Author Topic: C10 lost drive shifting to 4th, now no drive in any gear  (Read 240 times)

Offline JMF

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12589
  • Membership Level: Active
C10 lost drive shifting to 4th, now no drive in any gear
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
My friends 1998 C10 quit putting power to the wheel on 3rd to 4th shift. It seems to shift thru the gears fine and made noise from drive shaft like the splined sleeve at final drive may have stripped. The final drive, shaft, and sleeve are fine. We pulled the front bevel gear drive and found nothing wrong. The clutch had never slipped before but we pulled it to check. Nothing is broken, the clutches still have groves and the metals aren't discolored like it had been slipping. You could feel some resistance and the slight noise at driveshaft/final drive with clutch out in first, clutch in noise gone. Wandered if anyone ever had a similar issue. I don't think I could be missing anything on what we have apart. Thanks for any input.

Offline JMF

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12589
Re: C10 lost drive shifting to 4th, now no drive in any gear
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:30:40 pm »
 :'( I feel stupid. It dawned on me I never looked at the wheel. I pulled it and out set it aside expecting a drive shaft problem. The splines in the wheel are stripped. At least I know whats wrong and can put it back together. Maybe I got to make someone laugh.

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:51 pm »
I was searching for a post for you to read but you already answered your own question as I was doing it....here is the post anyways http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/trouble-with-tranny-err-final-drive/
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:44:26 pm »
Yeah, that plate in the wheel is the softer of the two materials in the spline drive.  It is the sacrificial part and easily replaceable if you can find another one. 
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:51:26 am »
  Good time to remind that EVERYTIME you pull the rear wheel use a good MOLY grease on the wheel splines. Over 115,000 miles and splines still look good. Look on Amazon. I found this but there are others. Might also try a local auto parts dealer for a 60% moly paste.

https://www.amazon.com/Corning-Molykote-Lubricant-Silicone-Container/dp/B00B3UUFR4/ref=pd_day0_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B3UUFR4&pd_rd_r=GWC9E7PR3YFP6PVWFPRF&pd_rd_w=TaWpG&pd_rd_wg=nWyft&psc=1&refRID=GWC9E7PR3YFP6PVWFPRF#Ask
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 02:26:25 am »
The Honda M77 Assembly Paste is the standard moly spline grease. Got some from the local dealer for the same as the Amazon price. The little tube will last me years.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 10:07:07 am »
Loctite 234227 LOC51048 Moly Paste Anti-Seize Compound  65% Moly

On Amazon you can get 8 oz. for ~$32 w/free shipping.