Author Topic: Close to panic  (Read 615 times)

Offline frenche

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12332
  • Membership Level: Active
Close to panic
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:04:54 pm »
'99 C-10 runs good
'05 C-10 disassembled

I am a fairly new rider with limited C-10 experience.
Pulled into sports bar parking lot for lunch. Wanted to park in a triangle often used by bikes. I never used it before & found dips in pavement I had not seen. I wanted my bike a little farther to the left. So backing up, I had trouble with both rear & then front wheel. Got that resolved OK.
Went to leave. Unlocked helmet. Key into ignition, turned to run position, hit starter, and got nothing!
Bumped horn, it was OK. Looked into headlamp with key in run position & could not see headlamp bulb glowing at all.
Went back into sports bar & found this thread:
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/if-it's-not-the-j-box-or-fuel-or-compression-or-the-weather/msg303066/#msg303066
That thread is from 2013. I got to the part about the intermittent short in the kill switch.

-->light flashes in frenche's brain <--

Immediately went to bike.
While backing up to fight the dip in the asphalt, I had inadvertently flipped the kill switch. Put kill switch in normal position & bike started right up.

I want to take this time to thank all participants in that wonderfully informative & well written thread. It is a treasure trove of highly valuable electrical system info. I am grateful! Many thanks for your help!

frenche

Offline cal

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Close to panic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 11:04:53 pm »
Glad you got it worked out. I'm sure lots of us have done that. I know I have.  :-[

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:26 pm »
 :bravo_2: :bravo_2:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:48:56 pm »
Unknowingly hit the kill switch why going down the road and try to figure out why your bike suddenly quit running.  Last time I did it, I was on the Interstate running 80 mph on cruise trying to get home.    :))
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 01:24:46 am »
I think a LARGE per centage of us here can say........BEEN THERE DONE THAT.   :beerchug:

Use this as a learning lesson:  Always check out the terrain when parking.  Wait until you brain-fart and park this big fat pig in a tight space that has a 20 * nose-down slope and try to back it up.   Never park where you can't power it out.......ax me how I know. :(
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline JPD

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 02:21:12 am »
I carry my reverse gear on the back seat. It is too heavy and just too tall for me to back up with any slope or bad surface. You have to plan how to leave before you park.
Been there done that with the kill switch. It can be an oh crap moment. Now it will just another thing to check.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 01:43:13 pm »
I think we may have witnessed the one of the last thinking riders.
Thanks for helping yourself!
I would like to shake your hand.

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 04:23:35 pm »
I did the kill switch thing just this morning.  I guess I bumped it when I pulled in the garage last night.

It is interesting how quickly the rider's brain starts working thru all of the hard/expensive scenarios that could be causing the bike to not start, before actually looking at the switch. 
My dad always called that switch the IDIOT switch, I wonder why? :-[
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 05:45:29 pm »
I can tell when my son has been riding my bike.  He leaves it in gear and uses the kill switch. >:(

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 10:02:29 pm »
I follow Buds son's technique. Hit kill switch and leave in gear. Is there any problem using kill switch all the time? I find it easier than using the key switch.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 10:49:18 pm »
I follow Buds son's technique. Hit kill switch and leave in gear. Is there any problem using kill switch all the time? I find it easier than using the key switch.
You still have to turn the key, so why not just turn the key and leave the kill switch alone?  We went on a charity ride at the kentucky kickdown vintage bike rally in louisville a couple of weeks ago.  At one of the stops, I look over at my son's bike and the headlight is on and the bike was killed using the kill switch.  Forgot to turn the key off, which could have led to less than desirable situation.   I'm kinda opinionated in my old age! :-\ 

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 12:27:49 am »

I actually think using the kill switch is the most controlled way of shutting down the bike. If you use the key only, you have to remove one hand to actuate the key which opens you to a number of potential issues. You either have to place the bike in neutral to turn the key with the left hand or you have to take your hand from the brake to turn the key with the right. With the kill switch both hands are firmly in place and able to control the bike. Once you've flipped the kill switch you're completely clear with no concern. Sure you can make the argument that this is just an incremental measure of control but it's failsafe.

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 12:17:09 pm »
So are you killing the bike while still moving?  Why do you need the front brake, I use the rear brake to hold the bike still then use the key? 
Whatever, it's your bike, we all have our own habits.  Do what works for you.  :motonoises:
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 04:15:42 pm »
My wife was taught at MSF to use the kill switch to turn the bike off.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 07:26:22 pm »

I actually think using the kill switch is the most controlled way of shutting down the bike. If you use the key only, you have to remove one hand to actuate the key which opens you to a number of potential issues. You either have to place the bike in neutral to turn the key with the left hand or you have to take your hand from the brake to turn the key with the right. With the kill switch both hands are firmly in place and able to control the bike. Once you've flipped the kill switch you're completely clear with no concern. Sure you can make the argument that this is just an incremental measure of control but it's failsafe.

it's kinda funny, but in a way it comes full circle...

go do a search about "jump starting a C14", and you will see the reason so many owners, new ones, have had to ask how to do it.... and WHY they had to do it...

it's the Key... not being turned off... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :-[ :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:42 pm »
Parking a Concours always requires having an exit strategy *before* parking it

I got in the habit of using the kill switch to stop the engine. Not only because it's more 'hands on' like a previous poster said, but using the kill switch removes a little electrical load from the ignition switch when you turn it off. Also, it prevents those occasional HUH moments that occur when you arent in the habit of using it. BTDT at an ARC class.
 :-\

Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »
the headlight is on and the bike was killed using the kill switch

Do this once and get stranded and you won't do it again.  :-[

It's easy to get distracted when you pull up and people start talking. You take your helmet off and start talking too and pretty soon you get off the bike and forget about the ignition key and the headlights being on. Getting to the battery for a jump can be a real pain.  :)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
  • "I'm like a rain magnet"
  • COG#: 8862
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 08:03:47 pm »
Yep......   All kinds of worse case scenarios go through your head at that point
2014 BMW R1200GS
2013 HD Ultra Classic "Queen B"
AMA, COG, IBA