Author Topic: Bafflectomy  (Read 21868 times)

Offline Johnny B.

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Bafflectomy
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:17:40 pm »
Hey everyone, thought I would share my experience with the bafflectomy. I used a 1 inch hole cutter with a 18 in extension.
The compression braking is the same, sounds much better, and a noticeable difference in 5th and 6th.  All in all, it helped.  ;D

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
Re: Bafflectomy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:53:22 pm »
 :TPIWWP:
86 Concours no longer in a box.
80 CB750 Honda

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:55:33 pm »
Several years ago, I did a dyno run to compare stock vs Baffelectomied Mufflers.

The baffelectomy slightly gained both torque and hp. 
More importantly,, it smoothed out the torque curve and increased mid range.
All of this for a total cost of $0!!

Steve did GREAT when he figured this out.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:46:10 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:16:46 pm »
I'm gonna have to sharpen up the end of my rebar.   :great:

Offline Ira

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:04 am »

Has anyone carefully measured before and after fuel consumption for this mod ?
This bike has plenty of power for me.  My interest is in making a little more noise for safety reasons and possible saving a bit of gas.

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:46 am »
I wouldn't count on gas savings based my experience with the piver  punch on the Vulcan.  But it'll sound better.  :-)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:04:30 am »

This bike has plenty of power for me.  My interest is in making a little more noise for safety reasons and possible saving a bit of gas.
There is very little noise difference.

In theory, it could save a slight amount of gas. But so can doing 63 mph instead of 65.

It's free to do the operation, why not?

[opinion] If I were all that concerned about fuel usage, I would get me a little gutless bike. [/opinion]
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline DonH_NH

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11402
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:30 am »
Hmmm...

I've always been a big advocate of stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts frequently affect driveability, and they annoy the heck out of others.  We motorcyclists need all the good PR we can get, and running around with a loud obnoxious exhaust pipe certainly doesn't help further that cause.

However, it sounds as if this mod has neither of those downsides, and in fact may make the bike
more enjoyable to ride.  One question before I get out my hole saw and make an irreversible mod;

How much louder than stock are the modified pipes?  Does this mod just give the exhaust a deeper bass sound, or will it be much louder and annoy my neighbors every time I take out my bike?  I live in a condominium complex, so I have a lot of folks who could potentially complain.

Offline BrianD

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11685
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
I did the mod to my '02.  The only time I notice a difference in sound is when I am grabbing a hand full of throttle.
Brian Dutton
Coventry, CT
'02 Concours

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »
Hmmm...

I've always been a big advocate of stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts frequently affect driveability, and they annoy the heck out of others.  We motorcyclists need all the good PR we can get, and running around with a loud obnoxious exhaust pipe certainly doesn't help further that cause.

However, it sounds as if this mod has neither of those downsides, and in fact may make the bike
more enjoyable to ride.  One question before I get out my hole saw and make an irreversible mod;

How much louder than stock are the modified pipes?  Does this mod just give the exhaust a deeper bass sound, or will it be much louder and annoy my neighbors every time I take out my bike?  I live in a condominium complex, so I have a lot of folks who could potentially complain.

I did this with a 1-1/8 hole saw if I remember correctly.  It barely fit in the hole.  Something about BFH and rebar doesn't set well with me.  The bike sounds great at idle or running around the neighborhood, but I was a little surprised at the volume when I grab a handful of throttle, much louder.  You might start off with a 1/2 hole and go up from there.  I didn't notice any performance advantage but I did it due to reports of reduced buzz.  I can't say for sure it reduced buzz either.  Sometimes I don't notice improvements until I go back to the original configuration.                     

Offline Ira

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »

There is very little noise difference.

In theory, it could save a slight amount of gas. But so can doing 63 mph instead of 65.

It's free to do the operation, why not?

[opinion] If I were all that concerned about fuel usage, I would get me a little gutless bike. [/opinion]

I really like everything about this bike but using more fuel just to make noise or gain a minuscule amount of added HP that I don't care about seems silly to me.  If there is no effect on MPG good or bad I think I'll go ahead and dig out the 1 inch hole saw.

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »
Hmmm...

Don....curious...what kind of drivability affects have you experienced?  I've ridden some of my bikes with aftermarket pipes and some without.  I've not had any driveability problems.  perhaps our definitions of that differ?

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 05:52:25 pm »
I did the mod to my '02.  The only time I notice a difference in sound is when I am grabbing a hand full of throttle.

Pretty much this and the difference is not great, at least with a 3/4" hole. I dunno where the dyno charts are, but they show about a 5% gain +/- throughout the rpm range. Not huge, but the return on the $$ is excellent.

We did mine and a few others early on when this first started up, in the rear parking lot of a Waffle House with SiSF looking on and participating.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 07:24:53 pm »
My '02 has had the bafflectomy performed by the prior owner, the '05 has not been yet. There is a bit of difference in sound at low speed operation, but not much. As mentioned, grab a handful and it has a little more seriousness sound to it.
So anyways, I see some are using a hole saw w/extension (obviously) and others are punching thru. When I get ready to puncture the baffle what's the up/downside side of either method? Only one layer to go thru or how far is needed??
I searched for the "how-to" thread, but never found it, I'm assuming it goes back into archives date.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline virtualdev

• Ride.all.year.
  • Street Cruiser
  • car broken, ride all winter
    • The Borked Universe
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »
I finally did mine a month or two ago with a 1" hole saw (because it was tons cheaper than the 1 1/8" saw).

