Author Topic: Brisk spark plugs?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Brisk spark plugs?
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:04:59 pm »
Been seeing Brisk spark plugs on sale here in England, never heard of them  :o
Brisk BR12ZC are listed for the C10, some sort of triple ring electrode, very odd looking things, and £13 EACH  :-\
They are a 'one size fits all' plug, seems that if its physically the same size, it works, they claim 4.5 hp gains on some bikes....

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Brisk spark plugs?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 05:22:16 pm »
I doubt a spark plug would give that kind of power increase. Don't waste good money. NGK plugs are the best spark plugs on the market for Japanese motorcycles. I have experimented with many brands of plugs during my drag racing days and always ended up using NGK's. And there are no one size fits all plugs. Sounds like a sales gimmick.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:24:43 pm »
I doubt a spark plug would give that kind of power increase. Don't waste good money. NGK plugs are the best spark plugs on the market for Japanese motorcycles. I have experimented with many brands of plugs during my drag racing days and always ended up using NGK's.

Yup. NGK   Good plug!!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »
I always fit NGK Iridiums to any vehicle I plan on keeping, they are a 'fit and forget' part, don't think they improve running on a well set up engine, they just last for as long as I'll keep the vehicle  ;D
But that doesn't mean a new product isn't worth buying...the same was said when irids came out after all. I'll stick with them until I start to find real positive reports on Brisks and any others, thanks  :great:

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:43:14 pm »
  Hi NGK is the answer. :great:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 11:41:27 pm »
I only run NGK's.  Enough said.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:08:27 pm »
Iridium is only useful/relevant on modern ignition systems that have a speficic current flow designed to take advantage of the plug. (Been years since I read about it. Hopefully someone like Steve or MoB has more accurate knowledge).

Probably won’t hurt anything, but why waste the money.

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
Seems like the multi electrode plugs come and go. Dual fire plugs were the rave here for awhile. I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about improved gas mileage and/or performance. Like others have said NGK and save your hard earned money.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline abrus

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:39 am »
I know Brisk spark plugs because I live in Hungary.
Brisk is a Czeh brand (older name was "Super Pal" 20-30 years ago) so I've used it for my bikes in the past. (GL1100, CB900, older Yamahas, and cars)
It is a good quality spark plug like Bosch, Beru, Champion, etc. no more. (+hp, lower consumption and other promise sounds good but not really true)
Nowadays, I just buy simple NGK or Nippon Denso plugs, they are perfect for my Connie, FZR1000 and the scooter.

Ps: I noticed that the NGK D8EA give bigger (and nicer) spark than NGK DR8ES. (there is no resistance in the D8EA)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:37:06 am by abrus »

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:03 am »
József, Your Brisk spark plugs sound like Champions. Years ago Champions were a great spark plug. Now the only thing I might run a Champion in is  my lawn mower. And again like you and others have pointed out NKG's will work the best   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:39:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice abrus, I've looked at the Brisk website...they make some strange looking plugs  ;D
You use D8EA, does anyone else choose these over DR8ES?
 My bike came with DR9EA, its a 1995 A9, with K&N lifetime air filter otherwise standard. I'm from England, we don't have all that stupid air cirulatory recycled flaps and valves junk coming out of the cam cover  :o

Offline abrus

• Big Wheels
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 08:51:01 am »
TimR: Yes that's true, the reputation and quality of the old big names (like Champion, M.Marelli) went wrong. (I have Champion plug in my chainsaw, that's the original part) :rotflmao:
NGK and ND are the best if they are original parts, not Chinese fake.

Offline abrus

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 10:41:08 am »
Jacksdad: You are welcome.
Brisk would like to be famous in the market, so they try to make a "big bang" (or big flash? ;D) by their strange, special shape plugs. (and some marketing bull*hit)
I have bought my 97' Connie (GTR) from Belgium in 2013. (It was standing continuously at a corner of a garage from 2001-2013)
It was fitted with NGK DR8ES plugs but the Kawasaki dealer (who was managed me the shipping, "first" service and documents) suggested that NGK D8EA plugs. (ok, I nodded)
I have an 87' Yamaha FZR1000 (like a brand new) its service manual says NGK DR8 or 9ES plugs (depends on place) so I have used DR8ES.

I have repaired my bikes for more than 20 years (and I'm a curious man) so I have changed D8EA and DR8ES for a test in the Connie and in the FZR.
I noticed that the D8EA makes "nicer" bigger spark in both bikes than DR8ES. (there are new ignition coils, cables, caps on both bikes and I "installed" SiSF's "Free Power" mod :beerchug:)   
I have run more than 15000km (9320 miles) with NGK D8EA plugs and works well. (in the Connie, I rarely ride with FZR) 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:49:18 pm by abrus »

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »
IIRC SISF recommends using the std NGK plug, but in the projected tip version.  Just add a P after the D.
Maybe Steve will chime in on this and give everyone a little refresher course in spark plugs.

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
The Kawasaki manual lists DR9EA for my bike, but D8EA for the US, and DR8ES for the earlier models, again DBEA for US bikes.
I'll probably go for NGK Iridiums once its finished and running, they cover a few heat ranges so will be the best choice, and last forever  ;D

Note: NGK Iridiums for all C10 are DR9EIX, there is a seller on eBay, UK based, sells 4 irids for £28, UK P&P free, and does international shipping. I always buy from them, and have massive positive feedback, like 120,000  :great:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:24:19 pm by jacksdad »