Author Topic: Clutch fluid  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Mike

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12032
  • Membership Level: Active
Clutch fluid
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:42:05 am »
What does the clutch fluid do,and how often should it changed? Iam a confused I thought the engine oil worked with the clutch somehow. Thanks mike l

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
Re: Clutch fluid
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:13 am »
The engine oil lubricates the actual clutch unit encased in the engine. (That is why engine oil has to be compatible for wet clutch usage)

The actuator of the clutch on the C10 is hydraulic. The master cylinder on the handlebar pushes hydraulic fluid to the slave cylinder (somewhat like a brake caliper) mounted on the left side of the engine which in turn pushes a rod that actuates the clutch.

Some other bikes have a mechanical actuated clutch that uses a cable at the handlebar that actuates the clutch.

To your question of how often, every year or two I bleed the hydraulic fluid in the clutch and the brakes.

97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:05:46 am »
Use DOT4 fluid I dont know why but its what is required
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline Solomookie

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11738
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
I believe my brother told me that DOT4 fluid is used because of its heat handling capabilities.
'98 Connie x 2, farkle expenditures nearing the GNP of Bolivia; it's a sickness.

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »
Brake fluid has high heat properties to keep it from boiling under heavy brake use (and/or locked brakes). The clutch system doesn't really need that, but it uses the same fluid being a hydraulic system.
Don't mix convention brake fluid with the high end silicone stuff (DOT 5??).
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 02:41:12 pm »
I agree, don't mix or use silicone fluid unless the system is specifically designed for it.  I did that once on a Goldwing, it swelled up the seals in both the master cyl. and caliper and I had to replace them all.  Wasn't a pleasant experiment!
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Mike

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 03:06:56 pm »
Thanks guys for the info. I might need to service it.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »
Iffn you don't know when it was changed,, change it and the brake fluids, also. Have fun.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Mike

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:21:08 pm »
Good point.history unknown?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 09:34:36 pm »
If the fluid in the reservoirs is dark and not clear, it needs to be changed. A handy tool is a Mity Vac. The handoperated one is available at Sears. I got mine on sale for $27.00.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 01:07:41 am »
All right on except for one thing... Clutch fluid can get pretty hot. The C10 is fortunately built with a clutch slave cylinder that's exposed to fresh air. We get caught in traffic, heat builds up, and clutch slave gets pretty hot.
Other bikes have slaves buried under decorative panels, and get really hot. A couple of years ago our CMA chapter participated in the local Independence Day parade, one bike had a complete clutch failure, and another had serious issues. An hour later they were both OK after the clutches cooled, but the clutch fluid boiled on both.
Following year we made sure we were ahead of the Shriners and their powered Big Wheels so we could keep moving.
Bottom line, clutches can get toasty.
Jorge

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 01:34:21 am »
DOT4 fluid has a higher boiling point than DOT3, which is found in about 99% of cars on the road.

If your clutch and brake fluid looks like chocolate milk, change it.
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Mike

• Moped
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 09:35:26 am »
Thanks for all the info going to get it changed.

Offline Duderonomy

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 12:50:46 pm »
I bought a low mileage 2000 c10 last fall. Changed clutch and brake fluid right away. After about 2500 miles I was experiencing shift trouble. Clutch fluid was like camp coffee. Changed and bled system, now it shifts like buttah! My question is why so soon? Seems like 2500 miles is a short interval to change this fluid. I used Valvoline DOT 3&4 from auto store, is that a poor choice maybe a higher quality fluid would last longer?

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 02:05:31 pm »
Did you remove and clean the master and slave cylinder and thoroughly flush the line or just bleed the system? 

Offline Duderonomy

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 02:29:04 pm »
Alas, no I did not! I figure next bleed I will especially if it seems to be another short interval. I had the same thought!

