Author Topic: carburetor gunked up  (Read 641 times)

Offline cybercopdan

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
carburetor gunked up
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:44:01 am »
Good day all.
I am interested in the collective's brain trust opinion on my following issue.
My 2006 Concours with 74K developed a miss. I have kept it maintained well over the years and no major engine issues. I took it to the dealership where I have had it in the past and trust them. Their tech found the carburetors were all gunked up and even wondered how they were getting fuel. So they are going to repair them. I asked what would have caused this and the manager thought it could be fuel. They at first were wondering if I had it sitting all winter. No I ride it all year long except for extreme cold or snow obviously. I know fuel can cause problems however do you all think that would have been the cause? If so what kind of fuel should I be putting in it in the future to avoid the contamination buildup. I have been fueling up at one particular station for the last few years with no problems (naturally this issue would take time). Less expensive, lowest octaine and 10% Ethanol.  If you agree fuel is the culprit what type of fuel do you recommend for me in the future.
Thank you all for your knowledge and input!
Dan
Riding a 2006, now with 74K on it now

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: carburetor gunked up
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
If the gunk was a powdery white substance in the float bowls, it's electrolysis. This electrolysis would be cause from a reaction between aluminum's and pot Metals in the system and ethanol in the fuel that they use for oxygenation. If you can get pure non-oxygenated fuel in your area that's what I would do. Unfortunately EPA laws in many areas require it to be used in all gasoline to be used as Highway Fuel. The pier non-oxygenated fuel is available at a station near me unfortunately you have to buy it in cans because it is illegal to put it in a vehicle used up on the highways here in my state.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:46:15 am »
If you can get "real gas" without ethanol, it would help.  The carbs are vented so fuel inside will evaporate to a degree.  When the fuel evaporates inside the carb, you will get a "skin" of sorts from what's left that will create problems.  There are additives that are designed to deal with ethanol problems.  Startron makes one.  I have used Lucas in the past.  Our carb guy Steve Sefsick has recommended putting a little TCW-3 aka 2 stroke oil (a few ounces in a tank) if a bike is going to do much sitting.  The oil helps to prevent the "skinning" effect when the fuel evaporates.  I ride all year long as well, but have my moments of Connie sitting while I ride something else.  Doesn't seem to take long for fuel evaporate and begin the process of "gunking up" the carbs.....just a little at a time.  The tank should also be pulled and swabbed out to get every bit of crap that builds up in there.  Clean carbs and a dirty tank mean that those clean carbs won't be clean for the long haul.  As for carb work, if I were going to pay someone to service the carbs, the consensus is that Steve is the premier carb guy for the C10.  He has done over 500 sets of carbs and can also install overflow tubes like lots of other bikes have from the factory, to prevent the dreaded hydrolock.  Guys rave about his carb work among other things.  Check out his website.  https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/products-and-pricing

Hope that helps!

Offline Steve Mahoney

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9794
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:48:37 am »
Dan,
       I've owned my C-10 for 30 years,and live in the Northeast. The vast majority of $$$$ I've spent on my bike in that time was for carb cleaning. It's a fact of life when you run a carbureted  bike with ethanol fuel and winter storage. You can fight back by using non-ethanol fuel, ( not a real option in MA, $$ ) Using Stabil or 2-stroke oil additives, ( Forum search ) and draining the carbs during any off season storage. If your shop hasn't started on your carbs yet I STRONGLY SUGGEST you send them to Steve Sefsick of Shodabeen engineering instead.Good luck.

STEVE MAHONEY

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:20:06 pm »
Yes Steve and he is probably cheaper.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:48:27 pm »
By sending them to Steve, besides better performance than a shop has the knowledge to do for the C10 bike for the price you also get the benefit of overflow tubes to prevent a hydrolock occurrence.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 02:25:07 pm »
   Watch videos from this site.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

Steve has done over 500 sets of carbs including mine. They performed "better!" than new.  Also use an ounce or two of 2 stroke oil per tank full. Helps keep the carbs from plugging up from the ethanol.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-2-Cycle-Oil-1-Gallon/16795065
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:44:57 pm »
My take on this, and answering your initial question, is your bike is 11 years old, and id wager the tank itself has never been removed, turned upside down, and completely drained, and cleaned ever...
This issue is the tank design, tyhose bottom corners of the tank collect and store water.. either water from crappy fuel, or simply condensation that occurs when the tank is "partially" filled, and endures hot/cold/humidity/rain, etc.

