Author Topic: Bafflectomy  (Read 20931 times)

Offline Buddy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11280
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Bafflectomy
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 12:29:08 am »
Tele130,

I'd be happy to take you up on your offer. Yesterday I looked at both Home Depot and True Value and neither had the combo of saw and extender required. I did a bafflectomy with my previous bike, a Honda 750 Nighthawk, and the performance improvement was very noticeable. No loss of MPG either.

Thanks,

Raymond
99 ZG1000 (I think it's purple....)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 11:07:15 am »
Totally sold on this mod and can't think of any reason not to do it. That said,  I can't see myself doing this with a hunk of rebar.  Don't be a freaking cheapskate. Go to ACE hardware and buy the darn hole saw and extension for a whopping 20 bucks and do a nice tidy job of it.

Hey now. Nothing says sophistication like beating on a hunk of rebar in the Waffle House parking lot.

Yeehaw!
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline cal

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 11:47:16 am »
Quote from: SteveJ Hey now. Nothing says sophistication like beating on a hunk of rebar in the Waffle House parking lot.
Yeehaw![/quote

I wish we had a Waffle House................................road trip!

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9167
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 01:05:43 pm »
Tele130,

I'd be happy to take you up on your offer. Yesterday I looked at both Home Depot and True Value and neither had the combo of saw and extender required. I did a bafflectomy with my previous bike, a Honda 750 Nighthawk, and the performance improvement was very noticeable. No loss of MPG either.

Thanks,

Raymond

Hey Raymond. PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

Offline DonH_NH

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11402
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »
OK, I'm convinced that I should do it.  Tele130; would you mind if Raymond ships the saw and extension to me after he's done with it?  I would then send it back to you (or possibly on to the next COG member who wants it).  I could envision the possibility of these tools racking up some serious mileage!  ;D

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
I'd be down for that if we get a chain going!

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »
OK, I'm convinced that I should do it.  Tele130; would you mind if Raymond ships the saw and extension to me after he's done with it?  I would then send it back to you (or possibly on to the next COG member who wants it).  I could envision the possibility of these tools racking up some serious mileage!  ;D

You bet. And if someone else wants to use it, you can send it to them and so on.

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:38 pm »
I just ran some searches to see what people have thought about this mod, over the years...  I got almost no hits back.  Is there a magic search key I need to use, or is this a "recently" recommended mod?
AMA #2994244 / 2002 ZG1000 / 2000 Honda Shadow VT750C (sold)
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 11:29:01 pm »
This mod has been around for a long time. I for one am a believer in it. Even though I don't have any "Dyno Stats" on it. But you should know, I came off a ZRX1100 to the Connie. And I'm about to buy a ZRX1200R as a stable mate for the Connie.

Offline Buddy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 11:33:01 pm »
We're just a new generation of bafflectomists....

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 11:37:24 pm »
Ok guys,
  I mailed the hole saw and extension out to Raymond this afternoon.  Looks like DonH_NH is next to receive it and then DonH will send it to Sport Rider.

Enjoy guys :great:

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:48 am »
 Not only do I like the new sound, have done so on four C10's. OK, Dan B did my fourth!
 I get complements from riders and non riders. That are a bit jealous compared to the hundreds spent on after market mufflers.
 The ZGRX has a more throaty sound in addition!

Offline AirMonger

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10838
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
I did my first of four C10's years ago. Louder? No. A healthier sounding bike? Yes. All of the bikes have reacted a little differently. All of them felt smoother. Worth the effort, certainly. The one thing that I noticed about the last two bikes is that the never exhibited the short run bulge in the mufflers. That is the bulge that occurs when you ride the bike for short distances and it never cooks the moisture out of the cans. Older bikes show signs of this and eventually rot thru. My ride to work is short and it accounted for the rot in two or more bikes. My 2 cents.
"It usually takes 20 years before people begin to appreciate a good design." Kevin Cameron

Offline Buddy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 02:47:06 am »
Thank you, Tele130, I will confirm receipt, and then confirm delivery on to the next practitioner.

Offline Ira

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 03:49:18 am »
Got Kawazilla out on a decent ride today including a little time on the big slab. 
A little more of all the good things.  Smoother, more zip, more low end torque, nicer note.  Even shaved a little weight.  :)

VERY happy with the results of this mod! 

Offline Buddy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 04:08:05 am »
Ira,

That is great to hear. I'm finally excited about doing the procedure! I've been waivering for a year now....

My Honda CB750, also an in-line 4, of course, responded extremely well to a comparable procedure. I have seen one or two older threads that state MPG improves by a couple miles per gallon. I hope so, I consistently average 38.5, and 42 and a fraction when I do the speed limit.

Thanks again to Tele130 for his initiative and generosity.

Raymond

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:51 am »
   What is old is new again!  ;)

I hope y'all have better luck sharing the bafflectomy tool than I did... I started the same program back in 05, and sent my very sophisticated piece of sharpened rebar for a trip around the country. Unfortunately somewhere around the 4th person, I think it became a tomato stake  :-[ .

