Author Topic: bike stays on even with key off  (Read 330 times)

Offline tercopete

• New Rider wiith 94 zg1000
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
bike stays on even with key off
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:36:11 pm »
I changed my main harness since the rats had a field day with my wiring. After changing the main harness I noticed that after riding i would turn the key off instead of bike turning off the bike remained on, and today before changing the front wire harness the battery was completely dead, it drained my gel cell battery completely literally completely dead not even one amp.  Does anyone know why this happened and what do i need to double check.  HELP

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: bike stays on even with key off
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:48:44 am »
You may have acquired a old or new model wire harness that doesn't match your model year?
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Paul

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11981
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:59:10 am »
I had a BMW K100 that did this. The starter relay would fuse. Some times you could take the relay out, tap it and plug it back in and it would be fine. For a while. The underlying cause was either the starter or alternator. Replaced both with rebuilt units and problem solved.

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:33:10 pm »
I’ve never ‘cessed out the total difference between old and new harnesses as Bob commented on, but, I have seen the same symptom if the MAIN relay in the J-Box has had its contacts weld together. Possibly just a coincidence, but you might try giving the J-box a sharp rap to see if the contact will break free.

Seems to me that if it is a harness issue, the bike’s dash would have lit up as soon as the battery was connected. My bux are on the relay in the J-Box.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:22:02 pm »
I changed my main harness since the rats had a field day with my wiring. After changing the main harness I noticed that after riding i would turn the key off instead of bike turning off the bike remained on, and today before changing the front wire harness the battery was completely dead, it drained my gel cell battery completely literally completely dead not even one amp.  Does anyone know why this happened and what do i need to double check.  HELP

Inquiring minds want to know.............

??????????????????????
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:06 pm »
yeah, I'm curious also... :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

but, being taught the "fooling the ignition switch" trick buy Guy, I can also see that a bad, or goobied up keyswitch, could be an issue also (you can do a magic "flick-quick" on the key, and turn off/disable the lights and such, while the bike is still running...)... so it may be possible the key is not enabling the contact break, within the switch itself.
might look there for the issue also.  Just a thought. :??:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...