Author Topic: block off plates: yea or nay?  (Read 911 times)

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: block off plates: yea or nay?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 03:18:38 am »
I made mine out of some old piece of Cessna. With those and the C.O.P. ignition mod, it makes the top of the engine real clean.

2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 03:34:26 am »
What's the deal with your coils and wires?

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 04:36:24 am »
What's the deal with your coils and wires?

A few years back a forum member "T-Cro" came up with a kit to replace the old wires and coils with Coil-On-Plug stuff, it was a plug-and-play setup.  Despite some theories that it couldn't possibly work, and might perhaps cause the Earth to fall into the sun, it works GREAT.  Quicker starts, less trouble with eroded ends in high tension cables (there are none), and, as you can see, much cleaner engine compartment. 

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 05:51:34 am »
The block off plates look good. But, why two washers on the bolts?

For my wideband, I need a fused 12v switched wire (only hot when the ignition is on). I need to tap into this wire at an easy place. Any ideas? I'll run the ground to the negative terminal of the battery.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:23 am »
Batboy - just keep going. If it makes you happy and you've got the money to tinker then tinker away.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 12:21:00 pm »
I found a good switched power source for the wideband. I'm using the accessory wire connector under the seat.

I know a lot of people don't share my vision for how I want my bike to be. But, that's okay. My "should have been" Concours will no longer be castrated. I plan to restore the legendary Ninja power (remember, the Ninja was the fastest production motorcycle in the world back then). Of course, everyone knows the ZG1000 uses a "detuned" Ninja engine (smaller cams, carbs, and exhaust). Okay, sit back and relax, I'm going to tell y'all a story.

Thirty some years ago, I took a new Concours for a test ride. I was seriously considering trading in my 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR for the new Concours. All the magazine articles made a big fuss over the Ninja ancestry (as did Kawasaki marketing). I remember thinking that if I bought one, I would restore the Ninja power. Unfortunately, at about the same time, I got engaged to my future exwife. Also, my brother had a terrible crash while riding his motorcycle. He almost died and is permanently handicapped. So, I didn't buy the Concours. Now, thirty years later, I finally corrected my mistake. But, I still want the Ninja power.

I know swapping in the Ninja parts has been done many times already and I know doing this will shift the peak power range upwards to a higher RPM. So, maybe I'm being foolish? If I want Ninja power, why not just get a Ninja instead of the heavy C10? **Shrugs shoulders** Oh well, it's my bike and my dream, so I'm going to make it happen. End of story.

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 01:28:32 pm »
I got real fancy and found a valve cover from a Canadian bike, no reed valves at all (I think Europe too?) and swapped out the cover all together. With the TCro stick coils, it was nice and neat under there.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 01:33:40 pm »
im looking forward to seeing the afr numbers on your bike batboy.

btw, for the record, my bike doesn't 'pop' on decel, or ever.  :motonoises:

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »
The block off plates look good. But, why two washers on the bolts?

For my wideband, I need a fused 12v switched wire (only hot when the ignition is on). I need to tap into this wire at an easy place. Any ideas? I'll run the ground to the negative terminal of the battery.

I was too lazy to get shorter bolts, but I had a lotta washers.

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 02:47:43 pm »
I got real fancy and found a valve cover from a Canadian bike, no reed valves at all (I think Europe too?) and swapped out the cover all together. With the TCro stick coils, it was nice and neat under there.

I thought of that, but then wondered how the CN valve cover was fitted up to a CN head - IF - there was such an item. If one existed - OR - were their heads (like ours) and still had the exhaust ports that would go somewhere? Also, if they did, were hollow dowels still used for cover and plug well gasket alignment? Or, did they just use solid dowels?

I was getting a headache, so I just plugged mine off with set screws. Hellava lot less expensive. As mentioned, I may swap off to solid dowels the next time I have the valve cover off.......  in about 29,000 miles.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 03:06:36 pm »
I looked at that valve cover a day or two ago (eBay auction in link). Never found out for sure if it would fit. Sometimes search in the forum is like spinning your wheels in sand.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 04:22:40 pm »
it will fit.

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 06:14:41 pm »

I thought of that, but then wondered how the CN valve cover was fitted up to a CN head - IF - there was such an item. If one existed - OR - were their heads (like ours) and still had the exhaust ports that would go somewhere? Also, if they did, were hollow dowels still used for cover and plug well gasket alignment? Or, did they just use solid dowels?

