Author Topic: C10/gtr1000 front end swap?  (Read 309 times)

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
C10/gtr1000 front end swap?
« on: July 21, 2018, 12:48:39 am »
Hi, has anyone fitted an entire 'front end' from another bike, to a1994 A9 gtr?
I'm thinking about such bikes as ZZR1100, or even later versions, to get the better fork response and brakes, plus a decent 17" tyre. My bike is the 94 on model, with twin piston calipers, I'm thinking of ways to improve the brakes and handling...anyone tried a 17" front end?
 Thanks, Mike from Manchester 😁

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: C10/gtr1000 front end swap?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:39:49 am »
Something like this?

This is in the other bike section because it's my son's C10.  This is a project that has been going on for too long.  Both of us have worked on this.  It has been off the road for a few years for upgrade work.  It has :ZX9 forks, brakes and front wheel.  Tapered roller steering head bearings.  1 inch bars that taper to 7/8 inch at the grips with pro taper risers.  Spiegler front brake lines and clutch line.  Barnett custom length throttle cables.  A meanstreak rear wheel.  A Corbin seat for the moment.  Madstad windshield off of my 05, while it's down for a fairing replacement.  The headlight was damaged when he got it so it was replaced with a good one that also had the protector installed.  I repaired 2 broken tabs on the upper fairing and fixed a broken tab on one of the turn signals.  It has not one, but two cup holders in holes the previous owner cut for speakers.  The oil and filter have been changed.  The final drive oil has been changed.  The coolant has been changed as well as a good scrubbing of the coolant recovery tank.  The valves have been adjusted as well as a new valve cover gasket.  The tires are Pirelli Angel GT's.  The fuel in the tank was dumped and replaced with fresh gas.  The petcock was also replaced with a brand new one. 

My first comment is that the wheel, tire and fork upgrades have transformed the feel of the bike completely.  It handles a lot better than before and deals with bumps better.  I'm amazed that the carbs managed to take that much sitting and come back to life running great!  I attribute that to running 2 stroke mix from a test tank from time to time.  First start, it fired right up with the enricher.  After a bit of running and coaxing, the high speed jets cleared and it runs like a top!  I really feel like we were lucky to have dodged the "plugged up carbs" bullet.

For a 1987 (same age as my son Bud) with 100,247 miles, I think it's a pretty nice bike.  My hope is that he keeps it FOREVER!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:42:58 am »
ZRX1200 front ends have also been swapped in.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline esmoojee

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:57:30 pm »
I put a 2000 Yamaha R1 front end on my C10. I had a custom stem made and I pressed it in myself. I have a shop press. I will say, it dropped the front end down a couple of inches. I’m not really a fan, especially riding with a backpack so i’m going back to stock forks with sonic springs, 15wt oil, a brace and a 17” ZX6D rim.