Author Topic: Miles per gallon  (Read 819 times)

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Miles per gallon
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 10:11:49 pm »
  IF you do not have overflow tubes installed you are asking for a hydrolock episode and a busted engine!!! Watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw

Hey Mettler, how hard was it to install a 7th gear? 
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:18 pm »
7th gear mod is a Shoodaben Engineering design. 

You'll swap out the bevel drive, which has the new gear ratio already installed.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 10:53:47 pm »
  7th gear mod instructions.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/7th-gear-unit

'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:46 am »
I do not have the overflow tubes installed.

Yeah... not a good idea not  having overflow tubes.
That could be one reason  where your fuel is going.You do not know your float valves are leaking. Overflow tubes will tell you.
It  maybe time to send those carbs in for a rebuild/refresh/rejetting and have overflow tubes installed.
Shoodebeen has the videos to help you remove ,ship and re-install them.
Also, have you done a valve adjustment?
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline The Doctor

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12886
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 05:17:00 am »
I do not have the overflow tubes installed.

Yeah... not a good idea not  having overflow tubes.
That could be one reason  where your fuel is going.You do not know your float valves are leaking. Overflow tubes will tell you.
It  maybe time to send those carbs in for a rebuild/refresh/rejetting and have overflow tubes installed.
Shoodebeen has the videos to help you remove ,ship and re-install them.
Also, have you done a valve adjustment?

I actually went through the carbs about a month or two ago. And there's a manual petcock on it. Also, that wouldn't affect the mpg when I'm riding long distances in one sitting.
It all started on a 250...

Offline redwing6

• Big Wheels
  • Just a guy who does average things...
    • The Vail Spot
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 10:05:29 pm »
...As far as the trip, was averaging about 80mph. The route is admittedly hilly. There was some pretty severe wind, so that definitely might have played a factor. Tire pressure was checked before heading out...
Everyone of those factors will kill your gas mileage.  No matter how slick and streamlined our bikes might be to our eyes...they are a brick in the wind.  Look at any MPG graph that shows speed vs fuel consumed and you'll see it start climbing exponentially as the speed goes beyond 80 mph.  And you were saying you averaged 80 mph...which indicates to me that you were going faster than that at times.

Hills will definitely kill your gas mileage.  "pretty severe wind" will also.  Think of 80 mph with a 25 mph headwind...and it really is like riding at 105 mph.  The only time "pretty severe wind" doesn't hurt your gas mileage is when it is a tailwind.

And you were carrying a passenger.  You did everything you possibly could do to tank your gas mileage. 

Do you normally track your gas mileage?  If so, what do you normally get?  I'd look to see what is normal for your riding environment.  I keep track of my miles on every tankful.  I know what I can expect in town and what I can expect on an all day ride.  I know what effect "winter" gas gives me, and what effect "summer" gas has.  If you're doing that, it'll tell you if you really have a problem.  For instance, instead of an average of 80 mph ride in severe winds...what do you get on a long ride on 2-lane back roads on a decent day?

Chris

I get 35-40 mph, but I have SEVERE throttle issues (I seem to have 2 speeds)...when I'm more lenient, I usually get 45-50.
Past Rides: 1977 Honda Hawk, 1972(?) Suzuki GT 550, 1981 Harley Davidson Sportster (NEVER AGAIN!), 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2006 Concours,

Current 2002 Concours