These tanks rust... and it sits in there, and when you shake them up, minute rust particles, suspended in the liquid, smaller than the petcock screen mesh, migrate into the float bowls... and sit there.... gunking up the carbs....
And every time the tank is removed, like for valve adjusts, and spark plug changes, and whatever other reason... the goobergas gets all shook up again, and continues its damaging effects...

You could pay the shop to "fix" your carbs... and 2 weeks later, be going thru this again, simply because they never clean the tank internally, and remove the crud in there...
When I stopped doing carbs for folks, one of the main reasons was people refused to dum the gastank, after I did their carbs, and told them DUMP the tank, and clean it...  and they "promised to do so... only to wait till I removed my small plastic tank used for testing and synching, and showing the bike running perfect...
A week later, id get a call about how crappy the bike is running..... redo the carbs... and dump the tank thru a coffee filter into a big gascan I brought... and said...
Yeah... right...  you dumped the tank, eh?

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:36:10 pm »
MOB really, next time I do my spark plugs I should shake the s*** out of my tank, flip it upside down and discard the gas?

Offline racer1735

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »
Easier said than done.  There is a lip around the fuel cap that will prevent you from just 'dumping out' all of the fuel.  You will still have about 3/4 gallon remaining, and it is not only a PITA to get completely empty, but that remaining fuel is what will still hold the majority of the particles that are causing the problem.
I have emptied my tank, flushed it, used rust-remover, vacuumed it out and I still have a small amount of debris in it.  I installed an in-line fuel filter and have noticed a small amount of particles (less than what I was expecting to see) and have not had ANY running issue since the installation (some have reported fuel starvation problems).

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:00:41 pm »
I think next time I will hose it out with water (a few times) and let it dry on a hot day. Then refuel.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 04:13:20 pm »
MOB is absolutely right, if you don't have the tank completely clean, all carb work will be a waste of time.

It's a PITA to get the tank completely clean inside, but there's no other way!!
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 09:27:02 pm »
I to ride all year, I run carb cleaner through the carbs every few months.  It's cheap and what do you have to loose other then carb issues.
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »
I use a big syringe and a hose to suck the gas/crud out of the corners.  I try to do this annually.
If you pull the petcock, you can get the tank to drain better...  no lip.  All in all a crap job, but worth
it.

Steve in Sunny Florida WILL set your carbs straight, and very reasonably priced for a thorough job.
My dealer's carb cleaning lasted 6 months,  Steve's work is going on 4 years of great running.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:58:05 pm by Mcfly »
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 01:44:13 am »
I use a big syringe and a hose to suck the gas/crud out of the corners.  I try to do this annually.
If you pull the petcock, you can get the tank to drain better...  no lip.  All in all a crap job, but worth
it.

Steve in Sunny Florida WILL set your carbs straight, and very reasonably priced for a thorough job.
My dealer's carb cleaning lasted 6 months,  Steve's work is going on 4 years of great running.

Yup, Steve did my carbs and they came back BETTER than new. That was over a year ago and still run GREAT!! :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 12:49:27 pm »
MOB really, next time I do my spark plugs I should shake the s*** out of my tank, flip it upside down and discard the gas?

Why wait that long? If you haven't been doing it all along... do it next ride... plan your ride so you come home with a near empty tank. Have some fresh gas in a can ready to go.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »
I to ride all year, I run carb cleaner through the carbs every few months.  It's cheap and what do you have to loose other then carb issues.

No substitute for a clean tank. And just a thought, if carb cleaner disolves sludge how does it know the difference between sludge in the tank and sludge in the carb? And where does the sludgethat came out of the tank, along with particles of rust and who-knows-what-else that was in the tank go?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics