Author Topic: C-10 Clutch/Brake Cups and Seals?  (Read 403 times)

Offline Or'right

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 4797
  • Membership Level: Active
C-10 Clutch/Brake Cups and Seals?
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:55 am »
My Clymer manual says every 2 years I should:
1. Replace the cups and seals in the clutch master cylinder (p.195 - no mention of seals)
2. Replace the seals (I only see one???) in the clutch slave cylinder.
3. Replace the cups and seals in the brake master cylinders (front and rear?).
4. Replace the seals in the front and rear brake calipers.

Question 1: Thru p.199 no reference to seals. No seals shown in Figure 47 p.195. What seals?
Question 2: Figure 67 p.200 shows one seal, but the instruction says "seals." Where are the other ones?
Question 3: Figure 43 p.394 shows cups but no seals. Where are the seals for the front master cylinder?
                    Figure 60 p.399 shows cups but no seals. Where are the seals for the rear master cylinder?
Question 4: Figure 30 p.390 shows two front caliper seals (ok). Figure 58 p.398 shows two seals for the rear caliper (ok).

Thanks!
2005 ZG1000-A20

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11951
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: C-10 Clutch/Brake Cups and Seals?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:38:43 am »
I change the fluid every two years, but I have no idea if the seals have ever been changed. Last year I took my front calipers apart, they were very clean inside so I put them back together with the same o-rings and seals. I sometimes think the engineers who write these manuals may be a bit  a n a l. 
....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig