Author Topic: C10 in a late model short bed truck?  (Read 690 times)

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
C10 in a late model short bed truck?
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:21:58 pm »
So I'm truck shopping (again). 
Wondering if a C10 will fit in the bed of a 5.5' short bed truck (diagonally)?  Seems like all full size crew cab trucks have something in the range of 5.5' beds, but optional beds a little over 6'.

I would like to carry my C10 with us while towing a travel trailer, so tailgate up or tailgate off are my options.

Thanks
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: C10 in a late model short bed truck?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »
Get a long bed my crew cab has a full 8' bed and the longer wheel base makes it a more stable tow rig.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
My 2015 F-250 Crew Cab has a 6.5' bed and it's 96" diagonally but JUST barely.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:40:11 pm »
So I'm truck shopping (again). 
Wondering if a C10 will fit in the bed of a 5.5' short bed truck (diagonally)?  Seems like all full size crew cab trucks have something in the range of 5.5' beds, but optional beds a little over 6'.

I would like to carry my C10 with us while towing a travel trailer, so tailgate up or tailgate off are my options.

Thanks

If I owned a travel trailer, I would never buy a short bed truck... ever.
they are quite useless as far as load, and towing ability... now, toss a bike that weighs 1/4 ton in the bed, and expect to 'tow anything'? think about it a while.
I have 3 trucks, a GMC Sonoma HighRider 4x4 extracab (its a small truck), a Dodge Dakota Sport, with full size bed (another small truck..) and a GMC Sierra midsize, with full size bed;

this bike is like 86+" long, and has 'fat spots in it's middle', so diagonal, dimension wise... in realistic terms, between the beds wheel wells...  it doesn't fit. then add in the different C/G, based on how its sitting, and do an evasive maneuver in the truck... well, when a wheel lifts off the ground, the fun begins. :-\
None of them would accomplish what you are planning on, and ALL would be maxed out in suspension, with a Conni in the bed (all of them, using a home made 'pallet type' bed insert with chock, robust, to carry the bike inline as opposed to at an angle, which I will never do)... rendering towing anything a bit dangerous... unless you have had a towed object go into a 'sway' on a freeway, you won't understand, but trust me, it will make your 'truck choice' a bit more robust for a future try.

so, shortbed, bike on angle... now way.
longer bed, and you still will need the tailgate down, as the Conni is a lot longer than you realize... nope.
hauling both a bike, and a travel trailer (or even a pop up camper)... crazy.

no cheap solution, just bigger truck...longer truck for sure...
be safe,
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:53:51 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RoyG

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12671
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:01:29 pm »
I know my Dodge 1500 short bed in not listed for towing anything.  As stated above it is a short wheelbase truck.
Get in the wind.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:53:23 pm »
kkja13, A 4 door or extended cab truck will add stability as they have more frontal weight.
I think any 1500 series Pickup will haul a (roughly 700 lb) C-10 while towing a reasonable trailer.
Reason being; About 1/2 of the bike weight is above or forward of the rear axle.

NOTE: reasonable caution must be used when hauling any load.

Here is something you may not have thought of. {Tailgate off}
A short bed will be ok if you plan ahead.
A C-10 is about 6' from front tire, to center of rear axle.
You do not need an extension that is much longer than the center of the rear axle.

You can bolt a piece of 3/4" or 1" plywood in the full bed of the truck, with about 8"-12" sticking out beyond the bed.
   Trim the corners of the plywood so it does not cause a problem when pulling/turning with the trailer.
For extra reinforcement you can use 2 x 4"s and make runners that go from front to back or add a support that goes down to your bumper..

A bigger concern is the weight of the trailer, tongue weight, and total weight.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:21:14 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 09:10:10 pm »
Most 1/2 tons are rated to tow around 7,500 lbs to include SUVs like a Tahoe.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 11:20:51 pm »
Most 1/2 tons are rated to tow around 7,500 lbs to include SUVs like a Tahoe.

tow rating, even with receiver hitches like all 3 of my trucks have, Is highly over rated, unless you have towed with them, and have had 700 lbs in the bed of one of them, you aren't seeing the big picture..

for Ted:
extended cab mini pickups have no benefit of weight on the front wheels, therefor when you load the back, your steering is wonky... I've carried about 500# of cut up oak pallet wood from work,(I weighed it all before dumping it into the bed, after I severely overloaded it the first time... and didn't realize it till I got home and noticed how low it was setting....) in each of my trucks, and can say the worst one was my extended cab, best was my full size bed Sierra, but even then, the springs were "flat", and handling sucked, and the tires (16" H/D radials) were squished and pooching out unhappily...

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:41 am »
You may not be following what I'm suggesting.
#1] I'm talking about a 1500 series full sized Pick Up, not a Mini.
            (They used to be called the heavy half and are sprung for heavier loads).

#2] An (extended cab) has a longer wheelbase than a std short bed.
       The length and forward weight do help the handling as the wheelbase is longer, and more load is exerted over the front wheels.  Plus; the truck is sprung for additional weight..

#3] I am certain this is possible.
        I routinely drag a loaded trailer with my F-150 and haul 10 to 20 sacks of corn/feed, and gear to the Ranch.
        I agree the tires/suspension are loaded, but not flat.

Maybe you need to buy a Ford!!    <evil grin> >:D

Ok, ok; I'm sorry... Back to the 1500 series...  :truce:
          I hauled my C-10 to Virginia/DC for COG National, and back to Houston in my Chevy Avalanche.  EZ!!
          On another trip, {COG National in Montrose Colorado} I and 2 friends used a Dodge Truck (with a C-10 in the back) and
              drug a trailer with 2 more C-10's...  On that trip we drove 22 hrs straight. We had no problems whatsoever...

