Author Topic: Connie dies for no apparent reason  (Read 367 times)

Offline Octavio

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Connie dies for no apparent reason
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:03:57 pm »
Hello everyone,
I searched in the forum for discussions re my issue but was unable to find anything about it.

For no apparent reason, my Connie began shutting off on me while I ride. I know it's an electrical issue but cannot figure it out.

I know it's not an electrical short. It unexpectedly dies and then it turns on again. When it dies, all my electrical system is off. The light won't come on, then, after either a few seconds or even a few minutes, everything comes back on and she fires right up.

I want to thank you all ahead of time for any and all help. This is my first Connie and I love the way she rides and she only has 86,500 miles on her. I maintain her well and am hoping to be able to ride her until she has at least 150,000 miles.

-Gus

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Connie dies for no apparent reason
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »
   Try a search about the J Box. I don't know squat about electrical stuff but J box is a good place to start.

Go to search type in      JBox
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:21:22 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:04 pm »
Remove the battery, abrasively clean the connections, on the battery, and cables, and reconnect the battery...
Please don't respond with "the connections are tight"....

How old is the battery? What year is the bike?

If the battery is over 2 years old, take it to an autoparts store, and have it load tested... free... don't say "I checked it with a voltmeter, and it has 12 v"..
Load testing will show if there is internal faults, that show up when a load is placed on it, hot, which will self connect again when cold.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Online Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »
Take a look at the bullet connector below the j box for corrosion/tight connection. I believe it Is either a yellow or tan wire.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Octavio

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:58 pm »
Thank you all for your help!

As soon as I'm out of work I will look into the bullet connector below the j box and will also take it to the auto parts store and have it load tested.

She is a 1997 and the battery is a couple of years old so having it load tested is a great idea.

Thank you guys!
-Gus

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:58:27 pm »
Definitely sounds like Jbox...80 bucks for larry to rebuild, and  you'll get it back in a week. Good insurance.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:33:31 am »
I'd bet JBOX too.

It's really an easy item to open and inspect - you probably have a weak solder joint in there (maybe cracked). So it loses connection as it heats up or vibrates.

Where are you Gus? Maybe a nearby COGger can help.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 05:55:40 am »
Question for you guys pointing at the J box as cause.

O/P stated the bike shut off while he was riding it....

Have any of you experienced that, and associated that issue with the j box where servicing said box fixed the problem?

Just asking. :??:

I've never seen it occur, bike shutting off while riding that is... attributed to jbox.

I have seen batteries with broken internal plate ties that when heated during running and charging, and vibrating, opened... and once cooled, they dlose and reconnect.

Offline KellyfromVA

• Moped
  • COG#: 10670
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:01 am »
What about a flaky kick stand switch? 

Online Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 10:37:15 am »
Kickstand switch wouldn't kill the lights.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »

Have any of you experienced that, and associated that issue with the j box where servicing said box fixed the problem?

I've never seen it occur, bike shutting off while riding that is... attributed to jbox.

I have seen batteries with broken internal plate ties that when heated during running and charging, and vibrating, opened... and once cooled, they dlose and reconnect.

I think that as flakey as a JBOX gets when its compromised, anything is possible. On my 86, many moons ago, it would cut out...but it would get going again after I hit a bump or something jarred it. Swapped the box, and never had the issue again.
Current Bikes:

Offline Brian

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 6374
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:09 pm »

Yep, it happened to me. The  bike died at about 50 miles an hour during a scavenger hunt rally I was doing at the time.  Fortunately I was about 40 miles from home and called for my trailer. Once I got the bike home I swapped the jbox from a barn bike I had at the time and was on my way within about 2 hours.  I did not score as well as I had hoped, but I did finish the rally.

I rebuilt the jbox by replacing the relays and reflowed the solder joints.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:48:29 pm by Brian »
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
Won't are connies, once started, keep running with the battery removed
from the bike?  I believe unless dead shorted it should not kill the engine.
If shorted it should heat something up really hot and not restart.
Someone needs to test this.
As has been pointed out my bet is on the J-box.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:45 pm »
Won't are connies, once started, keep running with the battery removed
from the bike?  I believe unless dead shorted it should not kill the engine.
If shorted it should heat something up really hot and not restart.
Someone needs to test this.
As has been pointed out my bet is on the J-box.

Heh, yeah also on my 86, my battery was dead. I mean ded ded. I brought munitions to jump her when I got her from storage, but I figured the battery would get charged and spring back to life. Nooooot so much. When I turned it off, it wouldn't come back. No dim lights, no clicking, zero. I was of that opinion too that battery was just a luxury at that point.   :D
Current Bikes:

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »

Well, considering the main relay is in there, heck ALL power comes through there, why WOULDN'T a flaky connection there cause it to die? If it causes it to not start, would cause it to die, when moving , which rattles it around even more.

I would expect to see this behavior more than fail-to-start. But a good question - some stats would be interesting...not that we have any! :o
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:24:16 pm by JimBob »

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »

I know it's not an electrical short. 

Well we don't really know that just yet.

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be a "start from the ground, and work your way to the top of the tree" problem.

I stand by starting at the J-Box, BECAUSE it's an easy to verify thing (cheap in labor hours), with a fairly high probability (JBox is a known problem). If nothing else you get verification the JBox isn't the issue.

I'd even check it before I'd do anything else (other than battery), simply because it's easier to get to than just about anything else.

Pull up a wiring diagram, take a look at the ignition circuit - note where there are connections that can possibly work loose - those are your next things to verify.

When the engine dies do you lose power to anything else (lights)? That would indicate the failure is in a more primary circuit (not just ignition).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:31:18 pm by JimBob »

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 04:45:36 pm »
Don't forget to remove and inspect the 30 amp fuse in the j-box.  Also, when you re-insert it, make sure it's a tight fit.

Offline ErikB_76

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12632
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 06:21:55 pm »

Yes, my 2002 died on me 3 times. Still had turn signals. Restarted after whacking on left side JBox area. No problems since JBox rebuild by Larry.

On a '94+ Connie, main relay failure will shut off the engine, headlight and tail light. Turn signals will work.
On a pre '94 Connie, main relay failure will shut off the headlight and tail light but continue to run. Turn signals will work.

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/jBoxDiagnosis.htm
2002 Connie
1997 Royal Star

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »

Yes, my 2002 died on me 3 times. Still had turn signals. Restarted after whacking on left side JBox area. No problems since JBox rebuild by Larry.

On a '94+ Connie, main relay failure will shut off the engine, headlight and tail light. Turn signals will work.
On a pre '94 Connie, main relay failure will shut off the headlight and tail light but continue to run. Turn signals will work.

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/jBoxDiagnosis.htm

Welllll, that explains what I wasn't aware of... both my C10's were pre '94....
That, and I seemed to have missed the posts of bikes dieing while running due to J box up until now. :truce: