Author Topic: Bent Front forks  (Read 777 times)

Offline The ice man

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
Bent Front forks
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:22:35 pm »
I removed the front wheel, The fender,  Brake calipers and the right fork. Next I plan to remove the left fork. Next I will remove the forks from the old bike and install them in new connie. I am thinking not to disassemble the forks right now. I will do that another day, so can speed things up for now. I looked at the triple trees, they do not look bent or damaged to me? So I am thinking just leave them in place? Any suggestions?

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Bent Front forks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:40 pm »
you'll find out when you try to fit the new ones. Ive been fooled before, you may get lucky.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 07:35:21 pm »
If the fork bent, the triple trees are tweaked, and should be inspected. Being they are aluminum I would dye check them and or replace with known good ones if the new forks don't fit easily.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
I removed the front wheel, The fender,  Brake calipers and the right fork. Next I plan to remove the left fork. Next I will remove the forks from the old bike and install them in new connie. I am thinking not to disassemble the forks right now. I will do that another day, so can speed things up for now. I looked at the triple trees, they do not look bent or damaged to me? So I am thinking just leave them in place? Any suggestions?
I'll leave the triples to someone like MOB.  Why create another job down the road by not at least changing the fork oil while you have them off already?  The tortoise always wins the race Randy. :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:37 pm »
I'll leave the triples to someone like MOB.  Why create another job down the road by not at least changing the fork oil while you have them off already?  The tortoise always wins the race Randy. :great:
I've seen some catastrophic fork damages, and have to say that unless the forks were completely bent backwards under the bike, the tree's are probably just fine.. you can bend a tube easily, and with all the length/leverage involved, and the fact the forks themelves are only held parallel at the bottom, by the axle itself allows them to twist and bend very easily, with no damage to the clamps up top.
So I wouldn't panic about the trees, I would however remove them, clean and inspect the bearings, and regrease them... while doing all the rest.. knowing that if you decide to change out that steering stem, it will require punching out the old bearing cups from the bikes frame... ya can't mix and match in other words, a the steering head races, won't match the mating cup part on the frame, and will ruin the complete top and bottom bearing in short order.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:45:32 pm »
Pics
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 05:46:20 pm »
Last one.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:06:20 pm »
 :'( :truce:
Yeah, those took a pretty good whump, if the steering head bearing were loose at the time, they may have been compromised, i.e., rollers bit in and created a dent in the cup...
it's a toss up now; at least disassemble, clean and inspect, before installing the other forks in the trees... but after seeing those, and doing head bearings before, I'd toss the money into new bearings and install the known good steering head if you plan to make this bike your "main bike".  :great: :motonoises:

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 09:08:53 pm »
Do I need special tools, to do this? Can use wheel bearing grease?

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
 You can use that.  This isn't a high speed wheel bearing here.  I'd be surprised if Rich said there was some special grease you had to use on this.  MOB what do you say about the grease?  As for the steering stem bearing cups, there are a few ways to go.  You can run a bead with a welder and drop the bearing cup quickly.  You can buy a puller that will pull the race.  Taking a drift and punching out the cup seems to be a bit of a problem.  If you have someone that can run a bead one the cup, I would go that way.  If I'm off with this advice, correct me please.  HTH
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:28:49 pm by Bud »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 10:29:41 pm »
for grease, jut the generic "red" wheel bearing grease is fine, tough to "re-pack" the bottom race, but jamb it in and rotate. repeatedly, filling the cage of the bearing fully... the top bearing you can do the "dallop" of grease in the palm, and forcefeed by "scraping" it into the race...

if you are gonna replace the bearings, let me know, and I'll post the best methods for removing them... they require some "special" tool/prowess, to get the one off the stem, and both cups out of the frame... but I'm not going into it unless you are planning to replace them...