What' y'all are doing is popping through a very thin baffle wall about 1 ft into the rear muffler. The baffle is designed to spread more of the exhaust noise out through the packing and back into the perforated exhaust pipe. Because of the multi-chamber construction on the zg mufflers, it works well to free up flow and not become obnoxiously loud. Unfortunately, not all mufflers are the same; I bafflectomized my zx9 muffler when I first built my header, and it was a dismal failure, noise wise. I'm now running a titanium zx12 muffler, 6 # and very quiet. Steve
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:44:08 am by Steve in Sunny Fla »
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:58 am »
Unfortunately, not all mufflers are the same; I bafflectomized my zx9 muffler when I first built my header, and it was a dismal failure, noise wise.

Hi Steve,

Does this mean it was considerably louder than you wanted it to be, or that it had no effect at all?

I've just about convinced myself to do this, but if there's a chance that the bike is going to get really loud, I think I'll chicken out.  I wouldn't mind it being a little louder, but not a lot louder.
AMA #2994244 / 2002 ZG1000 / 2000 Honda Shadow VT750C (sold)
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »

Hi Steve,

Does this mean it was considerably louder than you wanted it to be, or that it had no effect at all?

Both, a dismal failure, and because the baffle plate is so far inside the muffler, non reversable. keep in mind this was a zx9 miffler, NOT a c-10 muffler. Trust me, you will not dislike a bafflectomized c-10 muffler at all. Steve

Offline Ira

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »
Unfortunately, not all mufflers are the same; I bafflectomized my zx9 muffler when I first built my header, and it was a dismal failure, noise wise.

Hi Steve,

I've just about convinced myself to do this, but if there's a chance that the bike is going to get really loud, I think I'll chicken out.  I wouldn't mind it being a little louder, but not a lot louder.

If you are worried about noise don't be.  I was actually hoping for a little more noise (but not to much) for safety reasons and the lack of additional noise is my only disappointment.  Barely noticeable increase at WOT if you are really romping on it but, Slight change in note the rest of the time with about the same volume. 

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 01:07:20 pm »
Steve, I think I discovered a way to repair the hole.
If you'll send it to me, I'll give it a try?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline DonH_NH

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11402
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »
Hmmm...

SportRider;

I've always been a big advocate of stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts frequently affect driveability, and they annoy the heck out of others.  We motorcyclists need all the good PR we can get, and running around with a loud obnoxious exhaust pipe certainly doesn't help further that cause.

However, it sounds as if this mod has neither of those downsides, and in fact may make the bike
more enjoyable to ride.  One question before I get out my hole saw and make an irreversible mod;

How much louder than stock are the modified pipes?  Does this mod just give the exhaust a deeper bass sound, or will it be much louder and annoy my neighbors every time I take out my bike?  I live in a condominium complex, so I have a lot of folks who could potentially complain.

Don....curious...what kind of drivability affects have you experienced?  I've ridden some of my bikes with aftermarket pipes and some without.  I've not had any driveability problems.  perhaps our definitions of that differ?

I'm dating myself (sounds kinky!) but back when I was into the early GSXRs and FZRs I found that whenever I put on an aftermarket exhaust, I would experience a wide variety of fuel-related ills. These included stumbling at low RPMs, surging, etc.  These problems would often persist even after installing the so-called "correct" DynoJet kit. 

Sometimes the kits would help, but then fuel mileage would drop a good 20%.

Maybe the newer bikes (my Conc is a 2002) aren't as sensitive to exhaust changes?

Offline Big John

• Moped
  • 4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »
I'm dating myself (sounds kinky!) but back when I was into the early GSXRs and FZRs I found that whenever I put on an aftermarket exhaust, I would experience a wide variety of fuel-related ills. These included stumbling at low RPMs, surging, etc.  These problems would often persist even after installing the so-called "correct" DynoJet kit. 

Sometimes the kits would help, but then fuel mileage would drop a good 20%.

Maybe the newer bikes (my Conc is a 2002) aren't as sensitive to exhaust changes?

It takes some tuning to get it right any time you create that much of a change in back pressure. From what it seems there is not that significant of a backpressure change by doing this mod. A few trips to the dyno and and the bikes can be tuned very well for the new, Higher RPM you have now opened the bike up to run in. It is not a trivial task to get it right and requires carb removal several times to dial it in. The last couple of bike I have done I go over and get them dynod for 40 bucks. The ducati only took the carbs coming off twice to dial it in. That is compared to 6 times or so off to get my last Gixxer right with the full Yosh exhaust, between the plug chops and midrange runs. It did pull like a freight train when it was done though(without a hit to the fuel mileage).

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »
Y'all are seriously overthinking this. Wev'e BTDT. The bafflectomy, even aftermarket mufflers, don't change the flow enough to warrant any jet changes, and yes, I did do all the dyno work, and riding with a WBO2 sensor. Trust me, there won't be anywhere near an issue with jetting. The bike will run a little bit crisper, but it's so slight it falls within standard deviation on dyno runs. Steve

Offline Big John

• Moped
  • 4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 06:50:14 pm »
Yeah, Steve, I wasn't speaking about the Connie. It sounds like there is little, if any, effect to the backpressure. Not enough to require jet change.

I was speaking to the statements that no big exhaust can run well. It can run as well as it is tuned. It will make more HP as long as some other component is not holding it back. It will move the power band to a higher RPM that may or may not be usable with the bike you are installing the exhaust on. If tuned correctly the mileage change will only be related to running at that higher RPM where the engine now makes power.