Author Topic: C10 left me on the side of the road, but redeemed herself.....  (Read 329 times)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
So I've been away for a few weeks. The connie left me on the side of the road, and I spited her for it. It was nothing major, and much to no surprise - nothing mechanical. The throttle cable snapped on my ride home from work at rush hour on highway 65. It was not great.

So I think to myself, I have insurance, mo-tow, and GWRRA towing.....someone will come save me?? RIGHT?! Nope. AMA disappointed.... their provider would take 90 minutes, and would only take me 2 miles (I have a 30 mile benefit). Or, I wait 3 hours, and then they would take me home (26 miles). And if they DID take me that 2 miles, that would have been considered ONE of my TWO benefits in a year. I didn't bother calling the others...I'm sure I would have gotten the same response, I'm sure they all use ZORE's towing here in Indy. Anyhow, it dawned on my that I'm riding a motorcycle that was designed in the stone ages. I still have a choke! So, carefully, I limped it home nearly 30 miles on choke, and engine idle speed. Max speed was 55 mph.

So I ordered new cables from murph, but just let it sit for a minute because I was being spiteful. Also, and a more reasonable excuse, I kept spraying more and more cable lube into the new cables to ensure smooth action. Took several days. Last week I finally got in and pulled everything out. The carb is SO much easier to manage when the throttle cables are disconnected. I HIGHLY recommend disassembling the grip if you have any carb work to do. 10000% easier to manage. What I found interesting is that the cable broke down on the button of the "go" cable. So, it wasn't like there was a problem or damage inside the jacket. And there was nothing I could do to get me running right from the side of the road.

Anyhow, new cables in, new oil change for the season, and she's happy again. I was just highly disappointed in the AMA "benefit" that I was supposed to have. Thankfully it wasn't raining or something worse had happened. Glad I didn't pay for AMA this year.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: C10 left me on the side of the road, but redeemed herself.....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 03:29:05 pm »
Man, you are not as mad as I would have been. You took it all in stride.

I need to lube my throttle cables this summer. I don't think they have ever been lubed. Can someone tell me how exactly I can do that with minimal disassembly?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:24:34 pm by DC Concours »

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 03:47:05 pm »
Yeah, not much I could do about it. I did pull the tank, and see if there was anything I could do. Shocker, there wasn't. I only ride to work when I DONT have my son, so I wasnt under a deadline or anything. Just cut into my post-workday nap.  :)
Current Bikes:

Offline Pat and Sher in MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7670
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:17:12 pm »
Nice that you were able to use the choke to get her home. I believe someone posted about using the close cable by disconnecting it from
the close side and using as the open cable. you would need to exercise caution as you now no longer have a positive closing cable.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:27:15 pm by Pat and Sher in MA, Reason: spelling »
Pat & Sher in Ma.  04 C10 Dark Angel,  87 Ninja 600RX,  85 GPz 750 Turbo, 79 KZ1300 (x2)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »
Man, you are not as mad as I would have been. You took it all in stride.

I need to lube my throttle cables this summer. I don't think they have ever been lubed. Can someone tell me how exactly I can do that with minimal disassembly?

I used the liquid wrench cable and chain lube. It's made with teflon so it leaves a very slick film which is obviously good for cables. There is a cable lube tool, though I've never used one before. In your case, with minimal work, I would disassemble the control end, lift up the cables as straight and high as possible and just squirt some in the jackets. Do it over a few days, but you'd want to be careful not to overdo it since it would drip right by the carbs.

Some folks use motor oil, some folks use this or that....I like this liquid wrench cable lube for now. Works well it seems, and we'll see how it holds up.
Current Bikes:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
most common replacement cables are Motion Pro, and those actually have a teflon liner, which really needs no lube, worst case scenario is simply hanging them up and "flushing" any grit from the sleeve/cable with a light high flash point solvent ( kerosene, or even WD-40, or... really thin lube... but lube makes dust stick in there again..)
the easist way to "flush" these, is take a ziploc bag, poke a small hole in the corner, slip the cable and sleeve thru the hole, and use rubber bands to completely seal the baggie to the sleeve, now you have a nice "reservoir" that can be filled with the solvent of choice, and hung up to drain thru the sleeve of the cable. Very cheap and easy. I don't recommend using any volatile, solvents for this, as they attack the nice coating these cable sleeves have inside, which is good for many years of use.
Most always, these cables break at the "bullet" end, where the cable is exposed, from wear at the attachment point to the carbs, not much can be done about that as it's a built in wear pount, but, a little "de-burring" on those yokes with a dremel and abrasive bit, to smooth them out helps prolong the cable ends life.
If you buy new cables, and carry them as spares, even going so far as to run them alongside the current operating cables and taping them in place for future surprise swaps... you will never have another cable break on you...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I know, btdt, they only break when you don't have a spare... and are 500 miles from home...(where my return cable popped...)...

