Author Topic: Bogs down under load  (Read 288 times)

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Bogs down under load
« on: July 06, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »
Still working on my ‘00 C-10. 60k miles.
Ran fine before I took her down for header replacement, exhaust sprocket install, valve adjustment and carb cleaning.
Re-checked the valves and timing. All looked good.
Did the free power mod which could have fixed the issue of struggling to rev above 2000. :motonoises:
After retrieving the dropped screw, continued on the reassembling part.
Did the check of the plug wires by removing and ensuring everything was tight. Number 3 was not.
Fixed that and started her up. Came right on and idled great. Take it up to 4-5000 no problem.
 :great:
Went to try under load and bogging is still present.
Refresher: carbs cleaned, float level set per FM, new pilot screws due to bent tips, set to 2 out.
New float valves, overflow tubes, 2-3 yr old air box boots, Murphs plug wire and caps, new plugs,
SISF exhaust sprocket set w/ timing marks on.
Pardon the video but gives an idea
https://youtu.be/aHVCUKWR6YE
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bafflectomy,Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, free power mod, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes, 2 minute mod, carb spa and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
Re: Bogs down under load
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 03:25:50 pm »
You didn't mention it but do you have the 2-minute mod? If so is your foam in the proper place?

On TDY near Black Hawk CO
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 03:44:53 pm »
No 2-minute mod. Down the road once I sort this out
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bafflectomy,Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, free power mod, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes, 2 minute mod, carb spa and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 05:07:43 pm »
Why the fast idle? If it's truly bogging down under load, that usually means it's too rich. But, is it a bog or just poor response? Poor response usually means it's too lean. Idle up to 1/4 throttle and 3k rpm is mostly on the pilot jets and low speed screws (pilot screws). What size pilot jets are in it? Have you tried low speed screws at 1-1/2 turns?
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:10:54 pm »
VID sounds like it still has a pretty pronounced "miss"...

did you completely ditch all your old fuel from that tank, and use fresh clean fuel, or is the "gas that has been in there a while.. with more added..."?

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 07:03:28 pm »
Gas is a little over a week old.
Put this out also on FB COG and consensus could be timing.
SISF thinks this and am going to look into it tomorrow.
Have FM and thought I had it down but will check anyhow.
Doug aka crag antler

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 08:19:17 pm »
Gas is a little over a week old.
Put this out also on FB COG and consensus could be timing.
SISF thinks this and am going to look into it tomorrow.
Have FM and thought I had it down but will check anyhow.

It's easy to be 1 link off, seen it happen many times.  I kinda agree with Steve on this also,  attention to the actual timing plate down on the crank, and both cam "lines", and counting the links, makes a lot of sense... don't trust "paint marks", use all the "lines" on the gears and timing plate.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 08:23:17 pm »
Crag, you said; Went to try under load and bogging is "still" present.

So, refresh our memory; was it doing the same thing before all the work?

The bent tips on the pilot screws are a flag.
If someone tightened them down enough to bend the tips, the seats may be damaged.
I don't think that is your problem, but 1 1/2 turns probably better as the seat holes may be enlarged.

Have you rode the bike at all?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 08:54:36 pm »

The bent tips on the pilot screws are a flag.
If someone tightened them down enough to bend the tips, the seats may be damaged.
I don't think that is your problem, but 1 1/2 turns probably better as the seat holes may be enlarged.

Ride safe, Ted

the bent tip thing, is usually from improper "probing". K&L needles, stick up, and out of the holes, moreso than OEM do, Combined with the dimensional differences in the actual needle taper, I find it takes actually an extra half turn out, to effect the fuel draw, up thru that circuit, over what the OEM's do.  Just my observation doing a "couple" (    :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao:  ) of them.. and comparing the needle tips with a micrometer.  I actually had to almost "child slap" the "pro" Kaw tech, at the '07 national, when he wanted to "re-adjust" my perfect carb build, that I spent 4 hours doing "show and tell" in front of an audience ... really frosted my Nugz.. but.. hey.. I'm just another "mow'r mek'nik" sooo..  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

best part, was when I had it all done, and Ken McKlurg was standing there.. and I said "hit the button..." it started, and purred at 1000 rpm.. I shut it down, installed my synch tubes, started it again, and couldn't even touch the synch screws with the screw driver, without throwing them off.. crazy lucky I guess.. meh.  Ken smiled... I was happy. Larry Buck asked me for a stubby screw driver so the KAW dude could "show me better...", and when it was done, I went back and fixed it again.. Larry loved it.. Ken loved it.. meh...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:59:20 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 09:39:13 pm »

It's easy to be 1 link off, seen it happen many times.  I kinda agree with Steve on this also,  attention to the actual timing plate down on the crank, and both cam "lines", and counting the links, makes a lot of sense... don't trust "paint marks", use all the "lines" on the gears and timing plate.
Thanks Rich. For the longest time I have been trying to figure this out.
Took a perfectly running bike and did 3 things that could have cause this.
2: carbs and valve adjustments, I've done a few times over the 10 years of love with my '00. And always came out well.
Exhaust sprocket was straight forward and with the lines being on and it idling, I thought I had it correct.
First time ever messing with cams and timing so I've pulled the cover off and will dive into it tomorrow and go thru the process again to ensure all is correct.

During this whole process I haven't loss faith in her as I do love the bike and just know it can't be anything too major.
You guys and your help really do make being a member here worthwhile.
Thanks, Doug
Doug aka crag antler

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:39 pm »

Ride safe, Ted
No, ran good prior.

For the last 10 years, 37000 miles.
After doing the work. 2 miles total >:( >:D
Doug aka crag antler

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:39 pm »
My neon was one tooth off when I ended up with it.  Had no power under a load either.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing