Author Topic: Leaking & replaced petcock question  (Read 1122 times)

Offline MSRev

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Leaking & replaced petcock question
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:21:03 am »
I checked out a 2000 C-10 today with 31,500 miles. Started good and ran good. The owner said the petcock was leaking so it was replaced. He said it did not make any noises when he started it before or after the replacement. I feel I can trust him. He was open concerning several issues. The right fork has leaked some. The coolant reservoir seems to be empty after a few rides. New birg on front. The rear tire is a dunlop 404 (or is it a 405).

Should I pass?

Pastor Tyler

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Leaking & replaced petcock question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:37:14 am »
Price might be worth giving us.  :truce:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline MSRev

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:48:36 am »
opps, $1900

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10513
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:52:05 am »
Assuming you come to terms on price, show up with cash, and seal the deal in principal, doesn't the final step in the purchase have to include taking off the tank and plugs and doing a quick check?

I'm not suggesting to spring it on him last minute.  Just let him know up front it is the final stipulation in the deal.  Looking at it objectively, that makes sense to me.

Seagiant needs to post more!
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
On two wheels:

Offline Kawadog

• Moped
  • COG#: 10024
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:05 am »
Sounds good to me...The petcock is one if the very few weakness on this bike.

2000 mdl bike has springs in the front fork ...so someone else would have to comment on the leak.

Coolant reservoir is no big deal...Could be just a hole in the hose going there or it is a hole from a screw that is too long both of which can be fixed for almost nothing.

It sounds as it is a very low mileage bike...Ck for Hydro lock. A large negotiating point.. If #1 or#4 you will have to split cases...Current project of mine...you could not buy mine for $1,900....

If she runs good, no hydrolock, compression in spec...Go for It!

LV Mine

Mark

Offline dave_h

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11771
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:02:58 am »
The owner said the petcock was leaking so it was replaced.

I'm assuming the replacement petcock was OEM. Personally, if it was my bike I'd ditch the OEM unit for one of Murph's "on/off/reserve" manual units. With Murph's unit as long as you remember to turn it off when you kill the engine you'll never have a problem hydrolock. I've got one on my bike and couldn't be happier.

.The petcock is one if the very few weakness on this bike.

If you're not familiar with the C10's poorly designed petcock problems you might want to do a search.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:46:40 am »
 Myself I do not believe the petcock is a poor design. Mine lasted 18yrs. What is the expiration date. How long do you expect a petcock to last. A manual petcock is also a poor design if you forget to turn it off.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mf-rabbit

• Moped
  • COG#: 9851
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:36 am »
Myself I do not believe the petcock is a poor design. Mine lasted 18yrs. What is the expiration date. How long do you expect a petcock to last. A manual petcock is also a poor design if you forget to turn it off.
Have to agree but none the less I got a pingle and never looked back,Thank God that few times in the begining I did forget to turn it off my carbs held back the flow anyway this should not become a petcock thread----When I got my bike I was not that well informed about the dreaded hydrolock but if I would purchase another connie I would make it a must before purchase!!!!Otherwise sounds like a good deal!

Roger

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »
I agree that the lack of coolant in the overflow tank isn't a huge deal. I also agree that you should pull the tank and plugs and do a hydrolock check before any money changes hands. It's a pretty easy check. SISF has a video on how to do it. If that checks out good, the bike shows no damage (to speak of, it is 13 years old after all), and you are otherwise satisfied ... .   The price is not unreasonable. It would put you on the fastest color though. :D
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline MSRev

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »
Pretty much my sentiments. Thanks for the help. Now go at it on the petcock if it makes you fell better.  :))

Pastor Tyler

Offline mick

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 05:43:30 pm »
I have a new to me 2003, has 19000 miles have had for about 6 months. let set for a few weeks. Started, fuel dripping steady from petcock  :'(. Got on forum and saw all the sad stories about faulty petcocks. Ordered a replacement from Murphs. Began to drain tank, fuel appears to be leaking from diaphragm in prime mode. Got tank off and was able to tighten screws at rear of diaphragm. Put tank back on started bike now a slow drip from diaphragm area. Now, should I replace whole unit or try to get diaphragm and just replaced it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:58 pm »
Suit yourself on this one.  If it is only an external leak, I MIGHT try a diaphragm.  If it's leaking internally, I'd buy a new OE petcock every time.  I've rebuilt a number of them and had some successes and some failures. So I'm all about the brand new one. That's just me.... the guy that will re-use or rebuild just about anything to save a buck, but won't scrimp on a petcock.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 06:39:53 pm »
I rebuilt the petcock on the two the connies I have owned and one for a friend with no issues.  Only use OEM parts from Kawasaki.  It only takes a few minutes to do.  I did notice slight weeping lately when on prime but that is fairly common and it has been five years.  Maybe time to do a little PM.  I might even do the pingel in order to run the carbs dry.  I do have overflow tubes.           

Offline mick

• Big Wheels
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 01:20:51 am »
Did replace with the Murphs no more leaks :)!! But did drop tank >:( now have a nice dent.

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:32:38 am »
opps, $1900

Offer 1500 and ride it home !  :motonoises:
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 10:22:16 pm »
^ +1 for that!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline SCATES

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11051
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 06:43:57 pm »
I had an external fual leak from my petcock so I simply rebuilt mine.  It was very inexpensive and easy to do (even with Stealer parts).  Then the bike hydrolocked.  I'm thinking my petcock rebuild solved the external leak, which then masked the internal leak, resulting in bent connecting rods and splitting the cases.  This was my experience, however anecdotal.