kinda like honking your horn when you cross railroad tracks, you never get hit by a train, until the time you don't honk. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:13:04 pm »

MOB is correct!! :-\  You got a spare you are as good as gold!! :motonoises: :motonoises:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:16:23 am »
Nope, I had a spare and broke the pull cable. It broke at the bullet end at the carb end. Purchased another spare and keep it with me. You should of seen my riding buddies face drop when I told him what had happened and that I had a spare with me, thanks COG.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:19:26 am »
How easy was it to install on the road?

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:42 pm »
If I were on a longer ride, I would take the time to do it. If you think about it, once the tank is off, there aren't really too many tools needed for the job. Really just a phillips screwdriver for the carb boots, a 10mm wrench, and a pick for the airbox boots. That's really about it. I didn't even need any forceps or pliers to get the bullet in the hole on the carbs. When they are disconnected, it's so super easy to work on. I wouldnt do it on the side of a road though. I would limp to a gas station or driveway before I got that far into it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:55:24 pm by Derick »
Current Bikes:

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »
Not too easy/hard for a first timer. What took the longest was figuring I didn't have the right tool for the job, I didn't have long forceps or needle nose plier to get the cable end attached at the carbs but I happened to break down right in front of an electrical supply house and they lent me a long forceps.

Now this was before I ever had taken the carbs out and had trouble figuring out how to get that end in the carb throttle bracket, finally figured that I had to move the throttle on the carbs to open to get that bugger in there. The actual throttle grip end gave me a little trouble but not much to get it straightened out.

Took me about 2+ hours from removing the side plastics and tank to getting it buttoned back up, not too bad. At home, now with the Bergmens gas tank quick release, Murphs side panel hand screws and the right tools probably a good 1/2 hour to 45 min job.
I wouldn't pull the carbs to do this job, but it is a possibility, but why throw more things to go wrong in the mix. With the right tools no need to.

It was St Patrick's day and unusually warm, upper 70's with no shade to be found. I was about 5 miles from work on lunch hour and 20 miles from home.
A friend of mine that is also Irish, took a half day from work to ride, called me while I was repairing it and came on down to watch me finish and we went for a ride afterwards, once I called work and explained what had happened, that is.
Both, my friend and my boss were amazed that I had spare throttle cables on board.
Thanks again COG.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 02:34:14 pm »
Not too easy/hard for a first timer. What took the longest was figuring I didn't have the right tool for the job, I didn't have long forceps or needle nose plier to get the cable end attached at the carbs but I happened to break down right in front of an electrical supply house and they lent me a long forceps.

Now this was before I ever had taken the carbs out and had trouble figuring out how to get that end in the carb throttle bracket, finally figured that I had to move the throttle on the carbs to open to get that bugger in there. The actual throttle grip end gave me a little trouble but not much to get it straightened out.

Took me about 2+ hours from removing the side plastics and tank to getting it buttoned back up, not too bad. At home, now with the Bergmens gas tank quick release, Murphs side panel hand screws and the right tools probably a good 1/2 hour to 45 min job.
I wouldn't pull the carbs to do this job, but it is a possibility, but why throw more things to go wrong in the mix. With the right tools no need to.

It was St Patrick's day and unusually warm, upper 70's with no shade to be found. I was about 5 miles from work on lunch hour and 20 miles from home.
A friend of mine that is also Irish, took a half day from work to ride, called me while I was repairing it and came on down to watch me finish and we went for a ride afterwards, once I called work and explained what had happened, that is.
Both, my friend and my boss were amazed that I had spare throttle cables on board.
Thanks again COG.

2 hours, first time, aint bad in the slightest. I think it took me an hour start to finish to replace the cables. I pulled and replaced the carb before for steves' service so I was mildly familiar. If you take off the throttle assembly, and pull the cables towards the carbs, you dont need forceps. 2 minutes of patience, and I was able to manipulate the cable with my fingers alone to get the barrel into the assembly. I was very happy about that. 
Current Bikes:

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 03:18:32 pm »
I watched my son do both cables on his without pulling the carbs.  It can be done.  It didn't take and hour IIRC.

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 03:51:28 pm »
I watched my son do both cables on his without pulling the carbs.  It can be done.  It didn't take and hour IIRC.

:-\ I want a video on this. He would be a concours owner sensation.
Current Bikes:

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 04:57:57 pm »
i replaced mine as well on the bike. hemostats and curved nose pliers are your friend.