Author Topic: Cardboard box belly pan bolt holder.  (Read 705 times)

Offline LeeM

• Tricycle
  • Maintain it for 120 drive it like I'm 70
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
  • Membership Level: Active
Cardboard box belly pan bolt holder.
« on: May 01, 2018, 04:01:31 am »
The photo shows a cardboard box with the belly pan bolts pressed through the cardboard in a pattern that matches the pan.

The photo also shows my tools color coded with 5 colors of electrical tape. Red=10 mm, Orange=11 Yellow=12 etc.

You can see the cardboard from a washing machine carton, better than concrete as a lie-down work surface.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:06:16 am by LeeM »

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
Re: Cardboard box belly pan bolt holder.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:30:58 pm »
Here's a board I use to do maintenance on my bike. I printed the image on a sheet of paper, glued the paper to a board, then drilled 6mm holes for each screw.  Helps get fasteners back in the right places.

Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:56:24 pm »
Nice! I put the wrong length screws up into the belly pan area for fairings back in the day and put two cracks in my overflow tank.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Online Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 03:34:42 am »
Nice! I put the wrong length screws up into the belly pan area for fairings back in the day and put two cracks in my overflow tank.

Yea well, like you are the only C10 owner that has EVER done that!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Cal

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12008
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:24:19 pm »
I ike it and thank you for your efforts - but you are missing 2 more screws at the lower front...

- 2 screws from leading edge of belly pan up to either side panel

- 2 screws up through belly pan into the rad fluid reservoir bracket

Cal

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 08:44:01 pm »
Why in the world they couldn't have used a single screw or atleast a couple of screw types for the plastics I will never know!
  I usually draw a sketch of each side of the fairing on cardboard and then stab the srews into their approximate position as I take them off.
I'm a product designer for a major appliance manufacturer.  If I had designed something that required so many different screw types I would have been fired long ago.  We recently had the engineering VP review our latest unit design and he asked why we couldn't use a single screw type for the whole unit.  Mind you this unit requires sheet metal screws, machine screws, and a specialty green ground screw at a minimum, but it is that important to him and to the assembly people for them to push for as few fastener types as possible.
Did Kawi do any better when they designed the C14?
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:21 pm »
I agree!  Can't understand all the different screw sizes! Must drive the assemblers nuts!

I do find this typical of Japanese design, they tend to see each connection as an entity all its own, and choose choose exactly the screw length that fits, with little to no regard for a similar one right next to it! Somehow the concept of fastener standardization is entirely lost in their process.  They also seem to me to do more brute force designs, where a large number of different parts are used instead of a single part with more thought put into the design. 

In any event, overall they seem to do good designs, but no one's perfect I guess!
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:59:22 pm »
Cal,
Are you referring to my picture?  If so can you be a bit more specific on the missing screws?  Could they be for a later model C10? This one fits the early C10's, and as far as I can tell, they're all accounted for. 

If I'm missing some, I'd like to correct it. The picture is a later C10, which is all I could find at the time, but the screw locations should be correct for the early C10. I suspect they are the same, but I'm not positive.
Thanks!
 '88 one owner:

Offline Cal

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 01:10:36 am »
well I had thought that the fairing attachments and side panels and belly pan were all the same through to the end of the C build.  only that the dash elements changed in 93?

on the belly pan towards the front there are 2 molded holes through the plastic that the screws go through and up into the coolant reservoir bracket bottom

at the leading edge of the belly pan are 2 tabs with the (whatever name nuts) that clip onto the tabs

mine is an 86,  I think they are the M6x10 size

Cal

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 01:48:04 am »
The two screws on the under side of the belly pan into the coolant reservoir are shown on my diagram on the very lower right side of the picture.  They are M6x10.  There are no other screws attaching the bottom of the belly pan on my '88, and as best I can determine from Kaw's website parts list, none are shown for the 86.  (The Kaw parts listing is not always easy to interpret!)   Are you able to take a pic of the screws on yours?  It would be interesting to see what the differences are. 

There are indeed two tabs at the very front edge of my belly pan, but on my 88 they are not used, and there are no matching holes in the fairing sides, so it wouldn't be possible to install any screws.  This is the way the bike was when new, as I'm the only owner.
 '88 one owner:

Offline Cal

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 01:18:39 pm »
"There are indeed two tabs at the very front edge of my belly pan, but on my 88 they are not used, and there are no matching holes in the fairing sides, so it wouldn't be possible to install any screws."

that is the difference then.  my left/right side panels have 2 matching holes to the slip-on nuts that are on the 2 tabs.

mine is 86 with original plastic, yours is 88 with original plastic???

just looked at the Ron Ayers KAWI OEM parts site and looked through several years - all show the belly pan with the tabs but no nuts;  all show the mid/side panels with the holes where the belly pan tabs would match; none show any screws for that location - even the 86 version.

so - must have been an early versions thing only.

thanks again for the picture.  I will be plasticising it and mounting to a board as well!

Cal

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 02:21:04 pm »
Thanks for the detective work! 
 '88 one owner:

Offline cal

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 10:58:03 pm »
Here's a board I use to do maintenance on my bike. I printed the image on a sheet of paper, glued the paper to a board, then drilled 6mm holes for each screw.  Helps get fasteners back in the right places.

Darn good idea!