Author Topic: Bafflectomy  (Read 21845 times)

Offline Dan LT

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11641
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Bafflectomy
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
I'm convinced. Went to the hardware store this afternoon and bought a 1 1/8" hole saw.  Didn't have the extension though so I'll have to shop around for that.  I'm thinking I may not have to spend $400 on that aftermarket exhaust I wanted so bad.  My only complaint about my Connie is that it's just too damn quiet.  My only complaint. I bought my C-10 in July and the more I ride it the more I like it.  It's like the perfect motorcycle.   (Except it's too quiet)

As far as re-jetting is concerned.............I put a Yoshi muffler on my '07 ZZR and it runs great. No carburetor adjustments, and it sounds wonderful !     :)
I know hard work never hurt anyone, but I'm not taking any chances.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 10:57:55 pm »
I'm convinced. Went to the hardware store this afternoon and bought a 1 1/8" hole saw.  Didn't have the extension though so I'll have to shop around for that.  I'm thinking I may not have to spend $400 on that aftermarket exhaust I wanted so bad.  My only complaint about my Connie is that it's just too damn quiet.  My only complaint. I bought my C-10 in July and the more I ride it the more I like it.  It's like the perfect motorcycle.   (Except it's too quiet)

As far as re-jetting is concerned.............I put a Yoshi muffler on my '07 ZZR and it runs great. No carburetor adjustments, and it sounds wonderful !     :)

My thoughts exactly, I just needed some audible feedback from the engine. I did the 1'' hole saw on an extension this summer, and I really like the little bit of extra 'bark' now. And when winding up to almost exactly 7K RPM, you get a lovely howl. But passing people is still quiet, you don't piss off the whole neighborhood in the morning. I haven't heard a quiet harley in years anyway -
 :)
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 9167
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 05:39:25 am »
I did this mod two years ago and made these two little videos.......if you will :)

This is BEFORE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJe8qwzdByA

And this is AFTER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaCNyv72Afo

Hopefully the links work and gives you a better idea of what you'll end up with :great:.

Offline DonH_NH

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11402
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:53 am »
Thank you for posting those videos Tele130.  As others have testified, I can now see (or rather, hear) the subtle difference.  It seems like the bike has a slightly deeper, more bass-ey sound to it, with just a hint of raspy-ness.

I like it, and am looking forward to doing mine!

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 11:56:03 am »
I did mine last night... just in time for the rain to start. :-(  I wasn't able to go ride it last night, nor will I be able to ride it today because it's still raining.  I mean, I *could* ride it, but I try to avoid rain for a variety of reasons.

I noticed a small difference in the sound, but nothing earth shattering -- which is good. :-)

Of course, the whole process was a comedy of errors.  I borrowed a hole saw from my neighbor, only to discover that he was missing the arbor.  I found my extension rod, so went off to the store to get a hole saw.  Came home, and discovered that my extension rod must have been for some other purpose entirely, because it didn't fit the bit (and wasn't even the right shape).  Went back to the store and bought an extension...  Drove home and discovered that it didn't fit the hole saw, either!  Cobbled things together with a socket and some duct tape, and finally got it all done.  What should have taken 10 minutes took me an hour and half, though.  Yeesh. :-)

Hopefully, I can ride 'er tomorrow.
AMA #2994244 / 2002 ZG1000 / 2000 Honda Shadow VT750C (sold)
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »
Since so much of this conversation os about making the exhaust louder, I'll add this. Changing the cam timing on the exhaust side noticeably changes exhaust note. With the ex cam advanced or a longer duration cam with the same LC, the exhaust is noticeably more "growly". Ex cams with shorter duration are noticeably quieter. The reason is the opening point of the Ex valves; longer duration or advancing the cam opens the valves sooner, and the cylinder pressure waves are stronger / louder. HTH, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »
Since so much of this conversation os about making the exhaust louder, I'll add this. Changing the cam timing on the exhaust side noticeably changes exhaust note. With the ex cam advanced or a longer duration cam with the same LC, the exhaust is noticeably more "growly". Ex cams with shorter duration are noticeably quieter. The reason is the opening point of the Ex valves; longer duration or advancing the cam opens the valves sooner, and the cylinder pressure waves are stronger / louder. HTH, Steve

Morning Steve :beerchug:,
And that's why I'm ordering your exhaust cam mod this winter........well?, one reason >:D.