There is an article I wrote on the tooling, and process (as would be done in a Kaw shop) in the Concourier archives, in the library... it's called "shake, rattle, n roll" in iirc, the "spring '07 issue"...
we have found "alternatives" and cheaper tools, but just don't go buying "tools", until you seek advice... because the "generic" tool won't work.... just mentioning...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 10:33:18 pm »
Rich shares the extra special secret stuff with paid members........HINT HINT. ;) :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 10:53:19 pm »
Rich shares the extra special secret stuff with paid members........HINT HINT. ;) :)

that's not true.. I share it all, and I do it for free.. how could any decent COG person with tech knowledge ever do less...with regard to normal maintenance? i just get tired of digging up data, photos, typing procedures, etc., and posting until someone asks lately..  If asked, I always oblige.  :great:

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 03:08:04 am »
I went to tech pages and found shake rattle and roll . It asks for my username and password, which I submitted. Then I clicked on download file , then it asks  for a password which it don't have?..? It isn't giving me a password?.?

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 03:19:05 am »
I have downloaded the file but I can't open it, because I don't have a password?

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 03:44:12 am »
I have downloaded the file but I can't open it, because I don't have a password?
I tried it and the password was given in the "ok" box that I just blew by the first time.
Started over and read the text before clicking "ok"... got it all.
1987 Concours

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 04:03:49 am »
Tried it again, same result,  I can  download the file but I can't open it? No password?

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 02:03:23 pm »
The password is given in the pop-up box where you have to click ok to get the file.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 05:08:03 pm »
The old Connie's registration will expire in eight days. I would like to none OP it before then, so I don't have to pay the new registration fee.  I already have The new Connie's registration paid for the year. I to not want to disassemble the steering, just install the front forks, fender, wheel and ride away.
     I can remove inspect grease and so on, at another time. If I do that, would it cause steering components to become more damaged?  I have both forks out now,  I can't detect anything wrong with the steering....or the triple trees...
    By the way I am not planning to reinstall the lower and middle fairings, just the upper fairing and windshield?

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 11:31:57 am »
I would think that IF you can install the fork tubes in tweaked triples, you're not going to harm the triples any more by doing so.  It's above my pay grade to give advice on what that might do to the tubes.  If the triples are tweaked, you'll replace them so it's not like you took something that could have been saved and trashed it.  If the triples are tweaked, it's not going to feel right when you ride it.  So either you ride it feeling weird or you go back and pull it all apart again and replace everything.  All I can tell you is that shortcuts can bite you in the butt.  That's how it works for me anyway.  So if it's me, I'm replacing it all and servicing the forks.  We're not talking about that much time to do it right the first time.  Throwing it all together is a crap shoot.  If you don't mind going back and doing it all over again, throw it together and see what happens.  How lucky are you feeling today?   HTH :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 12:55:59 pm »
If you are worried about the triples being tweaked take them to a local machine shop.
Ask them to put them on a surface plate and measure them for flatness with no rocking.
You could do this yourself on a peace of plate glass also.
If you can slide the forks into the triples without any effort, both sides them they most
likely are not bent. Don't use the forks in the pictures as they look trashed to me.

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 01:08:25 pm »
The old Connie had a salvage title when I bought it. I don't know what they did to it or didn't do to it before I got it, other then I can see it looks like it was dropped on the right side. Were the front forks ever bent and replaced? I don't know? Are the triple trees tweaked on the old bike? I don't know?
     How can I tell?

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 01:18:56 pm »
  Will I be able to disassemble the steering, or do I need special tools to disassemble?

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
I have not replaced bent forks on a C-10. So, MOB can correct me here if I err.... ??

The only difficulty in disassembly is getting the bearing races out.
When I did mine, I was lucky and simply tapped them out with a long punch.
Others have had a lot more difficulty...
To re-assemble, it takes some finesse.
MOB's procedure would help you there.
 NOTE: I built a special tool to help keep everything straight when doing the install.

There is a simple test you can do, to check things out.
Install the good forks in the triple trees, and then install the handlebars and wheel.
Then (with wheel off the ground) slowly turn the handlebars side to side.
As you turn the bars, your feeling for a click {that is caused by a cracked or worn race/bearing}...
If you feel a click, the bearing races are damaged and need replacing.
  {NOTE: If you have that click it will probably be felt as the front wheel passes the center of it's rotation}.

By the way, I agree with MOB/Pbfoot.
    {Do not tell them I sed that!}  :-[
The tripple trees took a heck of a hit. Could be cracked.
  Either install the ones from the old bike, or do a careful inspection of the ones currently on the bike...

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:31:12 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline The ice man

• Moped
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 01:49:35 pm »
So can disassemble, except the races, for inspection and grease but I will not be able to reassemble without special tool?