Author Topic: Brake calliper assembly lube  (Read 598 times)

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
  • Membership Level: Active
Brake calliper assembly lube
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »
The question of how to lube brake pistons and seals when reassembling them seems to come up periodically.  Using brake fluid works, but leaves a bit of brake fluid on the exterior parts.  Not really good considering the affinity of brake fluid for moisture.

While wandering around the net looking for a brake assembly lubericant, I found this stuff:

http://redrubbergrease.com/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L63YQ4U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's called Red Rubber Grease, made by Castrol.  Looks like it might be a good solution, but I don't have any knowledge of how well it actually works. 

Has anyone used this stuff?

Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Brake calliper assembly lube
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:07:05 pm »
Hi,
      The ONLY thing I would use Brake/Caliper grease on....

Would be the slider pins on some AUTO brake systems and the contact points on the,  Brake Shoes/Calipers!

As far as anything around the boot piston covers....Brake fluid only!

ANY amount of a petrol based fluid in the brake system and you have big problems!

I use CRC Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease!

My opinion! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:10 pm »
I bought some high dollar rebuild kits with stainless steel pistons and they had a little container of red grease that they advised using on the seals.  I looked at the link you posted.  Looks like what you need.  Never heard of the stuff before buying kits from Brake Crafters.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:20:35 pm by Bud »

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:26:20 pm »
I use RRG on car and bike brake sliders, piston dust seals etc. and Ceratec brake grease on the backs of pads, metal to metal sliders.
There is a guy on ebay UK that sells 2" round tins of greases, RRG, zinc and aluminium stuff for stainless steel, I bought a few which cover every combo I'll see