Author Topic: Belly Pan  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Belly Pan
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
A couple note for those who try this at home:    1. Remember this line from an earlier post.  "In any case when I try for second the lever moves up to the point its a hair from the pulse cover and its still not finding second. It always stays in neutral."    Well unless you have size 40 shoes, there is a problem here. Lever is facing the wrong direction.     2. Put the drive shaft boot back on BEFORE installing the drive shaft and swingarm. Fortunately the swingarm was not all bolted up. Just had it in position.    3. When installing the drive shaft and putting the little pin in place. The output splines on the bevel drive, where the nut is, has a small, flat, round spring metal piece that the pin pushes against. This keeps the pin pushed out where it needs to be to keep the drive line pinned in place. -- Well the new 7th gear unit didnt have one of these ( I removed mine from the old unit ). So initially the pin just pushes through the splines and does not have any spring tension. I am wondering WTF? The other one was not like this. I could not see where the manual mentions this little piece. So I had to panic over this one before comparing the two units and swapping the piece from the old to the new.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:44:00 pm by Slybones »
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
Belly Pan
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »
So all in all I have another 3 hours into it today. To be ready for the test ride. This includes the above items and filling fluids, etc.     Got a bit more to get all the plastic on. So for me figure about a 11 hour job, with 7 of that being reasonable and 4 of that being a dumb a**.    Edit: And I got a big mess out in the garage to cleanup. So add another hour or two for that.    2003 Concours  COG #6953  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:48:00 pm by Slybones »
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Belly Pan
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »
 Yeah, connie's are very time consuming to work on, even if you know where everything goes. Kinda like working on a car moreso than on a bike. Makes me appreciate my klr, but then when I pull the throttle I appreciate the connie...     As far as shifting is concerned, I noticed mine shifted so fast it was jumping into the next gear before I had even timed my clutch action. A little pressure on the shifter and BANG another gear.     Your gearing with the pilot gt's equals a 15% gearing increase, so now your 5th gear is exactly equal to what 6th gear used to be. Roll ons seem slower, but if your bike is tuned well, you'll run right with a  stock geared bike. I did a 7th gear / exhaust sprocket / jet kit on Bob Melehans bike, and actually outran Stevej's stock bike on highway roll - ons. When you get the sprocket in you'll pick up some of that low end torque, and you'll be good to go! Steve   Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets.       My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline rodger_pack

• Training Wheels
Belly Pan
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:00 am »
Being cuurent owner of "the blue bike" (and the windshield), I can tell you it is a Gustaffson.  
HEY! This getting old thing is NOT for sissies !!

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
Belly Pan
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »
Did a 17mi round town spin this morning. No freeway. Was going to do that this afternoon, but its starting to rain pretty good. No leaks or anything. I think I'll throw the plastic on and hope tomorrow is better.    Shift Kit. I like it. Fast and smoother. In general I have not been to much at clutchless shifting, IE a little pressure on the lever, ease off the throttle and it just slides into the next gear. Sometimes when accelerating down an on-ramp and I am reaching up to flip down the visor I will do a gear or two this way. But generally I use the clutch.  -- When I tried a few of these today it definitly pops into the next gear real quick. But for regular clutch shifts it was a mix while on this ride. For the most part I dont notice much timing difference. But at the same time I have to admit there was a few times where I think it was in the next gear and the lever had not really moved much/yet. I could tell I was off.    7th gear unit. For riding around town 3rd is gear of choice now. Before I used 3rd and 4th. Now you really have to go 45 plus to want to use 4th. That I recall 3rd used to be pretty dang close to 1:1. If I was going 35mph 3500 rpms. 40mph, 4000rpms. Now 35mph yields a tick over 3000 and 40mph is more like 3600. Upshift to 4th at 40mph and the bike accelerates to 45mph. She didnt seem to want to go 40mph in 4th.     Still with that Exhaust sprocket, it pulls nice 3000 and up. I dont see it being an issue other than your going faster. -- I recall in the other forum early adpoters of the 7th gear claiming the bike accelerates just as good and your going faster. And the critics saying that cant be so, that the changed gear ratio has to slow down acceleration everthing else being equal. -- My opinion would be that while the critics may technically be correct, from a practical perspective I'll side with the group that days your just going faster. "Feels" good to me.    Never used 5th or 6th for this ride.     2003 Concours  COG #6953  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:54:00 pm by Slybones »
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
Belly Pan
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 04:21:00 am »
I have just installed Steve's jet kit, and am waiting for the weather to clear a bit to go for a spin.
   Well you know I will be looking for help once mine gets here. I am going to have Steve send me one of them as partial payment on the core charge I will have coming back. -- Steve, will ship Friday. Off to Canada tomorrow.    2003 Concours, 46K  COG #6953  IBA 28004  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm  
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Belly Pan
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »
 Well you know I will be looking for help once mine gets here  
   Sure no problemo bring it over, the bike lift is vacant at the moment :)  I have just ordered up some new needle/float valves from Murph as I'm pretty sure mine are leaking.   If you have any doubt about yours order some up and replace them. Mine have 50K and 10 years on them so I suspect the springs are soft and the rubber worn. stable height is very important for good performance.      Colin Prior  Cogmos Committee Chairman  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767      
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:39:00 pm by colinp386 »
Colin Prior