Author Topic: BGCG  (Read 392 times)

Offline Mit

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
BGCG
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:19 am »
Ok here we go. Long time sand bagger first time on a post of any kind other than fence. I'm about ready to finish up installing a new bevel gearcase gasket and came across what seems to be a stupid simple question but one that has me thinking none the less. First I will explain that the bike is a 2001 in fine shape unlike the owner. I am no stranger to wrenching on bikes, I do all of my own maintenance and repairs. I ride and I ride a lot from tank full to tank full and maybe food stops in between and I am always looking for like minded people to ride with seems easy enough but it ain't.  Ok enough about me here's my question of the day that I assume has been asked more than the amount of letters in the preceding ramblings.....

My Haynes manual calls for me to "21  Apply sealant to the gearcase mating surfaces on the crankcase where to two case halves meet. See  Figure 87"
I can only assume this instruction is in lieu of installing the new metal gasket that I was able to order and pick up from a somewhat local dealer?
Being I am new to forums and posting topics please feel free to point and laugh or send me packing. I do so solemnly swear to keep my future posts to less than a pictures worth of words and get right to the point. For those of you willing to engage I thank you and to all those apposed,  well......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: BGCG
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:18:50 am »
 :)) :)) :)) :))

welcome fresh one...
Date Registered: Today at 08:11:29 pm

dunno how much you have read prior, but this has just been an issue recently discussed.. I assume you are installing a new metal gasket, behind the output assembly to the engine.. correct?
I never liked the Haynes books, just because it sounded like the folks that make underwear... pun intended, so from the factory manual, I assume you are talking about the 'horizontal' case split area, where they say to apply 'sealant'. when doing this new install, with a new metal gasket, I'd sway mysellf to not picking at that horizontal split line (figuratively, as in "don't pick at it") and coat the new metal gasket with a copperized shellac type sealer, like a "head gasket of olden times" was done.
this comes to mind, as an example...
https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/gasket-sealant/permatex-9-oz-aerosol-can-copper-spray-a-gasket-hi-temp-adhesive-sealant/520940_0_0

or, some hairspray, Like the Flo chick uses, either works... but it's really overkill..
whatever you choose, use it sparingly.. as long as that little crack either side of the case split line wasn't compromised, a light , and I mean light, schmeer of any sealant will be fine, and ONLY on the area of the split, either side...
(the metal gasket was a superceded designed part, to replace a paper gasket,  and doesn't call for any sealers... supposidly..   but I have an old can of Indian Head coperized head gasket spray, so I err on the side of double condoms, and double bags, one on my head, and one over her's...... if you get the joke.) :great:

best of luck, and welcome... :great:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:30:38 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Mit

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 01:34:55 am »
Thank you for the perfect answer. Being an owner of a Harley shovel head with a sidewinder big bore kit I have the exact copper goop needed as it's required to keep those stupid heads from developing a leak.
 Thanks again for putting my mind at ease. It's true the Haynes manual is not as detailed as it should be but has served me well (until now) because the bike has served me well and has needed nothing more than regular maintenance until now. Another evening in the garage and I should be back in the breeze!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:49:38 am »
the metal gasket has a clear coating on it. No additional coating is needed. The reason for a dab of sealant at the case parting line is because sometimes there's a machining mismatch there, and the height offset would allow a seep to develop. Just put a finger dab on the mismatch and install the gasket dry. Good luck, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Mit

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:21:01 am »
Thank you Steve. So, do we all feel that changing the water pump oil seal is a MUST? Seems the consensus would be yes but after looking at mine while the water pump is out it is still seated, what looks like properly. I am of the mindset  of it ain't broke don't fix it. The job seems easy enough if it were to fail at a later time but I'm not nearly as smart of a human as my dog thinks I am!

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:35:06 pm »
I bet your dog is only buttering you up for pets and food treats and keeps what he thinks about your smarts to itself.....

:))
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:45:24 pm »
if it ain't broke.... is always my thought process... let it be.
I've seen brand new seals pop out in a week, and I've seen seals from the factory last 90k miles... without a drip...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:49:08 pm »
Thank you Steve. So, do we all feel that changing the water pump oil seal is a MUST? Seems the consensus would be yes but after looking at mine while the water pump is out it is still seated, what looks like properly. I am of the mindset  of it ain't broke don't fix it. The job seems easy enough if it were to fail at a later time but I'm not nearly as smart of a human as my dog thinks I am!

When I did mine, the water pump looked good, unlike the bevel drive gasket. I left it alone, hasn’t leaked in 3 years since. If it ain’t broke...
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline Mit

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:07:00 am »
Thanks you all for the words of advice. Con..queror is back together and leak free.

Brooke, my dog read your reply and he couldn't agree more....