' looking. Probably not a real issue, since I can just peel it off.
1993 ZG1000

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 01:52:48 pm »
it would be pretty hard to mess up your base color sanding with 400#,all you want is to cut the gloss a little so the clear will get a good bond, plasti-dip would be really cheesy lookin.

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12718
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 01:26:54 pm »
I would recommend the X-PEL clear protection for the tank. I did the tank sides of my 93 when the installer was here doing a ZL1 Camaro for my customer. It won't yellow and if you can find an installer in your area he may give you the some over pieces.
 As far as I can find out there are no suitable aftermarket stick on protectors for the tank that fit w/o alterations. I also have the tank bra from Kawasaki but it's not worth the trouble to install/remove before a ride and airborne debris can get caught where the material ends.

Steve

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 02:31:09 am »
Way overthinking this IMO

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 04:46:23 am »
Way overthinking this IMO

That thought had crossed my mind, but after a short ride, I was finding some light scratches on the tank that I'd have to buff out. You can only buff out so many times. I usually wear jeans when riding, and have a small clear 'tank protector', that only really protects a narrow portion immediately in front of the seat and up about 6". The light scratches were on either side of the tank protector. One thing that has changed is putting the taller bars (tubular bar adapters and tall tubular bars) - I used to have to 'hug' the tank to be in the 'right' position for the bars, but now they're higher, I'm back farther in the seat and make less contact with the tank (and side panels.)
1993 ZG1000