NOTE: I do add 5 lbs or so to the tire pressure before a big load, and I am more careful..
          But 500 lbs should be no problem in any 1500 series truck...

Ride safe, Ted   O:-)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 12:45:44 am »
my Seirra is a 1500 series... it's a heavy duty truck, by todays standards, it has 16" rims, and heavy tires (and heavy tire cost) to boot..big bed... when I have 500#+ in the bed, in the front of the bed, dispersed rearward.. so all the weight is over, or in front of the rear axle... my leaf springs are straight and flat.

extracabs, like my Sonoma, have the rear cab wall moved backwards, so there is no front weight advantage. and same 'frame as a non extended cab..."

YMMV

I do remember tossing 560# of scrap metal, to take it to a recycler, in my 90 Mazda B2600i 4x4, which I had replaced the rear leaf springs on (both had cracked from hauling firewood), and I had custom springs made in a custom stack, using 'inch' equivalent stock, with added leaves... it was a robust and stiff truck for certain, and that machine would haul mega weight easily... but... when we were going to the recycler, I hit a pretty good 'bump', and my pal and I were pooping our pants because the front wheels were )seemed to be ANYWAYS) off the ground for a couple seconds... wild ride for sure.. loved that truck tho...  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:56:28 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 11:56:45 am »
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Maybe others will chime in with their thought's on hauling a Connie in the back while trailering.

kkja13 still hasn't said anything about the weight of his travel trailer?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 03:36:09 pm »
Sorry guys I've been out if pocket.
Great discussion, which is what I was looking for.   Pros and cons and stuff to think about.

Trailer is about 7k loaded.  Most crew cab short bed trucks that I'm looking at are rated around 9k.  I've towed the trailer on a lot of trips where I'm quite sure that I had in excess of 700lbs in the bed between camping stuff and firewood.  I never was much worried about the weight as much as whether or not it would fit. 

I like the ideas for rigging up and extension and leaving the tailgate off.

The trip in question is only about 2 hours, one way on interstate.  Will see how it turns out, I haven't bought the truck yet.  Ideally an F150 with the 6.5 foot bed would be perfect, but they are hard to come by because the 5.5 is more common in the crew cab.
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 02:36:47 pm »
There appears to be (based on looking at pickups on the interstate) a big difference between regular street trucks and off-road models.  Some are likely aftermarket lift kits but the OEMs tend to mimic the aftermarket with special models.  The height and squishy-ness of the suspension has got to affect towing stability along with the wheelbase and weight of the truck.
1987 Concours

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 01:23:40 pm »
In the winter my 2002 F250 super duty carries a 900 lb sander empty, and can hold upwards of 2000 lbs of wet sand. Without a 900 lb V-plow on the front, the truck handles very wonky with the back end loaded down.

The sander when empty, is light enough that you don't even realize it's back there, even at 900#. Also didn't notice the weight of a Connie back there, when I bought the truck and picked it up with the bike. But loading a bike into the back of a tall pick-up is scary, unloading even more, so I would trailer whenever possible.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 02:18:22 pm »
If I wanted no more than a 1/2 ton to pull a camp trailer and take my Connie along I would go with a small gooseneck toy hauler. You would have to be careful in shopping for both truck and trailer making sure the GVW of either the truck or trailer is not exceeded by each other the bike and load of everything you choose to bring with you. Personally I would never try it with a bumper pull and a 1/2 ton nor would I want to load and unload a Connie in the bed of a pickup truck,  just asking for a Connie droppers award and possible injury.

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 04:30:45 pm »
My 2 cents is that if you're going to haul a 7k trailer and another 1k bike, pony up and buy a 3/4 ton 2500 series. I recently moved from a 1/2 ton Toyota to a 3/4 ton Chevy and it's so much more confident in hauling.

Just because specs say you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Especially with any sort of regularity.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 11:28:10 am »
I just trailered a Concours 400 miles. I used a 9' X 5' U Haul utility trailer. I could have squeezed it onto a 8 foot long trailer, but absolutely nothing shorter. I was nervous as a long tailed tomcat in a room full of rocking chairs about loading up the bike with the ramp of the low trailer. I could not imagine trying to load the bike onto the bed of a truck. That would be scary trying to get it up a steep ramp. U Haul has a actual motorcycle trailer with wheel chock etc. available if you don't plan to rent one way like I did (not available in all markets).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:32:18 am by batboy »

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 11:58:48 am »
I've even hauled one in the back of my Chevy Avalanche.
   (That definitely took some planning, but it supported and hauled the bike easily.)

If you have a ramp and friends it's relatively simple to get the bike in the back of any truck.
I agree a 3/4 ton would be better to haul a bike "and" a 7K Trailer.
  {Loading the bike in a 3/4 ton tuck bed would be a bit rougher due to the extra height but do-able}.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:25:56 am by connie_rider »

Offline Richie

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »
I fit TWO C10s in my Silverado 1500 short bed with tool boxes mounted on the sides, so it was just under 4 ft across. I put one facing forwards and one backwards by dropping them in with a bobcat and some chains. Boy they were a sumbitch to get out of there though... didn’t have the option to lift them. The front/rear tires of the two were sitting right on the edge of the tailgate.

Those mudflaps were just about dragging...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:18:36 pm by Richie »