Author Topic: Clutch lever feels like it is depressing slightly when throttle applied  (Read 235 times)

Offline captainporksword

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12668
  • Membership Level: Active
I have installed replacement double star spring from murphs and made sure all the shrapnel was accounted for but it seems like my clutch lever pulls in slightly or gets a little squishy bit of play for a few mm when i lay on the throttle and when i cut the throttle the clutch lever becomes firm and crisp. Is this normal for the bike it is not slipping at all and still shifts smoothly but I'm worried it might be something more like needing to rebuild the slave cylinder or the lines just being bad.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Clutch lever feels like it is depressing slightly when throttle applied
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:00:36 pm »
I have installed replacement double star spring from murphs and made sure all the shrapnel was accounted for but it seems like my clutch lever pulls in slightly or gets a little squishy bit of play for a few mm when i lay on the throttle and when i cut the throttle the clutch lever becomes firm and crisp. Is this normal for the bike it is not slipping at all and still shifts smoothly but I'm worried it might be something more like needing to rebuild the slave cylinder or the lines just being bad.

Couple questions...

What year bike?
When you installed "the kit" did you install the new type nut, that came in the kit? Very important....
When you reassembled, did you offset the last friction plate, the outboard one, into the notch instead of the slot all the others go into? Very very important.. that last plate must be installed in the "notch" not the "slot"...
Do you have a factory service manual?

Now, did you completely re bleed the sytem, repeatedly, to insure it has no air?

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline captainporksword

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:00:18 am »
yes used replacement nut and last plate was definately in the offset position followed the actual Kawasaki Service manual. Its a 1993 when I bled the fluid I just filled the resivoir to the brim with fresh fluid 3x and pumped it through the lines until what came out the bottom was clean being careful not to get bubbles in or let it get too low as I was doing it. I havent actually looked at the condition of the slave cylinder inside but the rubber where the lever presses on the piston seems like it has a crack in it with no fluid leaking out or anything also the lever still sits flush on the metal part of the piston its not laying on the rubber boot part. here is a picture of the the cracked bit http://imgur.com/a/nJlUD

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 12:47:08 am »
The boot in the photo is just a dust seal, no big deal with that..
The clutch as it is now, not slipping, seems fine also, never really noticed any discernable feel as you described on either of my connies, but then once I relase the clutch under aceleration, inseldom had my hand on the lever...for thousands of miles.
As for the description about. Under decceleration, it tightens right back up, that simply tells you the "slipper cam" portion of the clutch assembly is working properly.. I don't think there is any apparent issue, or cause for concern at this point. Rebuilding the slave cylinder may, or should, take away any cause for worry, if you do so decide to do it, makensure you replace the seals, and also the spring.. I know when I rebuilt them, the spring did show a massive improvement in clutch return, and reliable feel.. a 93 is probably due for a rebuild, my 86 & 88 both benefitted from the service, and when compared, the "new" springs were a few MM longer in free state length, than the old original ones were.. I'm sure after 30 years, they did take a set...and over time somewhat fatigued..

I wouldn't loose sleep over it tho.  Winter project?

Ride safe

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline captainporksword

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 02:48:36 pm »
Daily driver unless i want to use my buick with windows taped up and no AC lol. Im trying to tighten everything up because I will have to be commuting almost 2 hours a day for work soon. I just ordered everything to do valves and rebuild carbs too since its unknown weather or not they were ever done and almost 40k on the bike Ive noticed it seems to bog a little under heavy throttle since i got it so the carbs are probably dirty and I have access to an ultrasonic carb cleaner now and just scored a motion pro synchronizer for 20$ on ebay