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »
So SISF is saying a bike with the exhaust sprocket or exhaust cam mod and the bafflectomy will be a bit louder than a stock bike with the baffelectomy??
Humm, may wait before I do the baffelectomy to the '05. The baffelectomied '02 is just about right, but not sure I want the '05 any bolder than that. Can't go back. Unless I buy the '06 that I've found, those would be a set of virgin mufflers to revert back to. Hmmm....
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 02:30:59 pm »
it's not earth shattering, but if you're tuned in you'll notice it.

since my shop tends to be "connie central" for the local guys, I can hear a c-10 coming down the road before it gets here. Well, except for the bikes without a bafflectomy and  with torque cams... they sneak in the driveway before I hear them coming.  ;) Steve
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Buddy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11280
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2014, 03:18:51 am »
ALCON,

I completed the procedure and the instruments will go out tomorrow to DonH....

A short run through my local twisties on the bafflectomized machine was as I expected it would be and as has been reported by others. Nothing really noticeable noise-wise up to 4k, every so slightly louder on normal throttling from 4k to around 6k, a nice deep roar at 6k and above on hard acceleration in lower gear. Slightly more backfire on high rpm deceleration. Oh, and I was wearing a faceless helmet.

Seemed smoother on acceleration throughout to me. Probably a placebo effect. I look forward to a long run to see if MPG changes.

Raymond

99 ZG1000 (I think it's purple....)

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 03:30:52 am »
Peering into my C10's mufflers I see evidence of a baffelectomy...that could be the reason it is a 50 mpg motorcycle... :beerchug:

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:31 pm »
Seemed smoother on acceleration throughout to me. Probably a placebo effect. I look forward to a long run to see if MPG changes.

I got to ride mine today for the first time post-bafflectomy, and concur with this (and the rest, too, actually).  Might just seem that way because I want it to, but the bike did seems a bit smoother on acceleration.
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »
ALCON,

I completed the procedure and the instruments will go out tomorrow to DonH....

A short run through my local twisties on the bafflectomized machine was as I expected it would be and as has been reported by others. Nothing really noticeable noise-wise up to 4k, every so slightly louder on normal throttling from 4k to around 6k, a nice deep roar at 6k and above on hard acceleration in lower gear. Slightly more backfire on high rpm deceleration. Oh, and I was wearing a faceless helmet.

Raymond

Glad to hear it Raymond :great:.  I notice mine even in sixth gear on the freeway when I get into a bit to pass someone...................but that doesn't happen too often since I'm always in the far left lane anyhow :)).

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »
Peering into my C10's mufflers I see evidence of a baffelectomy...that could be the reason it is a 50 mpg motorcycle... :beerchug:

Nope!..........Your just going too slow :rotflmao:.

Offline Dfresh

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10603
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »
I don't know what you guys are doing to the bikes to get 45-50 mpg on them but please let me know I'm barley getting 35 mpg on a bike with only 45k on the clock and is bone stock except for the baffle mod

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »
Doug,
You got to ride a lot slower and easier than you do to see anything north of 30MPG!!   :)
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »

Nope!..........Your just going too slow :rotflmao:.

Yeah...besides what Matt said...a few of our roads here DO have corners...and, you really DO want to stay on the road!   :nananana:

Dfresh...I just ride mine in a sane manner...it does have a K&N air filter and the baffelectomy...don't know of anything else...my previous C10 was a 44 mpg bike...

Offline Dfresh

• Mini Bike
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »
Matt that was a true story esp. When I ride with you lol but yeah I am one for full throttle unless the daughter is in the back   :nananana: how does the saying go? Drive it like ya stole it

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2014, 02:31:54 pm »
Doug,
You got to ride a lot slower and easier than you do to see anything north of 30MPG!!   :)
Matt

Hey Matt!!!!!  Long time buddy ;).
  On our trip to the National she pulled 42.59 MPG (according to the GPS) :great:.  It's the around town riding that she's only getting 33-35 MPG.

Offline Dfresh

• Mini Bike
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
And besides I think I see a c14 in my near future  :)

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:04 pm »
Hmmm...I wonder if it's just that the air is thinner up here (I live at 6600' elevation)...so there's less wind resistance...? :rotflmao:

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »
Okay, having put about 40 miles on it now, all I can say is WOW. The bike is definitely smoother now, beyond a doubt. I used to be right at 60 MPH when in 6th at 4k RPMs. Now, I'm hitting 65 MPH under the same conditions. This is the most impactful thing I've done to my bike to date. I'm sorry I waited so long!
I love this place!

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:39 am »
So, let me get this straight... in sixth gear, at 4k rpm, was 60mph, now 65? That's quite a bafflectomy you did!  :))

Try it without mufflers, maybe you'll get 70mph.  :-\
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:45 am »
John,
You may be walking in circles from how hard Willy just pulled your leg.
The ratio of speed to engine RPM never changes. You may have pumped up the rear tire, or your front may be a little low  on air pressure, but bafflelectomy won't change the ratio.
Might want to check air pressure in tires to male sure both are where they should be.
Bittomo line - bafflelectomy is a good thing :great:
Jorge

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:13 am »
 :-\   Steve