Author Topic: Carb/Petcock probelms  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Tommyhof

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6517
  • Membership Level: Active
Carb/Petcock probelms
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »
Went on a 300 mile freezing ride with Roger123  today, strong gas smell during the ride got home and gas is dripping out of the airbox, a continuous drip. I have recently had popping on decel, Roger123 and I did the seafoam directly into the carbs last week. Bike was running fine two weeks ago, but now is acting up. Sticking  float? MOB where are you. Just checked it's still dripping coming from Nr 1 carb clutch side.    Update:  tried the flush thing gas continuously pours out, does not stop, on run, reserve and prime, bad petcock, It's really cold out so I'm doing 5 minute stints outside, I assume if I remove the gas feed from the petcock and gas is coming out that the petcock is bad.    Update 2:  Bad Bad petcock, took the gas feed line off the petcock and gas is pouring out. So too find a new petcock, or get a rebuild kit, any suggestions    Virginia Beach, VA  COG 6517  03 Concours (9/11/04)  01 Concours (8/16/08)  USN Retired  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:51:00 pm by Tommyhof »
Virginia Beach, VA 
COG 6517 
14 VStrom 1K
USN Retired

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:24:00 am »
www.murpskits.com    Murph has rebuild kits or complete new OEM units.  Don't cost that much.  Very easy to do either one.   Pull tank, drain it, install new parts, reinstall, refill go ride.  Another option is to also get a Bergmen Engineering manual petcock kit and convert it over to manual operation. (You still need to fix it so it doesn;t leak.) I did a couple years ago and I like it.  Some don't.  You just have to rememeber to turn it OFF when parking and ON when riding.  But it eliminates the vacuum activation part of the valve and will prevent hydrolock in case you get a leaking carb float valve, which is what you have.  You would not get fuel coming out the airbox if one or more float valves weren't leaking.  You still need to address that issue separate fom the petcock.  
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Tommyhof

• Scooter
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:31:00 am »
Thanks Nosmo, I just ordered a Petcock and spark plugs/wire kit from our man Murph. I'll get my A & B mech's over to fix it while I drink beer. Yea Paul I guess I'll get that rebuild kit from you, also bring beer so me and Roger123 (A Mech) have something to drink while your fixing the bike........ Best to spend $73 on a new petcock vice spending money on a used or rebuild kit. Merry Christmas all.              Virginia Beach, VA  COG 6517  03 Concours (9/11/04)  01 Concours (8/16/08)  USN Retired  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:32:00 am by Tommyhof »
Virginia Beach, VA 
COG 6517 
14 VStrom 1K
USN Retired

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
  • COG#: 5903
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:37:00 am »
I recommend you check your insurance coverage and start smoking again.    At least your fairing didn't fall off on the dirt roads.    Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:38:00 am by Roger 123 »
Roger '14 Tenere ES, COG 5903, VA Beach, VA

Offline Tommyhof

• Scooter
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
The fairing as you noticed, is held on by big white industrial zip ties, it aint going no where.    Virginia Beach, VA  COG 6517  03 Concours (9/11/04)  01 Concours (8/16/08)  USN Retired
Virginia Beach, VA 
COG 6517 
14 VStrom 1K
USN Retired

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »
Thomas;    You have more than one issue there me-ol-fruit.  (Cockney sorry ;-)    You also have a sticking/leaking float valve too, that needs fixing asap.  As it is now your scoot is a prime target for a hydro-lock if the gas that poring into your air cleaner box goes the other way (into the engine) it will lock up #1, 2 or 3 pistons as gas does not compress well! This will result in a bent con-rod and a costly engine re-build.    Likely you have crud in your tank, take a good look with a flashlight and if it is rusty POR15 the tank to seal the rust.     For the sticking/leaking floats Murph also sells a set of 4 for a good price. I just ordered mine for my 99. While you have the carb rack out, remove the slow running jets, clean them and set them all at 2 turns out. From the factory they tend to be set way too lean.    Also I recommend Steve's jet kit. If you do all that your scoot will be "good to go" for many years on the fuel site at least! :)    Merry Christmas    Colin  Colin Prior  Cogmos Committee Chairman  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »
Agree, it takes two to leak into the air box.  Petcock and float valves.  Fix it easy or fix it right, sorry.    Is is just me or is the number of failing fuel systems way up lately.  Is it that all the C10s are getting old or the use of new gas formulas?   ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Tommyhof

• Scooter
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »
I plan on changing the petcock and rebuilding the carbs, with help from my two buds. Ordered the parts today, and Murph has them on the way all ready, No big rush, I am fortunate and have two connies, this one has 73k miles and it was basically given too me ( a good home). I have put about 1500 miles on her and it seemed to run fine, that is until about a week or so ago. Anyway will keep yous posted. I'll probably remove the carbs over the holidays and then take over to Rogers so he and Paul can have a look at them.  think I;    Virginia Beach, VA  COG 6517  03 Concours (9/11/04)  01 Concours (8/16/08)  USN Retired
Virginia Beach, VA 
COG 6517 
14 VStrom 1K
USN Retired

