Author Topic: Clutch life  (Read 160 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clutch life
« on: October 29, 2018, 07:45:11 pm »
I have 97,000 on the original clutch. Not much city driving so I believe that has something to do with the long life. Shift up, get to 6th, and ride for days!

Is this a lot of miles on an original clutch? It's a model year 2000.

I'm having no clutch issues but something I notice is when cruising down the road I don't have to pull the clutch lever in very much at all to get it to disengage

I have no issues with replacing the clutch but don't want to do it if it doesn't need it yet. I have no slippage, as least that I can detect.

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
Re: Clutch life
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:00:06 pm »
Curious, do you use the clutch for upshifts?  As that could apply to your clutch longevity.
I generally do not use the clutch for up-shifting into 3rd thru 6th.  I use the clutch for shifting into 2nd because I don't like landing in neutral.  :motonoises:
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
I use the clutch 99% of the time, for all shifts. I do shift occasionally with no clutch but not very often.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:34:37 pm »
if it isn't slipping.... just leave it be.... :great:
bleed/flush the fluids, carefully not letting the reservoir get low during the process, and run at least a half pint thru during the bleed/flush, and it may/will improve the lever feel... just don't let air ingress into the master during the process...
I did my '86 plates (friction only) at about 105k miles, and only because I had a star sring replacement due to one fracturing... the plates were still fine, just did it because I had $90 to spend during the service interval.. still have those OEM plates, in a bag with oil, as spares for my '88 just "in case", but likely I'll never use them again either..

if it works, don't mess with it... :truce: :great: :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:33:54 pm »
I'm having no clutch issues but something I notice is when cruising down the road I don't have to pull the clutch lever in very much at all to get it to disengage

This is normal.  I have 97,800 on my 2000 - original clutch - all good.  My riding is a mix of commuting, ramming around the out county areas near me and 8 or 9 longer trips to Nationals and other places.

My goal was to get to 100,000 this year but real life kept getting in the way.

I have a clutch stack from a lower mileage C10's I will go to if needed, but I don't expect that to be soon.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:55:37 pm »
  I have a 115,000 on my original clutch plates. Still work fine. I did have to replace the original star springs once but for now all is fine.  :motonoises:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:25 pm »
Old sage once said "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Now for the football game.