Author Topic: Block-Off plate and vacuum lines  (Read 443 times)

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12674
  • Membership Level: Active
Block-Off plate and vacuum lines
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:28:13 am »
I'm putting on Murph's block-off plates and all has gone well except for the part about capping vacuum ports.  I've read and reread Murph's instructions, and then looked at years of forum discussions and I think my bike is plumbed differently (or wrong?) from other bikes.  My bike is a 2006 California emission model.

As I understand it, carb port 1 and 4 should be connected together and then a "T" connector will send off a line going to the PAIR valves.  The vacuum line from carb 2 goes to the petcock and the line from carb 3 should be capped.

What I'm finding is that carb ports 1 and 4 are connected to a "T", but then that ends up leading to emissions related thingy (Vapor pump? see pic) on the lower right side of the bike.  Line 2, as expected goes the petcock, and carb 3 goes to the PAIR valve. 

Am I good just pulling the line from carb 3 and capping it?

Two pics. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:27:35 am by TinDog »

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12214
Re: Block-Off plate and vacuum lines
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:08:23 pm »
I would guess it's a charcoal canister.  The cali bikes have different tank vents.  My bike (non-cali 2006) has a single tank vent vented to atmosphere via a hose that routes down to the frame. I have the block off plates, with 1,3, and 4 capped.  There is also a plug in the air box that I assume the PAIR valve plumbed into.

EDIT: Clymer calls this a vapor/liquid separator.  The canister is more of a rectangle shape.  If you have it check Chapter 8 figure 19 and 22.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:19:41 pm by beaucephus »

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »
This might help.  The hoses are dirty but have color coding.  This doesn't seem at all related to the PAIR so you might be able to keep using it.   

Liquid Vapor Separator
White - Connect to number 3 (Vacuum hose)
Blue - Connect to tank (breather)
Blue - Connect to Center nipple on canister (breather)
Red - Connect to left tank nipple (return hose)

Canister
Green - Connect to back of air box (Purge)
Blue - To canister liquid vapor separator (breather)
Yellow - To some kind of T fitting and to carbs?  This might be the bowl vents. (breather)

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:52:51 pm »
You're removing the PAIR valve, so THAT vacuum hose needs to be removed and that vacuum source capped, preventing a vacuum leak.  So yes, capping the #3 port and removing the PAIR valve sounds right.... then plug the hole in the airbox the large hose goes into.

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 05:14:33 pm »
Thank you Mcfly.  You confirmed what logically made sense, even though my vacuum lines differ from everything else I've read about. 

As for the other replies, thanks.  I am getting to the removal of the emissions stuff too and will need to figure out which tank vents get capped, looped with a vacuum hose, or are left open with a dangling hose (I'm supposing these are the options).  Your info will help.

My 1 & 4 vacuum hoses are now part of a loop that ends with the vacuum ports and starts with one or more tank vents.  I just want to be careful I don't leave what is now a closed system open.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:56:50 pm »
Just remember, without the emissions you need to leave a vent to each float bowl, (factory, they are paired and tee'd, so you only have two line dangling) and one to the tank, open. There is a vacuum hose from one vacuum port (doesn't matter which one) to the vacuum port on the fuel petcock. There is also a drain on the bottom of the fuel gauge sending unit, leave that one open and dangling in a safe place.  Everything else can be closed. It's generally not a good idea to close a vacuum line from one vacuum port to another. Use separate caps. If you make a cap from a short piece of vacuum line and a bolt or screw, make sure the bolt or screw has a smooth section beyond the threads inside the vacuum line, as just threads will cause a vacuum leak.

And to help identify which fittings are which, refer to beaucephus's list and to Brock Delp's microfiche pages: Brock Delp's '99 Kawasaki Concours Microfiche (click on "Fuel Evap System" and "Fuel Tank")
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:04:20 pm by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12686
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:47:00 pm »
So I'm doing this as well. What lines from the tank need to be capped? Or do all three just vent out via hose?
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:16:39 am »
So I'm doing this as well. What lines from the tank need to be capped? Or do all three just vent out via hose?

You do not want to cap tank vents.  On Non-Cali bikes, the vent hoses all run down in front of the battery.  Just cap the vacuum port the PAIR valve connects to.  If it 'tees' to two ports, cap 'em both and remove the tee.  Less hoses is a good thing!
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12686
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 01:17:52 am »
Awesome. Thank you. I had a feeling that capping them wasn't right but wanted to ask first!
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 04:02:28 am »
I'm putting on Murph's block-off plates and all has gone well except for the part about capping vacuum ports.  I've read and reread Murph's instructions, and then looked at years of forum discussions and I think my bike is plumbed differently (or wrong?) from other bikes.  My bike is a 2006 California emission model.

As I understand it, carb port 1 and 4 should be connected together and then a "T" connector will send off a line going to the PAIR valves.  The vacuum line from carb 2 goes to the petcock and the line from carb 3 should be capped.

What I'm finding is that carb ports 1 and 4 are connected to a "T", but then that ends up leading to emissions related thingy (Vapor pump? see pic) on the lower right side of the bike.  Line 2, as expected goes the petcock, and carb 3 goes to the PAIR valve. 

Am I good just pulling the line from carb 3 and capping it?

Two pics.

I have a bad habit of examining photos people post, closely, to see if there are " other things" needing attention... I just do it, as whenever I examine a bike, I make mental notes...

In your sedond photo... I can see that you need to pay some attention to that rear coolant log's o rings, and probably service the thermostat housing seals also...

But,the log. O rings for certain, its evident from the crusty white deposits, and the wetish area below...

COG members can access an artkcle in in old Concourier, that I wrote, called "Coolant woes"...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 06:42:20 pm »
I've got the hoses and O-rings sitting in a box, but my garage projects tend to go very slowly.  My bike is my primary transportation.  If not the C10, it's not he local bus that turns a 25 minute motorcycle ride into a 1-1/2 to 2 hour trip - each way.  I'm hoping to add a car to the fleet which will allow me options.  I do watch the coolant and so far no loss, but yeah, I saw the crusty stuff too.

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:05:51 pm »
If you remove the vapor pump, cap the left side nipple (looking at the back of the tank) with a high quality, rubber cap that's fuel resistant.  Also, get the correct size fuel line clamp for the cap.  NAPA should have the cap (Echlin brand I believe).  That nipple connects to a line inside the tank that comes out by the filler cap.  If uncapped, it will spill fuel if you drop the bike or over fill the tank.  The middle nipple is for the drain tray around the filler neck.  Leave that hose attached.  The right nipple is the tank vent.  You can disconnect and leave unplugged.  The gas cap vents to the atmosphere, as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:31:35 pm by Jim »