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:07:00 am »
Call STATE FARM then light it on FIRE!!!!!!!    You got nervous when we pulled the fork to weld the fairing bracket, I can't wait to see you pull the carbs!!!!!!    I want a front row seat for this one!!!!!  Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

Is is just me or is the number of failing fuel systems way up lately.  
   It is a good question.    Petcocks and float valves do like us humans age over time. The rubber stiffens like out joints :) but not other parts!  :blush:    Also any debris in the tank like rust particles will wind their way past the sock filter and can cause issues with the float valves. Its probable too that the springs loose their "spring" too!    There was a good report showing how the filter sock seal gets distorted allowing unfiltered gas to enter the petcock.     I'll try and type up some pages at some point on all the issues with leaking carbs and add them to the tech library. Unless their is a volunteer out there?    It is possible that the new gas formulas are ans issue too, but that's way outside my knowledge!    CP      Colin Prior  Cogmos Committee Chairman  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline rneal55555_NH

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 7889
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
If you don't already have one I'd install one while it's apart.    
Russ Neal  Milton, NH  Originally from Willsboro, NY  04 Connie  99 Yamaha Venture  IBA # 32003  Venturers.org # 1774

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »
I'll post a pic tomorrow of what was drained out of Tommy Boy's carb bowls, NOT pretty!!!    He accused of me of not cleaning out the coffee can prior to draining!!!!!  NOT  Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »
There is no question that some of these carb and petcock issues start in the tank.  Here are some of the things that might help.  If your tank is already bad then clean and seal it.    If clean now these things may help.    Keep tank full between rides!!    If you can keep the bike in a temperature stable low moisture environment do it.    If it sits outside a lot either clean the tank out often or use a water remover.    Use of something like Marval Mystery Oil may help coat the raw steel and make passages and rubbers happier.    Ride the bike... nothing hurts the entire fuel system more then sitting for weeks.    If it does have to sit, use a fuel stabl.  I would not use both Marval and Sabil.  I think they have some of the same properties so no need.    While it sits the bowls can evaporate.  That leaves nasty varnish in them.  I turn the petcock to prime every week or so to keep them full.  I am not a fan of draining them though.  Other bad things happen then.    Starting the bike and letting it run is better for the carbs but short starts like this are not that good for the tank.  It sucks in moisture as it cools.    Anyone got more?  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Paulie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4561
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
Stretch the petcock spring. Mines still orig FWIW.    For the floats:  add a filter  r/r the line  carry tools to drain on the road  keep tanky full  01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh  Over the Pond 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd  

Offline rneal55555_NH

• Bicycle
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

If you don't already have one I'd install one while it's apart.  
   Not sure what I did but I was trying to say     If you don't already have an in line fuel filter, I'd install one while it's apart.  
Russ Neal  Milton, NH  Originally from Willsboro, NY  04 Connie  99 Yamaha Venture  IBA # 32003  Venturers.org # 1774

Offline Tommyhof

• Scooter
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »
Have not rode tested yet, but it appears to be running OK now, Paul (Dawg) came over, we pulled the carbs, I took the bowls off and doused everything with a can of carb cleaner (while Paul was performing a Valve Adj) and was ready to reinstall, but Paul called foul, I had to call my son,  he had a Ninja 750 and cleaned the carbs on that a few times, so we figured that was enough experience, and he did a sweet job, she sounded real good, only problem now is the thottle return is really tight and not returning with out help, I might have to call the Roger123 for this. My son is a fair mechanic (was an Electronics Tech in the Navy) becuase he sure did not get and of these skills from me. What did I do while Paul was doing the valves and my Son the carbs..............gofered, and smoked cigars...............Life is Good, especially being a Cogger.   Yea I did buy a fuel filter, but in our haste to see if she would run, we neglected to install it, I'll get around to that soon.  Virginia Beach, VA  COG 6517  03 Concours (9/11/04)  01 Concours (8/16/08)  USN Retired
Virginia Beach, VA 
COG 6517 
14 VStrom 1K
USN Retired

Offline dawgwhat

• Tricycle
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »
Let roger123 do the hard job of fixing the throttle cables  ;)  
Paul King  COG 7578  CDA 0124

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 12:43:00 am »
Let roger123 do the hard job of fixing the throttle cables
   Roger123 sold his Connie for a reason!!!!  New bike = NO CARBS!!!!!!!!!    I am sorry I missed that show though, I'm sure it was quite entertaining!!    Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:45:00 am by Roger 123 »

Offline rneal55555_NH

• Bicycle
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 01:06:00 am »
 Let roger123 do the hard job of fixing the throttle cables  
   Somehow it never seems to be as hard when its not your bike    Russ Neal  North Stonington, Ct  Originally from Willsboro, NY  04 Connie  99 Yamaha Venture  IBA # 32003  Venturers.org # 1774  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:06:00 am by rneal55555 »

Offline Tommyhof

• Scooter
Carb/Petcock probelms
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:15:00 pm »
I rode it to work, kinda cool like cheap cruise control It does go back but real slow  Virginia Beach, VA  COG 6517  03 Concours (9/11/04)  01 Concours (8/16/08)  USN Retired
Virginia Beach, VA 
COG 6517 
14 VStrom 1K
USN Retired