Author Topic: Connecting Rod Refurbishing  (Read 288 times)

Offline SCATES

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11051
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Connecting Rod Refurbishing
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »
I am in the process of rebuilding a hyrolocked C10 as a basic 1052cc build with ZRX pistons and 88-90 ZX10 connecting rods.  I am pulling my hair out to find good rods in decent shape though.  The last batch of four I bought off of eBay had issues -- one was bent and three of the straight ones have scoring inside the small ends. Only one of the (three) straight rods has superficial scoring marks which I can't feel with my fingers so I think it's a keeper. 

I am also scheduled to receive a set of three 88-90 ZX10 rods from another source later today but the seller isn't certain what bike they came out of so I'll be measuring them all over for fit once they arrive. 

Assuming the three that arrive today match the other three straight ones, I will pick the best four for my build and mate them to the ZRX pistons and pins.  But I want durable wrist pin connections so I can put many miles on this bike.  In some bikes, the pistons need to be boiled to 150*-180* to press in and out the wrist pins but I didn't see anything close to that wrist pin tightness on my teardown or the ZX10 rods (which had throwaway pistons on them). 

Does anyone know if there is an oversized wrist pin available so I can bore out the small ends of the con rods for a precision fit?  I assume that the ZRX pistons would need to be bore matched as well. 

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Connecting Rod Refurbishing
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:41:25 pm »
just hit the small end with a small hone and they'll probably be fine. Roll your pins on a flat surface (glass) to be sure they're straight. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home