Author Topic: Still looking for antilock brakes for my C10  (Read 187 times)

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
  • Downshift downshift downshift upshift upshift upsh
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
  • Membership Level: Active
Still looking for antilock brakes for my C10
« on: July 31, 2020, 08:00:40 pm »
The nearest motorcycle salvage to me, Hayward Cycle salvage, when I called by phone, did not have a C14 with antilock brakes for salvage.

But the good news is, the shop is open at least some days.

The question I have for you is: Do you have any knowledge of other make or model of motorcycle that might have antilock brake parts with the same mounting dimensions as the C14? Do Kawasaki brake parts closely track another Japanese make, like Yamaha maybe?

Offline Freddy

• Street Cruiser
  • West Aus
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Still looking for antilock brakes for my C10
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:52 pm »
Triumph 1050 Sprint and Tiger of the same era have the same ABS unit/system, tho I'm not sure if the wheel rings have the same hole count as the 2008/09 Kaw ZG & EuropeanZZR/ZX 1400 (which is 60front & 50rear, tho they probly do) so you'd need to get them also.  The tyre sizes are effectively the same.

The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Lee

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:07 am »
Been watching Ebay since Freddy got me turned on to the ABS C10 idea. So far all the "type 1" early C14 ABS parts have been in short supply there. Numerous late "type 2" parts however over past few months. But those have interconnect front and rear as well as traction control. This would require ECU complication appears.

Was wondering about how to broaden parts search as well.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
Ok, my confusion.    :-[

As I understand Antilock brakes, the wheel speeds are monitored by the ECU (or a computer in the brake system) and braking is decreased (to the slower rotating wheel) if the 2 speeds vary.

So (without a ECU) how can you install antilock brakes on a C-10??

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:52:59 pm »
Good luck keep us posted on your progress.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »
I'm sure my comment isn't original but I feel the need to ask. Why would this be a project you want to pursue? Seems to me that the most critical system on our bikes is the brake system and experimenting with abs, much less relying on it, makes little sense when a good used c14 is a few grand.  :017:

Offline Freddy

• Street Cruiser
  • West Aus
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 10:50:45 pm »
So (without a ECU) how can you install antilock brakes on a C-10??  said Ted.  Answer - you can't.

As Lee alluded to, I successfully fitted ABS to my 1000GTR (C10) a few years ago, just to see if it could be done.  The parts came from a 2008 European ZZR1400 - they came with ABS and it's the same system used on the early C14.  I have a 2009 1400GTR (C14).  I had a 2008 model from new but that got written off in an oil slip about 5 years ago.  I did a write-up on the mod at the time, which is linked to one or other of my earlier posts on this forum.  I still have the 1000GTR and the ABS system functions as it should.
 :beerchug:
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Lee

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 02:51:11 am »
Surely makes a lot of sense when one cares little about a good used c14 for any amount of grands. Preferring a low tech C10 without FOBs and ECU potential derangements when all does not work as should. The C10 is infinitely repairable and recyclable as many here do note. At very little cost to boot. The minor expense of the C14 is not the only expense for that unit. Yes a better bike for some but not all.

As to ABS. It is just a system. A system oft debated as to it's usefulness on a motorcycle. As Freddy has pioneered the process for a C10, I for one am most interested. If I can obtain the parts necessary, will certainly give such a whirl. Much for his same reasons.  I have never lost control braking, I have lost motorcycles for other reasons though. But the idea of shorter breaking distances is still most enticing for sure.

This C10 is probably the last motorcycle I will own at 66 years. If wings and/or jets will take the two of us a little further down the road. That till one of us can no longer go. Might would try that too. Ha! But I would fly an airplane I built from scratch too.