Author Topic: coil, wires, ignition, WTF??  (Read 702 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: coil, wires, ignition, WTF??
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 11:20:46 pm »
the FREE fix is to unscrew the plug

To remove the cap, hold the wire and twist the cap off in a counter clockwise direction.  There is a stud inside the cap with what looks like wood screw threads.  To reinstall, you push the stud into the center of the wire and then twist clockwise to thread the stud inside the wire.  No crimps.  HTH

as noted, the 'piercing pin' is actually threaded, and threads into the wire's core about 1/2", the core tends to corrode over time, and the copper wire turns green...

easiest way is to wrap a rag around the wire, to increase your grip, when removing and re-installing after the trim job.. I also squirt some WD40 in the recess the wire goes into, just before I install the cap.

the opposite end of the wire, where it attaches to the coil, has a white plastic 'ferrule' crimp like ring, a sort of 'compression ring' like used on plubing fittings (not the same size tho), so be careful and dont break that ring, slit the insulation, and remove a small wedge, before trying to pull the ring, and gland nut off if you are going to trim that end,   that end shoves into the hole in the coil, and the 'pin' in that hole is not threaded, it's like a needle, so you have to press it in firmly, before sliding the ferrule and gland nut up to thread the nut on... insert the wire till it stops, and note where it stops, then holding the wire wrapped again in a rag, shove it in firmly, it should go in about 3/8", or more, as the pin goes into the core of that wire end. Wigglin and pushing will show you they way....

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 01:13:51 am »
wellnwires and boots did the trick, got 38.81 MPG on this tank and 62 miles of that was becore I changed the plug wires and boots. I think it needed the new boots at least for sure on #2 since it was not grabbing the plug good, at anyrate it is running fine and looks like my milage is gonna be back over 40 easy so think that was the main issue.

I do think the petcock needed to be rebuilt and was leakig a tad so no problems with having done it but had I just changed the wires it would have gone backnto normal. I think what happened was the #2 boot was working its way loose by vibration and made milage go down. Then when I pulled the boots to check plugs it made the issue worse, and again added to that when I pulled putt apart again to dod valve adjust. A few things lined up to cause problems but still say the main problem was worn out boots and old wires.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 10:47:56 am »
the FREE fix is to unscrew the plug

To remove the cap, hold the wire and twist the cap off in a counter clockwise direction.  There is a stud inside the cap with what looks like wood screw threads.  To reinstall, you push the stud into the center of the wire and then twist clockwise to thread the stud inside the wire.  No crimps.  HTH

as noted, the 'piercing pin' is actually threaded, and threads into the wire's core about 1/2", the core tends to corrode over time, and the copper wire turns green...

easiest way is to wrap a rag around the wire, to increase your grip, when removing and re-installing after the trim job.. I also squirt some WD40 in the recess the wire goes into, just before I install the cap.

the opposite end of the wire, where it attaches to the coil, has a white plastic 'ferrule' crimp like ring, a sort of 'compression ring' like used on plubing fittings (not the same size tho), so be careful and dont break that ring, slit the insulation, and remove a small wedge, before trying to pull the ring, and gland nut off if you are going to trim that end,   that end shoves into the hole in the coil, and the 'pin' in that hole is not threaded, it's like a needle, so you have to press it in firmly, before sliding the ferrule and gland nut up to thread the nut on... insert the wire till it stops, and note where it stops, then holding the wire wrapped again in a rag, shove it in firmly, it should go in about 3/8", or more, as the pin goes into the core of that wire end. Wigglin and pushing will show you they way....
Just for future reference, is there a suitable replacement for the plastic compression ferrule?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 09:47:34 pm »
I knew someone would ask... that's why I stressed "don't break it..."
you can find the others at Lowes and Home Depot, the white nylon ferrules used for compression connections in plumbing fittings.. but the size ain't right..
1/4" is too small, 5/16" is too big... actually never tried slitting a 1/4" on an angle, and attempting it, it may work... but then, I was always careful, and cut away the swelled insulation before trying to remove the old one for re-use... it just acts as a clamping force tho, and as hidden as it is, maybe it would work, with a goober of black RTV applied just above it in the nut.. try it... I already changed my wires to Accel 7mm ones, so I don't see taking them off again for a long while

:beerchug: :great:

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 09:55:39 pm »
Mob, how prevalence is this wire corrosion issue? Don't read of it much. How can it be prevented in the first place?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 10:46:45 pm »
sooner or later they all do it, or will, simple thing, but time in service is the factor, and also how much moisture the bike has seen during it's life.

Most folks just buy a completely new wire set with caps... when it can be fixed, for free.. in 99% of the cases... they just don't realize the issue, as it's "INVISIBLE", until pointed out... (I've probably written about this procedure 30 times or more, in 15 years, on both forums..)
It starts off as a degradation of performance, and then intermittent "cold plug" scenarios, and finally, a total non firing plug.. also, many people "pull" on the wire itself, during removal of the cap.... this starts the progression of having a compromised internal connection of the pin, and wire, again invisible, which allows a more rapid progression of corrosion, and also internal 'arcing' inside the wire/pin interface in the insulation... and it progresses from there, corroding and turning the core green, and non conductive, till no conduction is there anymore.

for something so simple, as a trim and reinstall, a lot of money has been spent...
Understand, I'm not slighting the people who sell replacement wires, that's all good, and some folks want "new", myself as a cheap bastich, just fixes the cause, and moves on.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:50:12 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 03:08:27 am »
final update, last tank got 43.6 MPG, so seems all is back to normal and confirms plug wires and boots were my issue.