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 02:41:00 pm »
Once you get everything cleaned and bled, the clutch should be good for 6 months to a year.  The brakes can go longer.  If you start with a clean system and bleed when the fluid in the master cylinder just starts to discolor, bleeding alone should be sufficient for the clutch for several years.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 07:07:31 pm »
I cleaned my master cylinder and flushed the fluid but the clutch still didnt feel so great. Then i took the slave a apart. It was not a pretty sight.
I guess all the grunge goes to the lowest point and gathers.
 Cleaned that and flushed the fluids again now it works properly.
 point is , if your going to clean it  then go ahead and pull it all apart. its not rocket science  and youll be glad you did it.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline HSVScott

• HSVScott
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12376
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:51:02 pm »
I just received rebuild kits for my clutch master and slave cylinders.  My bike is new to me and Those Who Know Such Things advise to replace all fluids when you get a used Connie.  This will be my first fluid change.  Reading through the forum I've found several folks (like summa you guys) who found major gunkage in the system.  I figured, if I'm gonna have to take everything apart and clean it, I might as well do a rebuild while I'm at it and hopefully get another 50k miles out of the deal.

The parts I bought are K&L brand.  Anyone have experience with them?

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:09 pm »
That's the manufacturer of the rebuild kits I bought from Murph.  Did the clutch master and slave cylinders as well as the brake master cylinder and all three calipers.  There was no kit for the rear brake master cylinder.

My clutch SC was toast, sounds you picking up a used unit off eBay.  Worked great!

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:33 am »
If it's your first time trying a flush and rebuild on this bike, the clutch, especially, can be difficult to purge all the air out of the master cylinder.  When bleeding be sure the reservoir cap is in place (doesn't have to be screwed down) and after you close the bleed nipple, let the lever, or pedal, "snap" back into resting position.  This works very well for purging the master cylinder and will save you a lot of time, frustration and brake fluid.  Once you have the clutch system clean, bleed when the reservoir fluid begins to discolor (about 6 to 8 month for me).  It's been 4 years since I cleaned my slave and the color of the first squirt of fluid during periodic bleeding has matched the slightly discolored fluid in the reservoir with no coffee-like substances emerging from the slave cylinder.

Offline Duderonomy

• Big Wheels
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »
Whats good to use for cleaning the MC/SC, Brakleen or similar spray?

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 12:24:19 pm »
Whats good to use for cleaning the MC/SC, Brakleen or similar spray?

once you dissemble  the MC and /or the SC you can use brake cleaner  and compressed air. I know ill get some slack from this but i have no problem cleaning the parts in my sink using hot water.
 the thing is you must make sure you get all the water removed before assembly. water does not play well with brake fluid.

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:07 pm »
If it's your first time trying a flush and rebuild on this bike, the clutch, especially, can be difficult to purge all the air out of the master cylinder.  When bleeding be sure the reservoir cap is in place (doesn't have to be screwed down) and after you close the bleed nipple, let the lever, or pedal, "snap" back into resting position.  This works very well for purging the master cylinder and will save you a lot of time, frustration and brake fluid.  Once you have the clutch system clean, bleed when the reservoir fluid begins to discolor (about 6 to 8 month for me).  It's been 4 years since I cleaned my slave and the color of the first squirt of fluid during periodic bleeding has matched the slightly discolored fluid in the reservoir with no coffee-like substances emerging from the slave cylinder.

I used my MityVac and cleared it out pretty good, then pulled the clutch MC apart as well as the clutch SC.  I made sure to get all the old fluid out and used a bit of BrakeCleen with compressed air.  I replaced the clutch line with Speigler braided line from Murphs.

Offline Scattered-Smothered

• S.S.
  • Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12196
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 11:49:47 am »
After my rebuild of the master and slave cylinder I fought getting the air out the system for a long time. Months. The lever would get tight, but it just never felt right. I tried using the mityvac, shop manual procedure, zip tying the lever over night , doing the snap to the lever trick and even witchcraft.. Lol. Nothing I tried would get that last little bit of air out. What I found out was happening was the bleeder screw was letting a small amount back into the system by the threads of the screw itself. I'm sure there are things you can do to put on them to keep that from happening. But I ended up getting speed bleeder acrews from NAPA. I put one in there and within 3 pumps of the clutch lever my clutch was working like it never had before.
You can call me SS. Short for Scattered-Smothered and it's not because of hash browns. You will know when we meet.  Currently own a 1987 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000. Past bikes. 1972 Honda 350Four. 1984 Honda Nighthawk 750. 1980 Yamaha 650 Special. 2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500