Author Topic: Bevel Gearbox installed  (Read 663 times)

Offline Kawadog

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10024
  • Membership Level: Active
Bevel Gearbox installed
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:09:33 am »
After my issue with an oil leak because of my loose bolts ( Factory issue) on the bevel case ( the gasket was protruding) It is put back together!!! Hell Yeah!!!

I found something that you might want to look at.

After 25000 miles, I never looked at charging the nipples on the linkage with fresh grease. The linkage is lubricated with needle bearings.
If you do not know anything about needle bearings...It is a bearing like a roller bearing with tiny needles  except the needles are loose.
This is something you do not want to replace.

When I was 10 years old my friend an I rebuilt his 10HP Scott Attwater outboard under the supervision of his father.

The Main as well as the Rod bearings were needle bearings. they are all loose with a cap in the ends. you have to place then in order with grease to get the bearing in place. this a total pain in the a**!

Grease with a marine lubricant. The reason I say this is because Christine never sees rain...But when I Greased the nipples the grease coming out was almost a liquid..............not good.

Here she is done with the exception of the water pump. I have the O rings on order and they should show up next week. The heat has totally deteriorated them ( all 3).

LATER...MARK