Author Topic: Brake line  (Read 416 times)

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12686
  • Membership Level: Active
Brake line
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:21:42 pm »
I added 1 1/4 risers to my bike. The top brake line is taught but still has a little play. Should I replace it with a longer line? Or can I unbolt the t junction and create a bracket to move it up a bit?
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
Re: Brake line
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:03:08 pm »
If the brake line is oem I would think about replacing it with a braided one. Temporarily I guess you could try getting more slack by moving the splitter up a little but make sure you have enough slack both at the bars and the wheel for full movement.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:14 am »
I have the fairing off and it looks like the line has enough room to move when the bars are turned. I did find a brake line from eBay that is supposed to be from the junction to the caliper. I figured I can use that until I can get a set of braided lines!

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:39 am »
I have the fairing off and it looks like the line has enough room to move when the bars are turned. I did find a brake line from eBay that is supposed to be from the junction to the caliper. I figured I can use that until I can get a set of braided lines!

Remember the suspension travels down, as well as up... ** Carefully** Jack the front up... see if you have 'slack' then.

I needed new lines with the risers, and I had braided lines  :(  These things happen.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:02:56 am »
Very good point McFly on the suspension extension and retraction.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:13:57 pm »

Remember the suspension travels down, as well as up... ** Carefully** Jack the front up... see if you have 'slack' then.

I needed new lines with the risers, and I had braided lines  :(  These things happen.

Up/down will not affect the upper BRAKE line as it is a fixed length between the master cylinder and the junction because the junction is bolted to the triple tree. Movement only occurs below the junction on the BRAKE line. Left/right movement will affect the CLUTCH line though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:47:14 pm by mnbikeguy »

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »
The clutch line looks fine to me.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 04:49:39 pm »
You want to get rid of the T- junction anyway and replace those lines with a 2 line extended kit.
Murphs kits is your friend in this situation.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »
This

You want to get rid of the T- junction anyway and replace those lines with a 2 line extended kit.
Murphs kits is your friend in this situation.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:44:31 pm »
I added 1 1/4 risers to my bike. The top brake line is taught but still has a little play. Should I replace it with a longer line? Or can I unbolt the t junction and create a bracket to move it up a bit?

T,
 You may need to get longer brake hoses but all of the other cables and lines can be re-routed to give you more slack. You can re-route the throttle cables on the right side of the frame and gain a few inches there. The clutch hose can also be re-positioned for a little extra slack. The one cable that may be tight will be the choke enrichener cable. Murph has the extended versions of those as well. 
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 05:09:28 am »
Enrichener cable is easily rerouted along the backbone of the frame, to provide additional usable length, I did this on both my C10's when I went to tubular bar mounts...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW