Author Topic: Clutch lever feels notchy upon release  (Read 957 times)

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch lever feels notchy upon release
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:55:51 pm »
2005 C10 54,500 miles. When letting out on clutch during gear changes if I'm not deliberately smooth I feel a notchy or chunky feeling when letting the lever go.  There is some vertical play in the lever-to- master assembly but the bike had aftermarket levers and the play is the same with both those and stock. Glass smooth on the squeeze of the lever.  Maybe the brass bushing in there that pushes on the piston? Looks like that would be a wear item. I put a tiny bit of moly on the outside when I put it back together.  Any ideas?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: Clutch lever feels notchy upon release
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »
It might be possible you have a broken start spring.
 Most people (including me when mine broke)  describe the clutch lever feeling like a 'Double Bump'  feeling when releasing the clutch lever.
Also under wide open full throttle the clutch will tend to slip on its own.. The harder you drive it the more you feel a 'double bump' when releasing the clutch lever- it is the clutch basket rattlling back and forth in its basket that you could be feeling. If that is what you have there is a repair kit you can buy from Murphs Kits . Its not to bad of a job to do.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:31:36 pm »
Dang I was hoping for easy! Lol I'll check out murph's kit  thanks
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:14:38 pm by Gusto »

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:18:46 pm »
  here it is.

https://www.murphskits.com/index.php?cPath=1_93

I needed an impact wrench to get the nut off to replace the star spring.  And you will need the cover gasket that Murphs' provides with the springs.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 06:50:10 pm »
Could I pull the cover and see a finger of the spring missing? If it's ok just put the cover back on? Sounds like a sidestand job tomorrow afternoon with a couple refreshments!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »
Could I pull the cover and see a finger of the spring missing? If it's ok just put the cover back on? Sounds like a sidestand job tomorrow afternoon with a couple refreshments!!

Once the cover is removed, you still have to remove that outer pressure plate, with the 6 bolts, and springs, then you can see the Star springs, and examine the fingers on them... if they are all intact (6 fingers, 3 on each of the 2 star springs which should be n your bike) then it should be good to go... if you can't see all six fingers, or one looks odd... you will need to pull the clutch stack out, and find the broken piece before re installing the new springs, and a NEW style nut.
Pay close attention to how this all comes apart, things like the nut, and the plates.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:57:43 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:03:18 pm »
Rode the bike home from work. Sure feels lever/housing related.  Even does it low speed under 2k "sometimes" quite a bit of up and down play in clutch lever pin bolt   I'm investigating.  I love this bike!!

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 11:55:41 pm »
The clutch lever bronze bushing to pin fit is no bueno.  Very sloppy. I put my aftermarket levers back for the time being. I hope I can get that bushing and pin from ma law

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 01:08:25 am »
I'm not finding the pivot bushing available. It looks like new levers are only way.  Murph sells stock replacement levers for 20 something each.  Anyone bought those and they feel tight/not sloppy?  I'd like to get a new pushrod bushing too

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 01:49:25 am »
   NEVER had a problem with anything Murphs' sells. I usually get my stuff in 2 days! He ships FAST!! 
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:11:01 am »
I'm not finding the pivot bushing available. It looks like new levers are only way.  Murph sells stock replacement levers for 20 something each.  Anyone bought those and they feel tight/not sloppy?  I'd like to get a new pushrod bushing too

That bushing is not a "replacement" part, its pressed into the lever from factory...
Start with replacing that part only, before buying other parts and stuff, and see if it helps.. (it will, trust me..seen it happen often...)
Grease it good on install, and you're good to go for another 80k miles... :great:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 02:34:17 pm »

That bushing is not a "replacement" part, its pressed into the lever from factory...
Start with replacing that part only, before buying other parts and stuff, and see if it helps.. (it will, trust me..seen it happen often...)
Grease it good on install, and you're good to go for another 80k miles... :great:
I  am pretty sure my pivot bushings were worn out too so I pressed them out- rotated them 90 degrees and pressed them back in- no more play.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 08:16:03 pm »
I just got back from a 50 mile ride and perfect weather I didn't want to come home it was so much fun but anyway took the lever apart and the brass actuator is going all the way into the ground bushings almost all the way so I want to order all new parts tomorrow--- someone suggested that I flip the bushing 180° I did that and it took all the play out of it👍👍👍👍--test drive shows much much improved.  Parts ordered tomorrow. Could live with it with flipped bushing too but what the heck! All new stuff. Thank you coggers!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:59:52 pm by Gusto »

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 01:34:38 pm »
If you're talking about the little bushing that presses against the master cylinder plunger, then you could go to a hobby store and by a brass dowel about the same diameter then drill a hole half way through to accommodate the plunger.  It's not rocket science so a close fit is fine.

Offline burkslaw

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:48 pm »
I have an '86 with 40K miles and I have the exact same problem. It is NOT the star spring-- I replaced that before I noticed this. Mine feels almost like the clutch slave cylinder is not releasing smoothly. Clutch never slips and always engages smoothly, but sometimes it seems to have just a little too much free-play when I release my hand. I think I will pull the slave off and check for gunk build-up.

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 02:11:53 pm »
That's my thought. I'm new here and no doubt the star could cause feel issues but mine is so inconsistent and " right there" in lever. There's 3 brass items that are all worn causing 5/8's inch + vertical slop in lever AND when I turned the main pivot bushing 180 and upside down it drastically improved.  I'm trying to call murph's to see if he has the Kawasaki parts 92002-1322 pin (bolt) and 92028-1310 round bushing that the actuator goes in. I think each one is under 10.00 but I'd rather order everything in one swoop!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:17:47 pm by Gusto »

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 08:12:39 pm »
late to the game here, but this is exactly what happened to me on my 05.  glad you didn't tear into the motor too quickly before you figured this one out.  that bushing is a wear part and I made the mistake of letting mine dry out.

BTW....if you are prone to ride in rain, or wash your bike a lot, get some marine grease for that brass fitting.  it resists water better.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 01:40:48 am »
I got all new parts off eBay on the way!  I'm gonna mix in some moly into the grease

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 10:12:11 am »
I also use the marine grease as sport rider said, on shift linkage, head bearings, axles, etc.
It's easy to come by at most car and big box stores, it's also packaged as boat trailer wheel bearing grease.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 10:13:31 pm »
Update-- I got a new bikemaster OEM replacement lever, round bushing for piston actuator rod and a new bolt for the lever.  It still has the " feeling" on the release but it is much much better. I think it's the nature of the beast. Because the lever is adjustable it has too many moving parts. I'm ok with that. Now back to the clutch star spring question.  Does it slip? Not that I can tell.  3rd gear hard roll on from lower speeds just pulls on out. I think a lot of my problem is me. This is my first bike with 1000cc power and a wet slipper clutch. I might be pulling the clutch lever in too far. If I put the lever adjuster one "1" furthest away.. the clutch disengages in about and inch of travel.  Less than halfway to the handlebar. I don't know if that's normal or indicates the clutch is worn. I started not pulling the lever in all the way and the bike likes it. In a car if the clutch engages right off the floor that can mean it's worn out. So I guess I'm ok cause that means it would engage early close to the handlebar?  The bikes awfully revy on the gear change if I try to shift quick. I do not know how to ride it aggressively! I'll tear the clutch cover off if I have to to check the star spring. I wish there was a cogger here in Dallas that could ride this thing and tell me it's me! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:49:09 pm by Gusto »

Offline Slingblade

• Moped
    • Motorcycle Touring in Pa
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12163
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 12:47:50 am »
I would bet you have some broken star springs in the clutch.  This happened to me and several others.  Mine occurred at around 50k.  It felt like the lever would ‘bump’ on the way out. 
2013 Concours14
Central Pa "Bitter-Clinger" ; )
Romans 8:38-39
http://www.pa-mag.com/motorcycle-touring/
https://www.facebook.com/PaMotorcycleTours/

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 01:06:15 am »
I hear ya.  Common item. I'll take the cover off and check. Does the alternator chain have to removed to get the pressure plate off?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 05:06:07 am »
I hear ya.  Common item. I'll take the cover off and check. Does the alternator chain have to removed to get the pressure plate off?

No

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:35 pm »
  Richard, is that a definite  "NO"! :beerchug: