Author Topic: Clutch cover question following an embarrassing drop.  (Read 247 times)

Offline Kazawhaki

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch cover question following an embarrassing drop.
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:15:00 am »
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. Quick intro first, I'm here in Ireland and I have a 1995 c 10 in the wine and grey colouring with 31000 miles on the clock and I absolutely love this machine. I graduated from an Ltd 454 and most recently a zxr 750 but the comfort and handling of this bike is unrivalled. I put up 999 miles in one day and only had to get off to refuel, never got stiff, sore or bored.
Anyway, I suffer slightly from vertical limitation (I've got short legs and the bike is tall) so I find that I have to plan my stops and decide which leg I need to put down before stopping so I can slide the appropriate arse cheek off to reach the ground. Pulled out of my drive yesterday and stopped on the road to adjust the mirrors like I do every time but this time I stopped on the crest of the road camber which meant I was a fraction of an inch higher than I had planned. Bike went over and I got my right don't down and managed to hold it but I was in that terrible tipping point scenario where I could have held it like that for hours but I knew was never going to be able to get it back up straight. Sinking realisation set in that I was going to have to gently lay her down so I bit the bullet and ever so gently laid her on her right side, stepped off and raised her back up again very little damage to the bike except...
The fairing bolt down low was pressed against the clutch cover and applied pressure to the rubber type of gasket thing close to the noise damper (I assume that's what it is) and caused a bulge. I've noticed from checking online that many of the Connie engines I see for sale have this very same mark on the clutch cover. Would anyone gdpd have any advice on how to proceed. What exactly do I need to replace? How do I go about repairing it? Is it just pull off the clutch cover and remove the damper from the inside and replace whatever is between the damper and cover? What is it by the way, is it another gasket or is it some type of sealant? All advice gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Clutch cover question following an embarrassing drop.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:09:36 pm »
I believe you are talking about the round cover on the clutch cover, which I guess is just a decorative cover. I've never taken that cover off, but it's held on by a single nut inside the clutch cover, take a look at Brock Delp's microfiche: Engine Covers.

I don't think it would leak even if the gasket is compromised, as there is also a grommet at the nut, but perhaps someone will correct me. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it unless it was making noise or leaking.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Kazawhaki

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:43 pm »
Thanks Willy, yea I think it's the damper in that diagram. I had a look this morning and ran my finger around it and it pushed back into place so hopefully that will sort it. I'll keep an eye to see if there's any leaks.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 03:07:13 pm »
   Noel, welcome to the Concours forum.  :great: :great: 
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Kazawhaki

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 03:23:32 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Mettler.  :great: :great: :great:

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 04:21:18 pm »
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

A ton of GOOD info and videos here.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:47:25 pm »
Welcome.

Similar thing had happened to be when I laid the bike down on the right side, gently.

One of the bottom fairing nuts had actually scratched the lower edge of the clutch cover and somehow grabbed and pulled a couple of inches of that rubber gasket out of its groove. I used the tip of a flathead screwdriver to gently push the gasket back into the groove and no problems so far.

I always wondered what that damn gasket was for and why they just didn't use one solid piece. They are Japanese so they must have higher reasoning.

Is that cover just cosmetic? What happens if that gasket is torn or removed? There was no oil on the other side of the rubber gasket. What is is sealing?

Anyone... enlighten me please...

Offline Kazawhaki

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
Hey Dc, glad to hear I'm not alone. Like I said there's a few photos of engines for sale online and some have the exact same scratch on the clutch cover so it has happened to other Connie riders out there. Guess we were just unfortunate enough to pull the gasket with the fairing bolt   :-[ :-[  There must be oil in behind it somewhere cos the little bit of gasket that I damaged was enough to let some oil out. The manual says it's a damper to reduce noise or something along those lines.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 10:05:31 pm »
If the cover is not damaged you can replace the gasket. It's a little more than ten bucks. But I still don't understand the reasoning for that seemingly poor design.