Author Topic: Battery Tender???  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Brent_OR

• Tricycle
Battery Tender???
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Okay, winter has officially set in Oregon.  I plan on riding my bike when I can throughout the winter-not afraid of rain, just ice and snow....   So, my question is, do you all use a battery tender every night even if you ride daily or every other day; or do you only use it when you won't be riding for a few days or weeks?  The way the "tender companies" advertise, it looks like I should use it year-round?????    Thanks!!!!  
'03 Concours  COG#8499  Portland, OR

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Battery Tender???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
No need if riding every day or every other day.  If it is going to sit more then that put one on.  I still use a non tender charger and I only put it on once a week over night.  Been happy for years doing that.  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
Battery Tender???
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
Typically, motorcycles are not ridden every day, and their batteries tend to be less robust than their cage counterparts.  Battery tenders have fairly sophisticated charge circuit that monitor battery condition and keep it at tip-top state. This allows it to be used all the time without fear of damaging the battery. In fact, I have heard that using one all the time can increase the life of the battery by 2X.     I am not that regimented. I wait until Thanksgiving or the first snowfall. I should have already connected one to the EX250, as it has not been used for nearly a month or more. (thanks fro the reminder - I have to winterize it this weekend and connect the tender)      --  Steve Smith, COG #3184  COG Northeast Area Director, AMA, MSF RC  (somewhere in south central CT)     If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline rneal55555_NH

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 7889
  • Membership Level: Active
Battery Tender???
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
I have a couple o them that I move around once it get to the point that things are sitting longer than a week 4 different MC's and garden tractor.      I think that as long as you put them on every week or too you'll be ok, Unless your bike is out in frigid temp (mine are in a basement garage that seldom get below freezing) or you have something on the bike that draws them down.  I know that mine have gone a month or so and the battery still had enough to start the bikes.  
Russ Neal  Milton, NH  Originally from Willsboro, NY  04 Connie  99 Yamaha Venture  IBA # 32003  Venturers.org # 1774

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
Battery Tender???
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 01:58:00 am »
I think I have four of them, since I have numerous things that are basically setting for winter.  I use them on motorcycles, mowers, cars, and trucks.  Like the previous post, I more them around often, making sure that all batteries are kept up when not in often use.  I usually leave them on for at least two weeks, or definitely until the red light turns green.  They claim that they reduce some type of build up on the plates and I assume it is true.  After I've had one on a battery that was weak for some time, then once I got the green light for several days then the battery was in far better condition than prior, it just holds a charge better.  I consider them a useful product, one that does work well.    hth  John  
tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
Battery Tender???
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 02:10:00 am »
Brent,    As I usually ride every day the battery tender is usually collecting dust. And yes I live in Oreegon too!    However I do have my wifes bike on the tender and I do recommend that if you don't ride the bike at least once a week you do have the tender attached.    I have a AGM Battery that requires no maintenance. However if you have a regular battery make sure you regularly check the water levels even if the battery is hooked up to a tender.    So where in Oregon are you then?  AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks!  Northwest Area Director  COG #5539  AMA #927779  IBA #15034  TEAM OREGON MC Instructor    http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby  http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip)  http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline JohnnyLunchBox

• Road Bike
  • Eastern Hudson Valley AAD / Industry Member
    • HVMP Inc
  • COG#: 6763
Battery Tender???
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 02:45:00 am »
I have a bunch of bikes and I occasionally (once a week) rotate the bikes on the 4 tenders.  It can only help to extend the life of your batteries.  
COG# 6763
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Magnum1b

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6879
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Battery Tender???
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
I bought a Black and Decker from Wal Mart about a year ago.  It has a 1 and a 2 amp float setting.  I mounted a hot receptacle on the bike, above the left passenger peg several year ago.  The B&D comes with three pigtails and a 2 pin SAE connector.  The pigtails have a cigarette lighter plug, a pair of alligator clamps, and a set with ring terminals for direct hookup to the battery and all have a SAE receptacle so you can pick the best for you.  I've been very happy with this setup and routinely hook up after every ride as I never know when I'm going to get an opportunity to ride again.  I hung the charger from a support pole in the center of my garage and it's very convenient to hook up after I park the bike.    
Jack Ferguson  NGaAAD, Ellenwood, GA  1986 Concours "Ole Blue"  http://tinyurl.com/tokgn

Offline Brent_OR

• Tricycle
Battery Tender???
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »
Thanks...    I ordered a BT Jr. yesterday afternoon...  I think I'll just use it whenever the bike is in my garage.  It doesn't look like at BT has any negative side effects so why not use it?    Thanks a lot for all the help!    2linby--I'm in SW Portland... Just bought a 2003 Connie 3mos ago after a 15yr lay off from riding...Having a lot of fun!!!!    Again, thanks so much!  
'03 Concours  COG#8499  Portland, OR

Offline Wizeguy

• Road Bike
  • Closet Hooligan
  • COG#: 12487
Battery Tender???
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
My '04 still has the original battery, 4 yrs and almost 40K miles later.  I've never used a battery tender, bike rarely sits more than a week, and I always keep the electrolyte level where it should be.  I don't have the power demands some guys do (just grip heaters, GPS and an AmpliRider system), but clearly this has been a really good cell for me so far.  (Knocking on wood...)  Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA
Mike B / Seatac, Washington
1989 C10 "Gigi"
Former COG#6624

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
Battery Tender???
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »
Mike just in contrast, when I bought my 04 used with 3800 miles on it the battery was not cared for at all.  It died a week later in the middle of NO WHERE    ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Wizeguy

• Road Bike
  • Closet Hooligan
  • COG#: 12487
Battery Tender???
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »
Holy crap, I think you just won the "Middle of Nowhere" contest!    With your story in mind, I think I'll be buying a new battery this spring...  Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA
Mike B / Seatac, Washington
1989 C10 "Gigi"
Former COG#6624