Overall at idle it's a hair more grumble, but all up in the throttle provides a satisfying amount more of grumble.  It's not obnoxious, but certainly satisfying.  I do notice a bit more exhaust pop on deceleration though, but this may be due to the fact that I also have blockoff plates installed and the unburned gas isn't getting spent in the way it should.

Even though I spent $15-20 on getting the right saw and extension, I figured it's still one of the cheapest farkles I've done.  Well worth it in my opinion if you want just...a little bit more.
Portland, OR - '86 Concours "Big Bertha" - '13 Vulcan 900 Custom - '72 Lido 14' - COG #10224 - CDA #0421 - C10 Repair log

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:11 pm »
I did the Bafflectomy several years ago.  People still comment on how quiet my bike is.  (People that are too over-exposed to noisy aftermarket v-twin exhausts, anyway.)

I used a step drill on an extension because I couldn't find an inexpensive metal-cutting hole saw.  The step drill fit nicely down the end of the exhaust and made quick work of the baffle.  It's a quick and easy enough mod that I've offered to throw my cordless drill, extension, and step drill into my bike for Meet & Greets if someone wants it done.  No takers so far. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline renegade10

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:20 pm »
Can anbody point to instructions on the mod? How deep to cut etc.?

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 11:25:40 pm »
Only one layer of metal to drill through .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Ira

• Moped
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 01:23:36 am »

Did the deed using a 1 inch hole saw on an extension. 

I'd call it the genuine 2 min. mod.  Less than 60 seconds per can. 
Managed to trump up some errands I had to run and took Kawazilla out to see the results. Initial impression is that for a basically free mod that is so quick and easy it is almost silly not to do it.
On start up and riding out of the neighbourhood I could hardly tell any difference in noise level with a slight change in note. 
What I did notice right away was slightly more throttle response and pull, especially starting off in first gear.
Found my favourite back road straightaway and opened it up.  At WOT there is a little more noise but I was actually a little disappointed at how quiet it still was.  I was not disappointed to notice a slight but obvious increase in power.  The bike also maintains highway speed with a pinch less throttle which I am hoping will translate to a bit more MPG......If I can make myself stop romping on it.  :D

Totally sold on this mod and can't think of any reason not to do it.  That said,  I can't see myself doing this with a hunk of rebar.  Don't be a freaking cheapskate. Go to ACE hardware and buy the darn hole saw and extension for a whopping 20 bucks and do a nice tidy job of it. 

Offline myrddin

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 02:10:42 am »
The one thing that holds me back from doing this is that it could facilitate corrosion in the exhaust cans compared to not touching it.

Any occurence of those exhaust cans rusting from the inside somewhat too soon ? Bafflectomised or not ?

If I get this correctly: one inserts the hole saw in the outlet hole at the back end of the exhaust cans until a solid wall is encountered and then proceeds to knock a ~1" in it ?

I'll find the necessary hardware in the meantime ...

Luc

Offline Ira

• Moped
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 03:31:33 am »
The one thing that holds me back from doing this is that it could facilitate corrosion in the exhaust cans compared to not touching it.

Any occurence of those exhaust cans rusting from the inside somewhat too soon ? Bafflectomised or not ?

If I get this correctly: one inserts the hole saw in the outlet hole at the back end of the exhaust cans until a solid wall is encountered and then proceeds to knock a ~1" in it ?

I'll find the necessary hardware in the meantime ...
Luc

That is how I did it.

Seems to me like this would allow any residual moisture in the cans at shutdown to evaporate out more easily if corrosion is even an issue.

Ye HA!  Kawazilla turned 20,000 on my test ride today!  :)

Offline Tele130

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9167
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 07:22:26 am »
If anyone wants to do this "Mod".  I have to hole saw bit and extension ready to ship for free.  All I ask is that you clean it and ship it back to me in the same condition you received it. :great:

Offline Johnny B.

• Big Wheels
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 11:52:38 am »
The holesaw method is a much cleaner than the pipe. It took 5 seconds on each can with a hardened cutter to do the job,

did I mention that it is a bit smoother thoughout the entire rpm range.  :)

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 12:26:58 pm »
Don,  When I did mine, mi wife didn't want me to do it because of noise. After I did it, she didn't notice any difference. There is, just not much. I do believe the bike is running better. I do agree that the more throttle, the more difference in sound - I like it.

As for "working your way up in size" starting with a small hole, you may want to re-think that.
When I did mine, the hole saw has a drill bit ti stabilize the hole saw, about 1/4" or so. When the hole saw is done doing its job, the drill bit in the center holds on to the 1" slug you just created, and you simply pull it out with the hole saw. If you work your way up, it will be more difficult to stabilize the hole saw, and the slug may drop off inside the muffler. Probably easy to get out by removing the muffler, but it changes it from a 10 minute mod, to a 30 minute mod.

Jorge

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 03:13:45 pm »
If you are using a step bit, not a problem. Self centering at any size, and no slug.

Step bit:
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics