Author Topic: CLACK-CLACK-CLACK dangit....  (Read 6790 times)

Offline Scattered-Smothered

• S.S.
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12196
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: CLACK-CLACK-CLACK dangit....
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »
There I something very wrong inside engine. I verified the cams and valves were correctly timed. Rechecked valve clearances made sure none of the valves had dropped. Fired it up and the sound is getting worse. Took about an hour to take the engine out. About to start taking the engine out the parts bike, then swap over the parts I've taken off it and put it in mine. It only has 59k miles and the hydrolock test was done. It has not been hydrolock. I will be using my cams from my 1987 engine for sure.
You can call me SS. Short for Scattered-Smothered and it's not because of hash browns. You will know when we meet.  Currently own a 1987 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000. Past bikes. 1972 Honda 350Four. 1984 Honda Nighthawk 750. 1980 Yamaha 650 Special. 2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2016, 10:01:24 pm »
Before you swap those engines, I highly suggest you do a compression check on the donor engine....   it might save you some time, and worry...
I personally would do that before a swap.
Its easy when its sitting on the floor....

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

• S.S.
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:21 am »
I have my engine almost out. I'm trying to figure out how to get it separated from the crankcase. I have a moving dolly under the engine and straps supporting it wrapped around the frame until I can get it separated. Thanks for the advice, I'll do it tomorrow. I have access to the compression gauges. If it fails, I'll most likely disassemble mine and see what happened and will see what needs to be done to get it going again
You can call me SS. Short for Scattered-Smothered and it's not because of hash browns. You will know when we meet.  Currently own a 1987 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000. Past bikes. 1972 Honda 350Four. 1984 Honda Nighthawk 750. 1980 Yamaha 650 Special. 2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500

• S.S.
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2016, 03:00:01 pm »
Final update. I completed the engine swap. I sure wish I had known the amount of work I was getting into doing the swap out of another motorcycle. This entailed doing a complete tear down of 2 motorcycles. You have to take out the swing arm, shock and rear tire as well as everything that goes with the engine. I did take the time to repaint everything. Engine, headers, frame swing arm. Taking care not to paint anything I shouldn't. I lubricated all points and bearings that need to be done with new moly.

Also checked and changed all rubber parts that needed to be changed. I put in brand new float needles in the carbs and reset the levels and checked with the clear tube method. Finally my carbs are cleaned and set properly with good parts. The other 2 sets of float needles had bad springs in them and the float level would not stay at the specified level causing overflowing. Got them in and all synced up.

The replacement engine from a C-10 with 56k miles on it purred when I started it up. WOW, what a difference in the engine that was in it originally. So much better. I took it on a 25 mile test ride last night, taking care not to flog it and being easy. She runs really good now. I always had a problem with the BUZZ, that is basically gone now because this engine runs so smooth compared to the other.

Thank you again for everyone's advice in helping to begin with. And also thank you to Coffee_brake for all she did to make this happen including having the donor engine.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:36 pm »
Awesome to hear it worked out well in the end. You mention buzz in the old engine and I wonder if the old engine had a problem all along and it just finally let go. Have you determined the issue with it yet?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

• S.S.
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:09 pm »
I have taken the head off the old engine yet but plan on it this week or weekend. I'll certainly let everyone know the cause of failure.

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »
I have taken the head off the old engine yet but plan on it this week or weekend. I'll certainly let everyone know the cause of failure.

Yeah I need to get S/S's old motor apart and finish parting out MY spare Connie (ahem) now that it's (scattered) all over my carport.
I want to separate the aluminum and steel from the messed-up components and get it to recycling. Hoping to recoup some of the cost of that parts bike.
I stayed out of the engine swap entirely. It just happened in my carport. I didn't do anything, I was at Mid Ohio for the AMA vintage racing.
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2016, 06:12:20 pm »

Yeah I need to get S/S's old motor apart and finish parting out MY spare Connie (ahem) now that it's (scattered) all over my carport.
I want to separate the aluminum and steel from the messed-up components and get it to recycling. Hoping to recoup some of the cost of that parts bike.
I stayed out of the engine swap entirely. It just happened in my carport. I didn't do anything, I was at Mid Ohio for the AMA vintage racing.

What?
And you didn't roll a short ride up to see us????
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  dang it anyways.... :motonoises:

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »

What?

what? you didn't go to mid-Ohio?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »

What?

what? you didn't go to mid-Ohio?

:rotflmao:
I'm so broke I can't afford to ride to the store to panhandle coins anymore... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

"Spare change?"...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

This one works best,.but still.some jerks won't pay up....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:34:16 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Charlie_Gary_AAD

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2016, 12:54:49 am »

Try to keep the tach at 8000rpm or below.  I replaced my first head at 73000 miles because I rode it like a race bike too much.
Later, 
Charlie - NWAD
COG# 8048
AMA# 603377
Re-defining the phrase "Rides like a grandpa"

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »

Try to keep the tach at 8000rpm or below.  I replaced my first head at 73000 miles because I rode it like a race bike too much.

Decent advice, and SISF has always noted that OEM cam's power peaks around 8K, and anything after that is just wasted RPM's.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2016, 02:21:49 am »
Sure glad to hear you got'e going again Devon!  Congrats on finishing another project.
I'll admit I take mine above 8k once in a while, but not by much... I still like that snarl  :motonoises:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2016, 02:55:05 pm »

Decent advice, and SISF has always noted that OEM cam's power peaks around 8K, and anything after that is just wasted RPM's.
Steve built up  my old C10 to a 1050 with ZX11 pistons and his custom grind Power Cams and a bunch of other stuff we did to it. That C10 would pull hard right to 10k and more  when I did track days with it.  I never knew the C10 had a rev limiter (or I floated the valves) somewhere around 10.5 to 11 thousand RPM- its hard to keep an eye on the tach and the track at the same time.

Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2016, 04:44:01 pm »

Stock cams peak at 8800 to 9000 rpm.  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline NoLongerTheNewGuy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11017
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2017, 11:55:33 pm »
Whatever happened to this?!

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2017, 02:09:46 am »
Best I can tell, Scattered-Smothered took the top end off my parts bike last year and put in good cams. That worked well, but the metal sludge of gasoline-tainted oil did a number on the motor's guts.
 It gave up this week and S/S is without a bike now. The motor is full of sludge and has no oil pressure under load. (Oil light comes on under acceleration).

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2017, 10:44:08 pm »
 :(

Sad to hear that.

But from what I read... didn't he swap the complete engine?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:30 pm »
No, he took the top end off my parts bike. I still have the lump.