Author Topic: Bafflectomy question  (Read 595 times)

Offline Robin

• Big Wheels
  • '2000 GTR 1000, Europe
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Bafflectomy question
« on: June 19, 2019, 01:53:35 pm »
Hey guys, little question about the bafflectomy. I searched on the forum but I'm still a bit confused.

When I look inside my exhaust tips I see a smaller 'pipe' inside. The forums learns that the recommend size for the hole saw to do the bafflectomy is 1 1/8". However, this is wider then the 'smaller pipe' inside and the hole saw would go right around it (and drill it out). Is this meant to be like that? 2000 C10.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm pretty new to all of this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Picture: https://imgur.com/a/GOmEByQ

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Bafflectomy question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:14 pm »
mine was stock and unmolested, didnt have that . looks modified already?

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 02:42:11 pm »
Mine's stock too, I know nothing about how to do that other than I had heard 1" hole saw and I think some just use a long rod and knock a cap off or something. Regardless, my stock muffler can does not have a space around the center ring/tube.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:54:16 pm by batboy »
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline Robin

• Big Wheels
  • '2000 GTR 1000, Europe
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 03:02:20 pm »
Mine's stock too, I know nothing about how to do that other than I had heard 1" hole saw and I think some just use a long rod and knock a cap off or something. Regardless, my stock muffler can does not have a space around the center ring/tube.

Thanks for your reply (and M in sc aswell). Exhausts look totally different indeed. I do believe they did an 'upgrade' of them starting at a particular year, not sure. Might be that?

Anyway, I think I'll leave it as it is, don't want to mess something up with a drill. Unless someone else can clear things up here? Cheers!

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 05:22:56 pm »
The guts of a C10 muffler:

No idea the year, but judging from the "chromed" outer shell, it was a later model.

I can blow these up if necessary.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:16:26 pm »
If the pipe is black and the muffler chrome, it should at least be a 2000. Mine looks identical in exterior appearance.
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:13:29 pm »
If the pipe is black and the muffler chrome, it should at least be a 2000. Mine looks identical in exterior appearance.

My '95 mufflers were chrome shelled with black pipes and tips. The Egyptian 200? take-off mufflers were all chrome.

A fella sent me those pix when I was the Tech Ed. The accompanying article appeared in my column, but I have no idea which one.  :-(
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 07:39:47 pm »

My '95 mufflers were chrome shelled with black pipes and tips. The Egyptian 200? take-off mufflers were all chrome.

A fella sent me those pix when I was the Tech Ed. The accompanying article appeared in my column, but I have no idea which one.  :-(

adding to what Guy said, '86 thru '93 had Brushed finish on cans, with black pipes. '94 thru '04 had chromed cans, and black pipes. '05 and '06 had the fully chromed and polished system....

As always, Thank you Guy, for posting those, I have similar ones buried on my ancient desk computer... somewhere....

Hey guys, little question about the bafflectomy. I searched on the forum but I'm still a bit confused.

When I look inside my exhaust tips I see a smaller 'pipe' inside. The forums learns that the recommend size for the hole saw to do the bafflectomy is 1 1/8". However, this is wider then the 'smaller pipe' inside and the hole saw would go right around it (and drill it out). Is this meant to be like that? 2000 C10.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm pretty new to all of this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Now, i do recall European bikes, of some areas, did actually have an inner reducer tube for some model years,and based on the specific country... same as the bikes that had the coolant lines that ran up to the carbs, and "preheated" them via warm coolant (I think Swiss, some German, and Belgium also had that) can't say as I don't have a database on them; but as the O/P is actually asking in regard to a GTR, and he lives in Belgium, I can surmise this is in fact what he sees...
I'd have to talk with the OTP guys, and have them CONcur...  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:16:26 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 08:29:46 pm »
Rich

Nice catch on the Belgium part. I wonder if North Central  gets all the European subscribers.

Sorry for going off topic carry on.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 08:36:31 pm »
I had pictures of Hans bike when he came over for the Y2K Continental Drift Rally. His Swedish bike had very small ID extended outlets with a slight downturn at the end. Those plus the slide lift restrictors in the top of the carbs limited their HP to conform to the EU standards at the time.

The water jacket heated bowls were to eliminate/minimize carb icing during conditions that caused it....... even when you didn't think it could/would happen. Both my Connies suffered from it terribly.

Carbureted planes I flew had a "carb heat" control that channeled exhaust heat to the intake duct to prevent icing. This was typically applied when you entered the downward leg for landing and had reduced the throttle setting. The FI planes I flew were unaffected and had no such control.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 08:39:01 pm »
Rich

Nice catch on the Belgium part. I wonder if North Central  gets all the European subscribers.

Sorry for going off topic carry on.

I thought of that when I saw the small inner section in the exhaust, but didn't look because of the NC location. DHOO!

Typically, the euro folks came under the NE Area.... at least they used to.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 09:11:17 pm »
 :great: :great:

thanks guys, that's why COG paid/pays me the big bucks... they even gave Guy 3x more than me, but that was still just $000.00

we don't do it for money.
I always try to read about who/what/where when i see an oddity, like this one.
That picture provoked me to do such, as I had seen this prior, like maybe 14 years ago, when asked by a a GTR group member.