I was getting a headache, so I just plugged mine off with set screws. Hellava lot less expensive. As mentioned, I may swap off to solid dowels the next time I have the valve cover off.......  in about 29,000 miles.

Guy,

It was a direct bolt on, the top of the valve cover just did not have the castings for the reed valves. Plug the air box, good to go. Everything else the same, dowels, ect.  It did take a while to have one become available, but I was in no rush, had to wait for a valve adjust check interval. :D
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 08:11:13 pm »
Thanks, good to know about the Canadian valve cover. I'll probably pass for now. I'm just using electrical box covers (stamped made in the USA) for my block off plates like one member posted earlier. The aluminum flat stock I had turned out to be 1/4" thick (I thought it was 1/8"). I don't want it sticking up that much. I'll post a photo when I'm done. The wide band is taking longer to install and connect than I thought. Had to take the tank back off to run wires and zip tie them along the frame. But, it's almost done (except for the exhaust bung).

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2019, 08:23:58 pm »
When you get to the point of trying to make the "BUNGhole" (I just love saying that word...), start a new "thread" about it.
Others have played havoc trying to do some similar things, on another forum, and found they did not get good results, as we are dealing with 4 into 2, with a cross pipe. Before hand, open a conversation with Steve Sefsick, SISF, Shoodaben fellow, between the 2 of you, and pick his brain if you can,(or is willing... just don't try to get "secrets", as we both refuse to give some stuff out, (but what you may be asking will surley be within the realm of "am I doing this right") he may be able to simplify your efforts, and supply the info you need, without a bunch of "interaction" here, that may stray from the purpose and result.. just a recommendation.. and he's a pal...   :great:
 ;) ;) ;)
he, and/or I, could probably accomplish verbally in less than a half hour, what would take days of back and forth postings

anyway, I watched too much Bevis and Bungholio..
https://youtu.be/LHv2dIM3t9I
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:32:50 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »
He said bunghole... hehehehe.

The wideband instructions say locate bung at least 24 inches downstream of exhaust port outlet. The bung should be before the X or H pipe. Mount bung between the 9:00 o'clock and 3:00 o'clock position.

Not much wiggle room. the area after the two head pipes join (collector) and where the H pipe goes across is barely 24 inches. Looks like that's about the only place to put it. I have a wideband on my GTO that I installed as per Innovate's instructions and it works good. I know one of the must important things when mounting the bung (that don't sound right) is to NOT place it in the lower part of the exhaust pipe (below 9:00 or 3:00).

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 11:47:45 pm »
I got my block off plates fabricated and installed. But, I can't find anything around here that I can use to plug the air box hole. I'll have to go to a hardware store and look around. I heard Murphy's Kit just uses a rubber stopper.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 11:51:18 pm »
I got my block off plates fabricated and installed. But, I can't find anything around here that I can use to plug the air box hole. I'll have to go to a hardware store and look around. I heard Murphy's Kit just uses a rubber stopper.

hell dude, buy a bottle of wine... enjoy it, and shove the cork in the hole.. or, i can send ya 200 of them, for $29.95, just call me a BR-549...

tell em Junior sent ya'r

https://youtu.be/9xhTomqDTzE

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 04:55:37 pm »
Or ya could just order a rocker cover from over here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GTR-1000-Rocker-Cover/231382994398?hash=item35df804dde:g:F7cAAOxyXp5SR1xh&redirect=mobile
We never had any of that crap fitted to ours. 😁
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 06:04:27 pm »
I  bought a #3 rubber stopper which fits perfect in the airbox hole leftover after you block off the PAIR valve.

I almost got the bike back together again. MOB wants me riding this bike, so I shall ride.

I finished wiring up the gas gauge resistor mod. But, I'm still in the process of calibrating it.

I had planned to use the accessory plug under the seat for the wideband power. Someone erroneously posted that it was a switched power source. I can tell you mine is not switched. It's hot all the time. If anyone knows of a switched power source that easy to get at somewhere on the left side near the battery, let me know, please?

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 06:50:03 pm »
its not on the left, but the 12v feed to the rear brake light switch is right there on the right and up high. .02

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 09:34:30 pm »
I appreciate the info. The instructions say use a switched 12V source that will support a 3 amp draw. The wideband should not use share power with the stereo, ignition system, lighting, etc. Not much to choose from I guess. I might try connecting into the horn circuit. I also read in one of the threads that #8 on the J-box can be used. Not sure I want to mess with the J-box.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2019, 01:21:16 am »
then run a relay, would be the cleanest signal, right off the battery.  trigger it off one of the lesser circuits.