Author Topic: Bought my 3rd Concours  (Read 489 times)

Offline Greenie

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
  • Membership Level: Active
Bought my 3rd Concours
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:52:16 pm »
https://youtu.be/vS-gj1NXtoU

The first (used) '86 purchased in 1991
The second (new) bought in 1998 - just broke 100K miles
The third - 2004 with 11K miles on it. It's super clean, no cracks in the fairing around the turn signals, saddlebags intact (my current saddlebag wore through on the rear drive unit).
It passed my piston height check. I am still going over it - I can return it in a week and get my money back - but at this moment I'm very pleased. I rode it home (40 degrees (F)) and threatening snow/rain but it's super tight - or maybe my current bike is a little "loose".
I paid $2,700
This is the bike I'll most likely take to Mexico in March. I'll keep the 1998 with 100K miles - with that many miles around these parts very few people would be interested in buying it....
Question... Since the main fairing seems to crack without reason around the turn signals would fiberglass mat & resin on the inside keep it in one piece?
I'm not crazy about the tip over bars Murph's sells - I keep breaking motor mount bolts on the left side and the placement makes service a lot more work. The '98 I bought new has never tipped over, and although I'm getting older the bars seem to unnecessary and very inconvenient. Any thoughts? I'm soon to be a pensioner but I can still handle the bike when it's freighted. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Bought my 3rd Concours
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:35:57 pm »
You did fine
I always say if you have a Concours in the barn, and buy another one, hold them... spares are nice, especially when you need a part at the time of departure for a ride or rally..
I've pulled wheels and brakes of my spare bike, just to do a 3000 mile long weekend ride, and upon return,nswapped the parts all back, nice if you have that kind of options, and frugal at the least so you don't worry about tires and such for a quick rally ride..

Enjoy and ride safe

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:35:05 pm »
If you keep breaking motor mount bolts on one side, perhaps the other (right) side isn't shimmed properly??
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Greenie

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:56:02 pm »
I never had an issue until I added the tip over bars. The tip over bar tab really shouldn't stress the engine mount bolt at all - shimmed or not.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:46:27 am »
The fairings don't crack for no reason. if it's cracked, it's from a tip over. In fact on bikes that have the cracked fairing, check the front of the gas tank where the point of the fairing on either side is the closest. if they are uneven, or the tank is dented there, that's another proof positive of a tip over. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Greenie

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:39:20 pm »
I had a son in law for a short time - he took over my garage and may have possibly knocked my bike over. As long as I have owned the '98 - since '98 it has never tipped over in my presence. I (may have wrongly) assumed that the main fairing cracked around the turn signals for other reasons than tipping over.

Offline Greenie

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 06:40:28 am »
I spent the day changing fluids - the brake and clutch fluid was brown with sediment in the reservoirs. Sight glasses were very funky but q-tips got most of the lens clean. I used almost a quart of DOT 4 doing all 3 master cylinders and the related lines and calipers & slave. The oil and filter looked clean but I changed that anyway with Rotella. The oil sight glass - which I had thought was etched on the inside so that way because the crankcase was seriously over filled. With the proper 3 quarts at change the sight glass is "functional" again.
Both tires are not original and have 2005 build dates - they'll go for Michelin Road Commander 2 (rear) and Pilot Road 4GT). This bike has sat around inside somewhere for years.
The nicest part of the day surprisingly was getting it registered. First to city hall to pay excise tax $12 and then to DMV $8 (all MC registrations expire in March so it's all pro-rated) Maine has had a nanny state message on MC plates since 1998 that says "ride safe". Thank God for garage walls! I pulled down a plate from an earlier motorcycle expired back in the 90's that had no "ride safe" message emblazoned on it. The nice lady at DMV allowed me to reused that old plate and said her son does the same thing because of the "ride safe" message with old plates. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against riding safe - I'm strongly in favor of it and 36 years of riding safe is proof.
When I put everything back together the side panels are under pressure from the gas tank - what's up with that?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:53:19 pm by Greenie »

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:50:35 pm »
Are the two rubber cushions on the frame and the two rubber disks for the front of the gas tank still there?
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Greenie

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:40:13 pm »
Yes, they are. I wrapped electrical tape around the steel nubs to give the rubber cushions more staying power. The flat piece that straddles the two parallel frame members is also in place.

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 05:31:31 am »
If you keep breaking motor mount bolts on one side, perhaps the other (right) side isn't shimmed properly??

Isn't it the left upper bolt that gets shimmed?

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:34:22 am »
There is a another rubber damper that goes on the frame besides the flat one and the round ones. I tried to find a picture of where it goes on the frame down tube, although the microfiche shows it, it isn't shown on its frame location. Not sure if that wasn't installed if it would allow the tank to be lower. I believe the two bolts that secure the tank to the frame have rubber washers grommets, but it have Bergmen's gas tank quick disconnect so I'm not sure I remember what the stock looks like.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:51:01 am by Bob_C_CT »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Greenie

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 05:53:51 pm »
The two grommets that cushion the tank (the 10mm sleeved bolts that hold the tank down pass through these grommets) were installed upside down (probably at the factory) These grommets have a thicker flange at the base. When reversed the side panels now have the clearance so the gas tank is not forcing the side panels down lower.