I'm thinking Hans should have stuck his finger, into that small tube when it was running... he would have found it had no "pressure' on it, and was only a "space reducer" by proxy on the exit of the exhaust, the opposite end was welded onto that rear internal baffle plate.

So, back to the O/P;  I can say drill out the rivets, pull the guts out, and examine it, then you may find what I noted. It will then let you think about ways to eliminate the restrictor tube, and thus, allow you to use a hole saw, with just the baffle section in hand, to perform a "baffle-ectomy", don't worry if the "disc" that results drops into the inner sections, it cant get "back up to the engine side" of the pipe.

ride safe, hope this helps you all..

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:21:56 pm »

Robin, if you need the hole saw and extension you are welcome to borrow mine. I can mail it to you and when you are done you can mail it back.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:46:23 pm »

Robin, if you need the hole saw and extension you are welcome to borrow mine. I can mail it to you and when you are done you can mail it back.

he has to pull the guts out, to rid the assembly of that pesky restrictor tube... when he does that, he can accomplish it easily with a hole saw, as sending that stuff to Belgium will cost more than buying the holesaw...and a short drill extension.. there.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51:05 pm »
The restrictor tubes I saw in Europe were curved and extended beyond the end of the muffler.
Robin's is straight and fully inside the muffler.

The European carbs had a different diaphragm plate's on them than the US versions too.
That plate limited the amount the slide would open.

Both of these can be modified but the Eu has much stricter rules on what they can modify on a bike.

I suggest Robin contact out Co-club members in Europe. {GTR Club or Europe / GCE}
Boomer/Ralf/Bernd/others can help him find out what is available or do-able over there.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:26:36 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Robin

• Big Wheels
  • '2000 GTR 1000, Europe
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 06:08:56 am »
Thanks everyone for all the replies and offers. I'm sorry for not being more clear about my location, definitely added a bit of confusion. I no longer can edit my location in my forum profile, tried to make it more clear in my personal text, hope it helps for future posts :-).

I do not feel confident to disassemble the muffler just for the bafflectomy, the reason I wanted to do it in the first place is because it looked like an easy way to add some (minor) "growl" to the bike without much fuzz. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

This is my first bike, bought it at 68k KM's from the first owner and I do like it a lot. All oils/fluids/filters changed. I'm a terrible wrencher but have a 'handy' friend who helped me do a cleaning of the carburators, change the fork oil and adjust the valve clearances. I also did SiSF's free power mod. Bike runs well! We'll tackle the rear shock oil and rebuild the brake calipers next. This forum and the tech pages are a great help!

I'll check out the European GTR Club aswell. Cheers!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 02:41:27 pm »
The baffelectomy is NOT overly loud, but would add torque/HP/growl to your restricted bike if you remove the restrictor "and" do the baffelectomy.

The restrictor tubes in your bike are straight, fully inside the end of the muffler, {and the area that needs to be cut, is accessible from the end}..   So, they would be EZ to remove without disassembly of muffler.
After that, the baffelectomy could be easily done.
                         >:D

If your Buddy does it neatly, the mod would be almost invisible to inspectors. <sneaky grin>

Plus; I highly suspect though that Boomer or Ralf has a set of mufflers without restrictors in their stash... <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Cal

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12008
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 07:35:20 pm »
Guy

"I can blow these up if necessary."

Can you make a stick drawing to show where those parts all are in the muffler?  My 86 - well - i was thinking if I could figure out how to and whether it even made sense to - I'd put new absorbtion material inside it.

assuming it has any in there at all!

Cal (not a member of the louder is better gang!)

Offline Kawasaurus

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12215
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:00 pm »
you can buy aftermarket mufflers fron Marving or N-ETA, without any restrictions, and if you psh the carb sliders with your fingers, you cans see if it is restricted or not: if the diameter gets full open,= no restrictions, if the sliders don't full opens the diameter = restricted.
if carbs are restricted, you can change the Top end caps, or grind the restriction flat.
https://www.kawasaki-gtr1000.co.uk/more-power.htm
follow me - if you can...
Ralf Peter
COG  #12215  MiD 757809
Austria, Europe close to the lake Constance(Bodensee)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtjYZY0ZzYfKZVCXmQeGO1w

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 09:05:20 pm »
Guy

"I can blow these up if necessary."

Can you make a stick drawing to show where those parts all are in the muffler?  My 86 - well - i was thinking if I could figure out how to and whether it even made sense to - I'd put new absorbtion material inside it.

assuming it has any in there at all!

Cal (not a member of the louder is better gang!)

I didn’t pull this thing apart; the fella just sent me the pix you see. I can only guess on the order by what I see.

The large rusty piece with the chromed end faces the rear.
The holey baffle tube fits inside of the above with the flanged piece to the rear.
Think the solid tube connects to the front of the large rusty piece.
All the above fits inside the chromed canister.
The black cap fits over everything in the rear of the canister.

I seriously doubt there is any absorptive material wrapped around the holey baffle tube since there would be no effective way to renew or replace it.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC